Author Topic: The Great Crusade  (Read 20564 times)

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 11:48:39 pm by 06/24 »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: First Rubicon builds - inspired by The Monuments Men
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 09:10:50 am »
06/24, looking good. I have even notice the front wheels  ;)

One thing I would like to mention is about the spare wheel on the Kubel. Have a look at the added notes in the assembly instruction section linked here:

http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=811.0

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 01:21:25 am »
Thanks, it makes sense, I seem to recall the DAK version of the Tamiya1/35 kit had a taller mounting, so it’s logical if this does duty for both types it should be trimmed back. Should be easy enough to do. The wheels will look better once the hubs are painted, as will the ones on the Jeep, but I need to be in the right frame of mind before doing detail painting!

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 01:26:53 am »
Apart from the tow hook (added by its US captors in my imagination!), I added one other item to the base kit, a representation of the fuel tank behind the passenger side dashboard.

Rubicon Models Kubelwagen and Jeep - work in progress by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

It’s just a length of round sprue cut to fit. The US driver came from the Jeep, with an arm from another of the Jeep figures, and some minor modifications to make him fit. He still needs a head!

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 03:21:29 am »
Thanks to Tracks for the suggestion - now modified

1/56 scale Kubelwagen by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 09:01:19 am »
That does look more the part (pun intended).
With your permission, I would like to include your nice picture to my response in the assembly instructions thread so that it may help others.

Can't wait to see the finished models.

But getting back to the spare wheel. I'm also somewhat surprised that Rubicon Models didn't catch this oversight in the beginning. Especially since they showed us test builds (and painted examples) of these before the actual release of the kit. In the Rubicon Models pictures below, you can clearly see how obvious and awkward looking the spare wheel looks.

However, with the DAK wheels, you can see that the fit is so much better. And as you pointed out, some kit manufacturers account for this by having different parts for attaching either the regular or DAK spare wheel.

Again, a bit surprised that Rubicon Models didn't pick up on this little detail.
That being said, even if the spare wheel isn't adjust for looks, it is still a great little kit for miniature gaming.

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 01:37:35 am »
You’re welcome to reuse my photos, it’s a cracking little kit isn’t it, that we’re even talking about the spare wheel shows how far ahead of the competition Rubicon are.

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 04:06:50 am »
Started a second Jeep, and Deuce and a half truck

More Rubicon 1/56 (28mm) scale models by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

GMC CCKW by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 04:12:05 am »
If anyone has built the CCKW without a winch, what did you use for the front bumper?

Unless I’m even more blind than I think, I cannot find a plain front bumper on the sprues - it’s pictured in one of the insets on the instructions, but all I could find was the deeper version used with the winch. I guess I could trim that down, but it seems a surprising omission given the other options.

Another point to note, for anyone building one, is that the seats in the rear box body were actually the side frames folded down, so if using the seats, you might want to trim the lower four rails from each side moulding. I’m waiting for a second kit to arrive and I’ll do that open, so will demonstrate then.

SheriffSherman

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 02:01:10 pm »
6/24,

What is going on with the tires on the CCKW?  Is it me or does the tread pattern wrap around the walls of the tire?  I just cant wrap my head around it but the tires look really odd to me, it’s probably just some kind of optical illusion.

Can’t wait to see the finished pieces, you got some really nice clean builds going there.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 02:04:36 pm by SheriffSherman »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 08:13:13 pm »
According to the plans diagram , the flat bumper part is used to complete the winch installation , so you've already used it

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 10:30:02 pm »
Messy modifications alert, converting an M3 Halftrack in the protected ambulance version. References for the interior seem hard to come by, so this is no more than an impression. Not much will be visible through the door.

More 1/56 Rubicon modelling by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 10:31:22 pm »
6/24,

What is going on with the tires on the CCKW?  Is it me or does the tread pattern wrap around the walls of the tire?  I just cant wrap my head around it but the tires look really odd to me, it’s probably just some kind of optical illusion.

Can’t wait to see the finished pieces, you got some really nice clean builds going there.

Thanks, the treads only go as far as the side wall, the sidewall looks deceptively like the hub in the photos I think.

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2021, 10:33:28 pm »
According to the plans diagram , the flat bumper part is used to complete the winch installation , so you've already used it

Yes I think I have used the only one available, the inset images show a straight front bumper which isn’t present, and the notched, heavier variant used with the winch. I shall experiment on the next one I build to see if the notched one can be cut down, failing that I’ll fabricate one from plastic channel.

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile