Author Topic: Your next British tank... which one?  (Read 16934 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Your next British tank... which one?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 05:36:47 pm »
Thanks for the input... we will do some research on the Valentine to see which variant(s) can be included in a single kit.

What's your view on which Valentine variant(s) you want us to do?

Right, so where is my copy of the relevant NVG and the Bradford drawings book?

After the weekend, we will announce a new British tank project (NOT RELATED TO THIS POST) for our "New Project of the Month"... stay tuned!  ;)
MkIV light ^___^

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:40:05 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 08:02:12 pm »
All WW2 AVREs were either III or IV , IRC the VII version was post war . But I do think that a VII gun tank and Croc is the way to go if Rubicon want to release a Churchill . Despite its faults , the Warlord kit does build up nicely and covers the III / IV , the NA 75  . And while  gives you the Petard you have to design and build your own AVRE hull mounts .  I wonder if Rubicon would consider designing resin / plastic addons for other companies kits , much like Black Dog or Accurate Armor do in 1/48 & 1/35 scale ?

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 10:44:02 pm »
Quote from: Rubicon Models
Which British tank you would like us to do next... and why?

I was going to say the Matilda II, but Warlord Games has recently released the Matilda II in plastic, so it would be better to do something new not already available in plastic kit form.

How about the M3 Grant? Yes, I know its not a British designed and built tank, but it was used by the British. Better yet it can be a duel kit - M3 Grant/Lee (British/American).

If it has to be a British designed and built tank, why not the Valentine – for those that need them.

Does it have to be a tank? Why not a British armored car – one of the most common types.

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 11:36:01 pm »
Valentine for me too, please  :)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2019, 12:28:02 am »
All WW2 AVREs were either III or IV , IRC the VII version was post war . But I do think that a VII gun tank and Croc is the way to go if Rubicon want to release a Churchill . Despite its faults , the Warlord kit does build up nicely and covers the III / IV , the NA 75  . And while  gives you the Petard you have to design and build your own AVRE hull mounts .  I wonder if Rubicon would consider designing resin / plastic addons for other companies kits , much like Black Dog or Accurate Armor do in 1/48 & 1/35 scale ?
That is what I thought (based on previous reading), the family tree in Wikipedia is a recent arrival.

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2019, 05:37:58 am »
If the Grant is an option, even though it wasn't British made, I'd rather have that over a Valentine

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2019, 06:05:30 am »
The British were offered the Lee in the Lend Lease program , but they wanted something more in keeping with their doctrine ( radio in turret ) , so they had the Grant turret designed . And since it was designed specially for the Brits(, not used by the Yanks) , I would call the Grant a British tank.  IRC the Grant was a cash sale item as it had to be produced as opposed to the Lee which was "in stock " as it were . The whole Lend Lease program story  makes some interesting reading

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2019, 10:57:55 am »
I'll add my support to EWG's suggestions of Valentine and Cruiser A13.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2019, 12:35:01 pm »
Quote from: ripley
The British were offered the Lee in the Lend Lease program , but they wanted something more in keeping with their doctrine ( radio in turret ) , so they had the Grant turret designed . And since it was designed specially for the Brits(, not used by the Yanks) , I would call the Grant a British tank.

M3 Medium tank:
That is a very good point. The M3 Grant was used only by the British while the M3 Lee was used by the Americans, Soviets, French, and a few other countries. But what most gamers do not know is that the M3 Lee was also used (in limited numbers) by British as well. On top of that, the M3 Medium tank (aka Lee/Grant) was used in a wide variety of theaters - North African, Eastern Europe, Pacific, Burma, Western Europe (to just name a few) - making it a desirable model kit to many gamers and modellers alike.

Valentine tank:
The British designed and built a variety of tanks just before and during WW2. Some of these tanks were only made in limited numbers, but a few saw large production runs. The Valentine was one of those tanks that were made in large numbers. But more importantly, it was used in multiple theaters. Also, for those asking for post war tanks will know that it was used in the 1948 Arab-Israeli War and the Cyprus crisis (1963–64).

Why not just go for it:
If Rubicon Models has the time and resources, it would be fantastic idea for them to release both a Valentine kit and an M3 Lee/Grant kit. Bot these kits would find a good market in the gaming community as well as for modellers. And the best part of the idea is that no one else offers the Valentine and M3 Lee/Grant in plastic kit form.

How fantastic would that be!! Rubicon Models releasing both a Valentine and M3 Lee/Grant kit.  :)

RM had asked, "Which British tank you would like us to do next... and why?"
Hopefully the above response helps with the which and why.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:09:44 pm by Tracks »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2019, 01:58:46 pm »
Thanks all for the feedback. We are working on several British vehicles as we speak, some in the planning or drawing stage and one is almost done!

One of the reasons we want a poll here is to make sure we are not too far away from the expectations of forum members.

On a side note, we still have not done anything with the Churchill yet mainly because of priority issue.  It will be on our to-do list until we have the time to start the project.

Thanks again!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 03:13:26 am »
I thought that the M3 medium was already on the design list, with our Gracious Hosts having started with the bogie design.

I am sure the British used an SDKFZ 10 as well ^___^.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 03:19:51 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Cat

• Private
    • View Profile
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2019, 11:59:46 am »
As for Valentine variants, a Bridge Layer with a deployable bridge would be a most excellent addition!

The British tank I would most like however would be one with a combo turret option if possible of a Cromwell/Challenger.  A troop of 4 (3 Cromwell + 1 Challenger) would be perfect for the 1st Polish Armoured Division.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:07:51 pm by Cat »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 03:57:21 pm »
As for Valentine variants, a Bridge Layer with a deployable bridge would be a most excellent addition!

The British tank I would most like however would be one with a combo turret option if possible of a Cromwell/Challenger.  A troop of 4 (3 Cromwell + 1 Challenger) would be perfect for the 1st Polish Armoured Division.
The A30 Challenger has a stretched Cromwell hull (with an extra roadwheel).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruiser_Mk_VIII_Challenger
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:00:25 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Cat

• Private
    • View Profile
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 10:05:37 pm »
The A30 Challenger has a stretched Cromwell hull (with an extra roadwheel).

Ah well then, the Challenger would be my first preference to fill the market gap.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 11:07:11 pm »
How about  Rubicon expand on a tank they already have ? Here's 3 vehicles based on the Crusader hull .

If Rubicon decide to release a 17 Pdr than the Tractor kit  should be a given . If they release a 40mm Bofors than the AA turret could be released as an expansion kit . The ARV parts could be released as a plastic blister pack