Author Topic: Sdkfz 251 A/B and 232  (Read 8460 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Sdkfz 251 A/B and 232
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 08:21:37 am »
Quote from: Ad
Sorry about that, didn`t mean too stir up a hornets nest,

What hornets nest?

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 08:51:51 am »
Tracks - just a discussion on dates and things
Ad - tanks-encyclopedia.com is also wrong.  I have referenced multiple books that point out the Aus C was manufactured starting January 1940.   

EWG: thanks to you I can now quickly identify whether a picture is of an Aus A, B or C.  Most Aus A & B photos appear to be training pictures.  In 1941 both were still fielded with more pictures of the Aus B than A.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 10:08:32 am »
@Jaeger ... If you know what to look for, it doesn't take much to determine which of the four infantry haulers you are looking at.

Are their vision ports on the sides of the fighting compartment?  If yes - Ausf A
Is the engine grill area two armored plates?  If yes - Ausf B
Is the engine grill a single sloped armored plate, and the rear doors bulge out?  If yes - Ausf C
Are the rear doors slanted outward only?  If yes - Ausf D

There are many other things you "can" look at, but no need if you have a good enough photo or drawing that you can go thru the four steps above.  For example:

Can't see the upper fighting compartment, but you can see the side storage box area?  If forward on the fender, it's an A or B. If rearward, it's a C or D.

Can only see the hood area but not the front grill or fighting compartment?  If the side vents are single panels it's an A or B. If there is a bulging mix of armored plates covering where the engine vents are, that's a C. If there is no side engine vent at all, then it is a D.
'

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 09:56:01 pm »
FYI , the Czechs built a post war version of the 251 , called the OT-810 , which many vehicle collectors and re enactors redesign into a WW2 looking 251 . An easy way to tell is the drive sprocket and all metal track

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 08:43:56 am »
There are a few good reference books on the SdKfz 251, but some of the best are the Panzer Tracts series of books. I do not have the SdKfz 251 set, but a friend of mine does (series #15), and they are packed full of details. Oh, and the scale drawings are also very useful as well as some of the unique photos.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 10:49:52 am »
The Panzer Tracts volumes that I do have are outstanding. Super well researched, using original sources. If he (Jentz) can't verify something, he tells you instead of just passing along the accepted understanding which could be wrong.  Nice photos, great drawings, very detailed.

I don't have 15-2 and 15-3 yet (both cover different years of the 251) ... but I ordered both of them and I am waiting for them to arrive. Can't wait for them to get here!