Author Topic: UVS models: Salute 2021 11/12/2020  (Read 202959 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: UVS models
« Reply #465 on: March 10, 2019, 10:08:42 pm »
Captions in 2 different books say the captured FF is a VC . Oh , you mean this box ....the stowage diagram says its for greatcoats . I'm thinking it's probably a unit specific item as not many photos I've seen show it

I haven't found the other side view of the IC diagrams , but I did find both views of the VC

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:16:37 pm by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #466 on: March 11, 2019, 01:47:41 am »
Nice find, yes that box.

I am going to have to sort out a timeline for British Shermans. The Osprey Firefly book (by David Fletcher) only mentions the hybrid almost as a throwaway line on page 46 after mentioning M4 shortage in August 1944. I know there is a difference between production and delivery dates, and the Firefly conversion is going to set them back further. The Oliver book lists only two Polish ICs in 21st Army Group in June 1944.

I have found a IC hybrid with a Firefly box on the front from 7th AD, probably B squadron, Vth Inniskilling Dragoon Guards (NVG 141 page 33).

I have just identified the X76 tank, 153rd (Leicester Yeomanry) RA, Guards Tank Division AOP. Page 17 in the Dennis Oliver book. I missed that in the BTIN  book (page 37).

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #467 on: March 11, 2019, 04:31:27 pm »
I am part way through tagging Firefly (and hybrids) photographs in my limited books, hopefully I will have something useful soon.

In the meantime, here is the result of one of my making things harder for my self (see also Panzer III).

So I have removed the crank from the hybrid's rear plate, with the sandshields in place.

Now I am not sure if I need to go full ALCO on the hull, I will need to look at the filters in the photographs.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 11, 2019, 11:00:30 pm »
The round type was used first ( in the M2 & M3 Lee ) , the square one was seen on the production line  Lees in 42. It looks like  both types of oil bath filters where in the supply chain for the M4 / M4A1 ( only visible on Radial engine tanks ? ) through out the war . For what it's worth , Dragon gives you the option of either on most of their M4 kits . I would think the factories would use what ever type filter they had in stock at the time of build ( just like wheels ) , so you'll get small variations in each factory run
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 12:23:12 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #469 on: March 12, 2019, 03:13:59 am »
I had seen the difference in the instructions, but it says for the Firefly use the round type, so I did.

Minutia says all Chrysler composites had square section filters, and thinks any with round section ones indicates the previously unknown ALCO hybrid hulls.

I am looking through the photographs.

As you say, they are likely to fit what they have.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 12, 2019, 08:28:53 am »
Aw yes , if I only had a dollar for every time I decided to remove a molded on piece of detail or cut open a hatch after I had built the kit ::) I feel your frustration and probably pain as well, because if your like me you stabbed , jabbed or some how snagged your finger or thumb with a shiny sharp x acto blade or pin vise drill bit .
And why is it that parts I want to remove and reuse somewhere else ( like molded on  tools ) never seem to come off in one piece , and other bits I'm just going to trash come off perfect ? I love this hobby .....
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:32:41 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #471 on: March 13, 2019, 12:11:09 am »

This looks like the NVG141 plate G1 of a 4th New Zealand Armoured Brigade VC with the 'Platypus' grousers made from lengths of angle iron.
Very Boudicca.

These photos are all from Hayward’s book on the Firefly:

1 Unit not identified; Germany
2 B Squadron, Fort Garry Horse; Netherlands
3 Unit not identified; Italy
4 Same
So photo 3 might be 4th New Zealand Armoured Brigade.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 12:22:19 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 13, 2019, 01:04:06 am »
New Zealand troops made their own groucers , I ddin't know that . There seems to be some faded / scratched marking on the right rear below the tail light , plus the turret number style 2 and a small "a" might also help identify it . IRC Capricorn (Polish or Czech Pub house ?) had a series of books on M4 markings , New Zealand , South African , Canadian and Brit troops . Check the Armorama site under books to find out about it . I'm blocked from some of my fav sites here at work

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #473 on: March 13, 2019, 01:32:09 am »
Southsea Grizzly (it has cast in upgraded armour).

Round air filters.

They could be paint cans for all we know...

Grizzly formerly at Duxford.

More shots of the Southsea example here: https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2019/03/grizzling-m4a1-grizzly-southsea.html

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 13, 2019, 07:03:09 am »
Notice each vehicle has the Tac sign on different sides  ::) . The book I was thinking of was from Model Centrum Publishing , their website seems to be 404 , but IRC they are available from Casement Publishing in the UK . Last book review of theirs was Jan 2019 so they're still around . They  have a couple of newish books on the BEF , might have to check that out if I get a 3 pack of Matildas

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:06:40 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #475 on: March 13, 2019, 04:30:06 pm »
I would say to disregard the one previously at Duxford as it is painted as Akilla which in reality had a welded hull, but I have seen a caption noting transposed marks. Of course it would help if I could remember where I saw the caption...

I have had a look at the BEF book (they have it in the Ian Allan bookshop in Birmingham.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 13, 2019, 08:35:10 pm »
The Tac sign is supposed to go on the left front ( when facing tank ) and right rear , but some units have it left when facing tank ( front & rear ) , some have in the middle of the hull nose and some ( Poles for example ) have it right side facing beside the Division sign .... any wonder Museums  get it wrong / right  :o

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 15, 2019, 09:47:02 pm »
I think I might of figured this X insignia out

BTiN pg 12 ( soft cover 2012) says the X identifies the Battery Commander on this 3rd RHA Artillery OP tank ( missing dummy gun )

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #478 on: March 15, 2019, 09:58:47 pm »
I think I might of figured this X insignia out

BTiN pg 12 ( soft cover 2012) says the X identifies the Battery Commander on this 3rd RHA Artillery OP tank ( missing dummy gun )

Well spotted.
So it is the battery commander of 153rd (Leicester Yeomanry) RA, Guards Tank Division.
Page 17 in the Dennis Oliver book,  BTIN  book page 37.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #479 on: March 16, 2019, 04:13:43 am »
While we were looking at the various Sherman I photographs, I got  distracted assembling last year's Tiger II purchase.

As you might have noticed from my posting on OGH's Tiger II WIP, it did not go well.

Now waiting for the weather to improve to get it undercoated.

Regular Sherman I Hybrid service will resume shortly.