Author Topic: M10/M36 Tank Destroyer - Project CLOSED!  (Read 45931 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: M10/M36 Tank Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 01:09:58 am »
So no early M10 version at all?  That does cut it down to two turrets, which is probably more practical.  The Achilles would simply require a different gun and revised mantlet (as the Achilles conversion included a 'collar' and revised sight, as shown on your drawing).  You can probably fudge the interior stowage differences between the M10 and the Achilles.
Actually we need 3 turrets - M10 / Achilles / M36.  For the Achilles turret, the rear turret armour plate slant angle is different from the normal M10; otherwise the Achilles-only counterweight won't fit on it!

The single baffle muzzle brake and fume extractor were introduced as part of a post-war refurbishment.  This version saw acton with the Republic of Korea in the Korean War.  I rather like the 90mm gun with a muzzle brake - it looks more impressive.
That's why we later added the muzzle brake back to the M36.  Now just need to confirm the look of it with a little bit more research...

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 01:21:36 am »
As I've explained a couple of times, the Achilles turret is externally the same as the late M10.  Same shape, same counterweights.  The differences were the 17 pdr gun, revised internal stowage (the 17 pdr's rounds were larger than the 3 inch gun's), and a slightly modified mantlet. See the photo below of a standard late M10 turret.  The late turret was chosen for the Achilles conversion because it was better balanced and roomier than the early M10 turret.

Also below is a late model M36 with the double baffle muzzle brake.  Note that there is no fume extractor.  By this time, the bolts on the side had disappeared.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:38:25 pm by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 01:32:14 am »
Thanks Pinky!  We probably made you overworked as a freelance researcher, lol...

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 07:04:57 pm »
Also below is a late model M36 with the double baffle muzzle brake.  Note that there is no fume extractor.  As the caption mentions, by this time the bolts on the side had disappeared (oops - I seem to have breached copyright!).

We have just updated our drawing replacing the post-war gun barrel with muzzle brake to a WW2 era version.  Will send the file for 3D prototyping this week, and hopefully some photo of the physical design in about two week's time!

Can't wait!!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 05:41:50 pm »
Here is the revised turret for the M36 Jackson.  Notable changes include a new gun barrel, which is actually longer than the previous version, and a WW2-era muzzle brake; the same double muzzle brake like those found on the M26 Pershing late in the war.

We have also revised our technical drawings to include two versions of the rear engine compartment panel; thus enable you to build the vehicle with either a M10 or M10A1 chassis.

Because of these changes and new updates, we now have problem fitting everything onto 3 sprues.  Will try to resolve this problem after the 3D prototypes are done!  Please feel free to comment!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 11:42:05 pm »
The M36 looks very good.  You just need to revise the sirens - there should just be one beside the left hand headlight.  Same applies to both hulls.

I don't know what you've done with the hull rears - let me know if you want some photos of the exhausts etc.

Do you need those hull interior parts?  Could you drop those by making the turret basket a solid 'tub' shape?  That's what Tamiya did with their M36, and it should be okay in this scale.  And, assuming you're only doing the late M10 turret, you only need two different turrets.

I really think this kit will be worth all the effort.  It's going to be a popular model. 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 11:58:11 pm »
The M36 looks very good.  You just need to revise the sirens - there should just be one beside the left hand headlight.  Same applies to both hulls.
We will leave the sirens "as is" as they are separate parts.  The M10 and M36 had different fixtures, and some are optional...

I don't know what you've done with the hull rears - let me know if you want some photos of the exhausts etc.
We have put in a lot of thoughts to it.  There are some differences, but the rear exhausts had hide most of these.  Decided not to make any changes to save sprue space.  Here is a 3D view of the rear exhaust:

Do you need those hull interior parts?  Could you drop those by making the turret basket a solid 'tub' shape?  That's what Tamiya did with their M36, and it should be okay in this scale.  And, assuming you're only doing the late M10 turret, you only need two different turrets.
We usually will draw all visible parts, then we will decide what to simply after 3D prototyping.  Another KEY factor we have to consider is shrinkage of extra thick parts which might blemished the surface area with shrinkage holes or undulating surfaces.

This is still not final until we have the 3D prototypes...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:10:55 am by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 12:40:13 am »
We will leave the sirens "as is" as they are separate parts.  The M10 and M36 had different fixtures, and some are optional...

No, the headlight and siren arrangement was the same on both vehicles (and why would there be two sirens?). The siren did not have a brush guard.  You're probably looking at a post-war M36.

We have put in a lot of thoughts to it.  There are some differences, but the rear exhausts had hide most of these.  Decided not to make any changes to save sprue space.

It was the exhaust system that was different on both versions.  But I guess few people will care. 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 12:43:17 am »
No, the headlight and siren arrangement was the same on both vehicles (and why would there be two sirens?). The siren did not have a brush guard.  You're probably looking at a post-war M36.

Any pictures?  Need some references... thanks!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 08:19:56 am »
Apart from the photo of the late M36 I posted above?  Ok - here is a photo of a standard M10 (I tried to find one which showed the glacis clearly), and two photos of M36s (couldn't find any clearer ones).  Note the layout of the lights and siren, and that it's the same on both types of vehicle.

Note also that the M10 has the earlier, rounded transmission housing while the M36s have the later, more angular type.  I hope you keep the choice of transmission housing in your kit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:22:03 am by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 08:25:30 am »
Thanks again, Pinky.  Will look into these pics with our staff!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 11:44:25 pm »
3D prototypes of the M10/M36 project is finally done!  Quite satisfied with the initial result.  Going to make some minor changes to enhance the details and assembly... Now the most difficult process - what is going to stay and what is not!  Too many parts right now, some need to be omitted!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 01:15:07 am »
Looking good!  I really don't know how you can cut down the parts - unless you drop the early M10 turret, and just provide the parts for a late M10/Achilles.  You could then include the ammo stowage in the turret rear, which is quite noticeable on the real vehicle.  Just a thought - it'd still be a great kit.

The M36 still has the wrong (post-war) details on the 90mm gun barrel.  It should also have a different gun travel lock - not the crutch on the M10/Achilles.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 01:19:28 am »
The M36 still has the wrong (post-war) details on the 90mm gun barrel.  It should also have a different gun travel lock - not the crutch on the M10/Achilles.

Of course we knew that!  Just that when we made all the necessary changes, the files had already been send for 3D prototyping.  We WILL have the new gun barrel with WW2 muzzle brake AND the M36 gun travel lock on the plastic sprue!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 08:29:03 am »
Cool.  Looks like the M36 is sorted then!

Will we be able to build the late M10 without the 17pdr?  Or is the parts count too high?