Author Topic: What's Warlord up to?  (Read 88143 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What's Warlord up to?
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2018, 08:45:56 pm »
While all these new plastic sets for Bolt Action are easier to put together , most guys end up having a lot of the same figures on the game table .  I still mix and match my figures using the older single figure and weapons sprues  to get unique kit bashed troops   . I wonder if Warlord is going to delete some of these earlier sets and weather I should pick up a few sprues during the next 2 for 1 sprue sale ?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2018, 08:47:11 pm »
Integral arms and weapons do reduce the misalignment at hands but there should be enough weapons to equip the whole sprue with the same basic weapon (or at worst all bar an NCO with an SMG). I still manage to misalign the shoulders

The "Morecambe and Wise" pose is not helpful, especially if you end up with five per box. Not as bad as half of the original plastic Vegemarines. Slightly better than the content of the old Wargames Factory survivors and zombies boxes.

I would certainly keep the separate helmet, they come in useful for putting on tanks. I do need to find the US army sprue for a helmet to go on my French Charged.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:54:31 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2018, 08:52:18 pm »
@Ripley - If the two sets of figure are compatible, that is probably a good plan, the separate weapons make for easier conversions.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2018, 09:31:06 pm »
Most bodies in the early sets are compatible , people do come in different heights and widths ,  its the late war German and Brit (BA's first plastic kits ? ) arms that are slightly off - too short and skinny IMO . I throw most of them away  ::) I saw in the news release Warlord was mentioning that you get  bazooka arms   that actually look good . I must admit the old set was a real PIA to put together unless you did a little surgery . I think I have one arm on my figure that's made of 4 different pieces to make it fit properly and look right . Probably cut up half a dozen arms to get one the worked , ah the joys of kit bashing

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2018, 09:48:48 pm »
Today's news letter says that Warlord's forums should be up and running soon .  While I never bothered with the " what's wrong with the game and how it should be changed "  posts , I really liked seeing what people have done conversion wise with the figures as well as the awesome paint jobs

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2018, 08:29:27 am »
Warlord's forums are finally back on line . Can't wait to see what some of the guys have painted / built in the last 6 or 7 ( ? ) months the site was dead . But  I wonder how many won't be back as they found other sites to post on ?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2018, 11:26:31 am »
Warlord have their Flak 88 gun out with their old metal crew figures , I saw one a couple of weeks ago at the Sentry Box in Calgary . Now I see on the Modelling News site , Italeri is releasing their version ( same gun kit , no wheel sets  ) but with a plastic crew sprue

The guys I talked to at the LHS are ready to jump on the first plastic kit with plastic crew they can get . When does yours come out Rubicon ? Its hard for some folks to resist  new shiny toys  ::)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2018, 04:05:15 pm »
The inclusion of metal crew seems like a cop-out.  In any event, I'm definitely waiting for Rubicon's 88.  I guess Warlord wanted the crew to be in their 'house' style.  Are the Italeri crew figures scaled down from another kit?

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2018, 05:20:17 pm »
The guys I talked to at the LHS are ready to jump on the first plastic kit with plastic crew they can get . When does yours come out Rubicon ? Its hard for some folks to resist  new shiny toys  ::)

Its getting too hard for me to resist these shinny new toys.

I guess I will have more than one plastic 88 in my collection. One from Italeri (with plastic crew) and next year one from Rubicon Models.

From looking at the sprue, it looks like the Italeri figures and the Rubicon Models figures will blend in well with each other. That is, they are more anatomically correct than the "Heroics" of the Bolt Action figures.

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2018, 01:08:56 am »
Unfortunately, the Italeri 88mm gun crew are all wearing the mid to late war  Luftwaffe field division uniforms,which will limit their use to just Luftwaffe field divisions. No other branches used a similiar jacket ,except for some late war Falschirmjager units which weren't issued the jump smocks :(

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2018, 07:50:31 am »
I guess these must be up scaled 1/72 figures , as Italeri does make a larger 1/48 scale 88 but it has no crew ( also reboxed by Tamiya with various Tamiya 1/48 Germans , but they're Infantry not Artillery crew . ) I think I could make these guys work as a LW crew on the Atlantic Wall . Thankfully its not my turn to pick up a new release , we take it in turns being the guinea pig ( sucker ) who buys the new 28mm release pretty much sight unseen . If its good , the rest of us take the plunge . I've been lucky so far all my picks have been Rubicon kits  ;D

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2018, 11:06:31 pm »
I do not have one of these yet, but I'm pretty sure its just a matter of time before a give into buying one. I did not buythe Warlord Games boxed kit (with metal crew), but I will end up getting the Italeri boxed kit (plastic crew).

Yes, the crew have the Luftwaffe field division uniforms. That is okay since I have Falschirmjager, but I also know that if I put this out as a non-Luftwaffe unit I will not be ejected from my gaming club. We are strict, but not that strict.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2018, 12:25:48 am »
Are you on about the metal figures in the box? As they’re warlord sculpted ones. From their old kit I think.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2018, 02:24:38 am »
Yes the metal crew are for the old metal 88 set . Plastic is the way to go IMO , you can build them as the instructions say , are go all out kit bashing to your hearts content . The big question , in my mind is what scale / size did Italeri make these figures . I compared 4 different Italeri made  28mm German tank commanders , and they are all different . One matches Rubicon's scale figures , one  smaller than that , one heroic like the BA figures and the one from the Tiger II that dwarfs 1/48 scale figures . I'm going to wait for an unboxing video or  a look in the box if one of my buddys get one

Cat

• Private
    • View Profile
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2018, 12:29:07 am »
In my shopping list file, I have a "Wait for Rubicon!" column.  That list currently includes the Flak 88 and Quad 20, SdKfz.222, M10 and UK Crew.

Unless I need a kit on a deadline for a specific event, I'm happy to wait for the Rubicon version.  But it's rather squirrelly trying to find info on what's moving along the pipeline here, the info is scattered all over different threads and news announcements.  I understand the double-edged sword nature of releasing production info — but once any news has been released, it would be nice if there was a master list we could find the latest news on each product that has been revealed all in one place.