Author Topic: Various WIP  (Read 71685 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Various WIP
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 07:31:17 am »
Still no work done on my tanks  ::) But my Russian Calvary is coming along quite nicely . They're a Perry Civil War Calvary / BA Russians kit bash . Vey easy to cut them up , the tricky part is finding   arms that don't make riders look spastic

This conversion will work with BA Japanese and German plastics as well , I had a few legless bodies around from various projects to test it on . My next project will be a horse transported anti tank rifle ( and an horse drawn  artillery piece , gonna have to buy more horses ::) )

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 08:53:01 am »
Nothing much done in  1/56 lately except converting and painting more Russian tank crews and troops .( I really hate trying to make unique figures by combining plastic , metal and  resin parts )  Built a few tank kits , but they are the Meng World War Toons cartoon / egg type tanks . Scale is all over the place with these things . The  Tiger I being scale 1/35 wide but only half as long , the Tiger II turret is almost as long as it's  hull , so there's no driver hatches and only a partial engine deck .  And the Sherrman is 3 inches long and 2 inches wide and  looks funny  balancing on one wheel station . Of course I couldn't just build them out of the box . Various tools and tank bits from the parts box replaced kit pieces that irked me  ::) . And I completely replaced the Sherman toy like  track , sprocket , idler and road wheels with 1/35 scale Academy / Dragon parts , they fit perfectly   :) . They also have a  KV II out now ( IMO the AFV one is a much nicer kit ) , with a T-34 and a Panzer III N coming soon . Always nice to have a little fun hobby time for a change

Should be back to 1/56 later this week as I have some kits coming from NWS in Florida  , now that things are getting back to normal after their hurricane ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:55:02 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 03:37:44 pm »
Cute.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2018, 08:42:47 am »
Finally getting back to building my KV kit . Today I added what to me is a must have on KV tanks , the tow cables and the side hooks that holds them on .  The cables ends are 1/48 resin pieces from Gaso.Line out of France . You get 5 pairs of  cable ends ( 5 x 2 ), Tiger , Panther , Pzr IV , T-34 and KV , at least tha'ts what they look like to me , you also get a couple of lengths of braided metal thread for the cables . I ordered 2 sets as you need 4 ends for each vehicle . I made the  side hooks out of some plastic rod and some brass posts with a loop on the end (  boat or railroad parts from years gone by , amazing what you can find in the parts box if you look long enough   ) Simple , just drill holes in end of rod , add brass ( all part sizes just eye balled from pictures , no calipers or tape measures here ) . Same with cutting the thread , just  enough so I can hook the tow eye over the shackle on the nose .

Once I get the crazy glue off my fingers , I'll get to work on the crew and the second KV in my stash while I still remember how I did this  ::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:34:36 pm by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2018, 07:05:02 pm »
Looks like a nice build (the alternative turrets are shown off well).

Post Image is sulking and not allowing me to see the attachment, that might be a problem at my end.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 12:38:29 pm »
Decided to forgo a crew for now  and add a few Germans checking out the KO'd Russian giants . Need to convert a figure to be peering in the open hatch and climbing on the KV II's turret rungs  , but all I have at the moment a built Germans , best order a sprue or 2 soon

Just a 2 digit number on the KV I . Nothing on the KV II . There's a Russian site ( www.kv1ehkranami.narod.ru/kv2.html ) with pictures of about 125 different knocked out or abandoned  KV IIs , the only ones with markings on the turret sides are in German use . And only 5 have the large rear hatch open ,,again in German hands . I have not seen any pictures of KV IIs with propaganda slogans so prevalent in the decal packs , Maybe they had them when they fought the Finns ? None of the ones the  Germans photographed had them
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:42:09 pm by ripley »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 10:10:12 am »
After getting sidetracked for a while ...don't ask

I decided to get to work on my Churchill Mk IV AVRE , first up add front attachment

So after making a left and right ( PIA ) , Its on to the rear mounts , much easier as they are the same . Will have to copy these in resin before I glue them on

Next its work on the bow gunners redesigned hatch  ( picture from Panzerserra website )

