Author Topic: sherman tank snorkels?  (Read 4836 times)

AussieBrad

• Cadet
    • View Profile
sherman tank snorkels?
« on: September 26, 2016, 01:50:51 pm »
G'day guys, Im trying to do a USMC M4A3 (Rubicon) with Snorkels and was wondering if anyone may know any companys that do them?

I have seen http://www.warchimera.com/en_US/p/Sherman-Tank-Accessories-set-4/810 ones, but they seem to be out of stock and have not replied to my emails or FB messages.

So yeah :)  :o

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: sherman tank snorkels?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 06:04:24 pm »
I don't know anyone else who does USMC wading trunks in this scale.

They were fabricated in the field as well, so you've got a fair bit of latitude when it comes to scratchbuilding them out of plasticard. 

sandsmodels

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:11:41 pm »
we (s&s models) are working on some along with other conversions

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:36:53 pm »
IRC some USMC tanks are pictured with jerry rigged  45  gallon drums as the deep wadding kit . And ,didn't each engine version of the Sherman have its own design ? They were all different in layout of air intakes , exhausts etc  .  So if you do find a resin version it might not be for the tank version your building . Check out "  The Sherman Tank Site "  might be some info there , lots of cool photos  and Tech manual pictures . That's where I went to find info on my Sherman Dozer build . NOTE according to some on missing lynx ( guys that write the books we buy and research the kits ) some info on this site is questionable ie author's opinion not fact  and some picture captions mislabeled . That being said if you compare with the Sherman Minutia page you should figure out  whats what . I always have 2 or more sources when adding extra detail stuff to my kits . Although sometimes 3 or 4 would have been better  :-[
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:46:14 pm by ripley »

AussieBrad

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 02:29:13 am »
Any time frame roughly  S&S?

Yeah I have always been sketchy in regards to scratch building. In regards to reference I just purchased the following:

SQUADRON/SIGNAL TANK WARFARE ON IWO JIMA
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331803608865?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sherman in the Pacific War : 1943-1945
http://www.bookdepository.com/Sherman-in-the-Pacific-War-Raymond-Giuliani/9782352502838?ref=grid-view

Marine Tank Battles in the Pacific
http://www.bookdepository.com/Marine-Tank-Battles-in-the-Pacific-Oscar-E-Gilbert/9781580970501?ref=grid-view

The internet isn't helping much, and 1 of these books got a great write up for the photos but shocking for the note side.

sandsmodels

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 12:12:53 am »
well as ripley says they were all different fixtures dependant on the engine type, we may just end up doing a generic set with some adaptors for each type.
as we have done in 1/72 scale
not sure how long the major trucking is done just the fittings to make when i get a spare 5 mins!

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:54:36 am »
If you do get around to making them , have the upper trunk part a separate piece . A lot of pictures shortly after D-Day show  Shermans with the lower rear fitting only. I read somewhere  they had  explosive bolts  to get rid of them quickly as the tank couldn't fully rotate the turret with the trunks on . Not too helpful in combat

sandsmodels

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 08:05:31 pm »
riply, good info
aparently the  way most used method for getting the trunks off was to rotate the turret and knock it off

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 08:15:55 pm »
Just an off topic comment , you could also try your hand at the extended sides / deep wadding kit for BA's plastic Uni Carrier . Lots of photos of carriers with the sides attached well after the Landings .

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 10:37:54 pm »
I've not seen any mention of explosive charges to remove the upper section of the wading trunk.  It seems to have mostly been a case of unbolting it.  But it would be very useful to supply it in 2 parts, as many tanks went on for a long time with just the lower section attached.