Author Topic: To Some - Size does matter!  (Read 19506 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
To Some - Size does matter!
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:01:08 pm »
After announcement of our initial release, we got a few requests regarding if our kits are comparable in size with their own collection (in 1/56 (28mm) scale of course)!  Instead of replying every each of you, we are posting each vehicle with a ruler beside it for your references!

Hope this will resolve any doubts about our measurement related issues!
Will add more vehicles as they become available!
;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 12:50:31 pm by Rubicon Models »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: To Some - Size does matter!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:05:43 am »
Could you also add width and height as well as length over gun barrel .  A few guys at local hobby shop were disappointed by the size difference in Warlord"s resin and their plastic line tanks  of tanks.  Be nice to know how  yours measure up to Warlord's " sort of " 1/56 scale .

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 12:39:31 pm »
All our kits are based on technical drawings (and sometimes blueprints whenever is possible) from published historical records as a base to build our 3D models.  Hence should be very accurate in terms of scale.  We also use museum and historical photos to further clarify our build.

The key difference between resin kits and plastic kits is accuracy in terms of scale or size... older versions of most resin kits are hand-made and hence scaling error might happen; PLUS resin will shrink hence will get smaller and smaller over time!

Will try to get some measurement out later!
;)

sandsmodels

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 10:31:44 pm »
the m4a3 is perfect with the italeri/warlord m4, both are the same size and excellent models.

MRex21

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 11:08:14 pm »
I just discovered your models.  They are gorgeous!  I realize they are marketed to the historical side of the hobby, but I plan on picking up some for Dust Tactics.  How do they scale with Dust figures, that are listed at '28mm' but tend to be on the larger end of the spectrum?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:54:26 am »
I just discovered your models.  They are gorgeous!  I realize they are marketed to the historical side of the hobby, but I plan on picking up some for Dust Tactics.  How do they scale with Dust figures, that are listed at '28mm' but tend to be on the larger end of the spectrum?
Dust models are bigger (32mm?) even when compared that to other heroic scale WW2 miniature manufacturers.  But we have seen gamers using our tanks with Dust Tactics, some had even converted them too!

;)

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 01:44:51 pm »
Dust tactics figures are 1/48 scale, definitely larger than 28mm.

Vonsloan

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 04:24:20 pm »
I think the only way to get away with using 1/48 and 1/56 on the same table and it look fine is if one country is all one scale and another country uses the other. Then the differences hardly notices and this can be a cheaper way to  add an army sometimes (quite a few cheaper Russian vehicles out there in 1/48th)
I wouldn't recommend buying one Sherman in 1/56 and another in same squad at 1/48th. It does look just wrong ;) (we so pedantic!)

Vonsloan
General Armchairs division...

Patrick R

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 11:43:13 pm »
You can fudge with some models.  I've been using a 1/48th BA64 for ages now and nobody ever noticed it's oversized.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 03:35:27 pm »
The problem you have with heroic 28mm is that it's neither 1:56 or 1:48, so it'll either look a bit big or a bit small.

From memory it's around 1:52 for heroics, but I don't think it really matters.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 02:26:47 pm »
In case anyone is interested, here is a scale comparison of one of the new British personality figures with a 28mm Crooked Dice figure (the ubiquitous William Killian).

Definitely a slighter build, a lot closer to the Perry proportions.

johnfarmer

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 12:55:05 am »
Hi Rubicon Models! 
I find your military models VERY attractive, but the odd scale unfortunately keeps me from buying any, have you considered releasing any (or preferable all) in scale 1/72, I for one would buy at least one of almost all the different models in your line,
(I think this scale will have a lot larger market than the 1/56.)

John Jensen

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 02:14:52 am »
I find your military models VERY attractive, but the odd scale unfortunately keeps me from buying any, have you considered releasing any (or preferable all) in scale 1/72, I for one would buy at least one of almost all the different models in your line,

There are just too many options and brands in the 1/72 market that do more or less the same thing as we do.  This is our third year experimenting with digital sculpting using 1/56 scale figures and templates, and we think we had finally found our holy grail.  Later this year we will preview some all-new figure sculpts to draw feedback and comments before moving into full-swing of releasing them.  Stay tuned.

;)

nheather

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 11:55:55 pm »
Hi Rubicon Models! 

John Jensen

Do you appreciate that these models are targeted at wargaming - in which case 1:56 or 28mm is not an odd scale, particularly for skirmish or platoon size battles.

1:72 equates to 20mm, which is also a common wargaming scale, suited for larger armies, company or bigger.

Thing is there are loads of 20mm options out there.  Not saying that they couldn’t do a good job but they could work their socks off and their range would still be tiny by comparison.  Same with 15mm.

Best sticking with 28mm but my advice would be to avoid duplicating plastic models by warlord/italeri.   The 28mm range across all manufacturers is tiny so there is plenty of market for everyone so pointless directly competing by bringing out the same models.

Cheers,

Nigel