With any luck I'll finish this on the weekend , and on Monday    the 20mm turret and Stummel parts will arrive for my 250s  :D

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 04:52:30 pm »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:34:41 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2018, 11:59:50 pm »
Ah , your into that pirate version of Frostgrave . How are the new Pirate / native and snake men (?) figures ? I was thinking getting some of the figure sprues for kit bashing purposes ., you know Dwarf bodies with WW2 German helmets and gas masks , armed with MP 40s , kind of thing ..got to find a use for all those extra bits I got kicking around . I find I have so many ideas that when a project bogs down , ie: no RTV rubber to cast bits . I have to build something else to keep from effing stuff up .  ::) On my Churchill I managed to save a whole upper track run as its not needed because of the fenders . So I plan to cast it in 3 - 5 link pieces to add to Fireflys and Shermans . But having no RTV . means I have to wait , but my M4s are calling to me , " add extra armor " , I can't tune them out . I sometimes wish I could just build stuff out of the box and be happy with the result , unfortuntely I haven't build out of the box in about 25 years and there's no going back , kit bashes and conversions are too much fun

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2018, 03:12:56 am »
I have not got any yet (the Snake men are renders only so far). The Frostgrave sprues often make a nice distraction. I bought a dwarf sprue at Salute last year. There are a couple of people on Lead Adventures combining the  cultists and various arms (Imperial Guard and Wargames Factory).

The KV has been my kit of the day, the majority is together, the KV2 turret is still in bits while the replacement rungs set (and I sand off the fingerprints where the glue leaked through)

Good plan on the track links, I have to get some more from the German stowage set for my Hercules project.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2018, 06:26:14 am »
I've got one of those wire bending thingys you were using on order , so I guess I have a lot of handles to remove and replace in my future

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 12:38:00 pm »
Just some stowage and weathering and I'll call this AVRE finished . I managed to get a second Petard mortar ( thanks Bruce ) so I can use either turret on the modified hull . Not a bad kit , pity they don't give doubles of some of the turret bits , map case , antennas ,  turret stowage box  It seems a shame to have 2 turret choices and about 7 guns to pick from and you only can build ONE !   ::). You have to adjust the internals on the Mk III turret as the Petard insn't meant to mount in that plastic  turret, but it was mounted in the real Mk III . Crew are a couple of Company B ( ? ) metal figures and a Tamiya 1/48 figure . Stowage is Tamiya ( large tarp ) Rubicon ( Panther track ) and various pieces of BA kit which I cast in resin . The second stowage box is also a resin piece , I've made a few for some of the local gamers .

The mortar bomb was painted a off white / grey , and pretty much filled up the mortr tube , so I added them . I just noticed I forgot to remove some mold lines on the sides of the barrel  :-[

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 04:50:00 pm »
That is very good.

The AVRE fittings are impressive. Must go back and see how you did it (I have another Churchill still in its box).

Skimping on the turret bits is a bit annoying (at least you have two out of three complete turrets in the Crusader - I think the missing bin is in the Allied Stowage set).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 09:38:14 pm »
The Crusader was a great kit , but  I never really noticed if you can build 2 regular type turrets , I wanted the AA version and passed the rest of the parts on to Bruce who was upgrading some Warlord resin Crusaders . I wonder if the fuel can  would fit on the rear of the Churchill ? ( T-34 ones are too short ) I'm going cast the rear side mount as I made a pattern , so if you want a couple and a stowage box , let me know . The front mounts were a pain , having to make a left and right ,lots of trial and error trying to get the angles correct , must of cut up a 12 x 12 inch sheet of plastic to make them . Probably should have made some to cast but got impatient after all that

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2018, 12:36:58 am »
Ok , I'm going to take one for the team, Just ordered a BA Puma , going to convert it to a 234/3 using the parts in the Rubicon 250/9 Stummel Expansion kit . That supplies the gun goodies , and  I found some  steering wheels and seats from  parts box  , hopefully I get the kit before the excitement of the idea / build cools off and I go work on some Dwarfs . So watch this space

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:39:17 am by ripley »