Author Topic: UVS models: Salute 2021 11/12/2020  (Read 199634 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: UVS models
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2016, 05:47:15 pm »
If you're leaving the sandshields off, then you'd probably want to remove the sections under the rear overhang (as well as the locating tabs under the rear fenders).  The lower section of the front fenders was also normally removed, leaving a rounded shape.

I agree it probably should be US Olive Drab, but I'd paint it the same way as your other British tanks (one imagines the Guards probably repainted their tanks).  British Olive Drab was apparently more of a green colour than US Olive Drab. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:52:17 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2016, 11:51:05 pm »
I see your point, it looks like Honey will be wearing her long skirt when she goes out to party.

I think making the required changes on the already assembled model makes messing it up too likely.

Something for the next one, when I have some more reference books.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2016, 09:49:49 am »
Yes, it's always painful doing any major work on a finished model.  I recently realised that one of the side armour pieces on my almost-completed Panzer IV was crooked; fixing that removed a lot of paint.  Anyway, you could keep the front half of her skirt, and just remove the back half.  Less work, although you'd need to fill the angled cutaway under the hull sides.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:07:38 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2016, 04:39:52 pm »
The mislabeled picture of an M5 seems to show the rear part of the sand shield still in place.

However, I have fitted the full length shield on the right side and subject to being able to put the upper and lower hulls back together (I had problems with the Crusader and the first BA Panther after putting on the skirts - the second is being undercoated black and then fitting the skirt before spray painting it DunkelGelb) will do the same on the left. There will be some filling required, but better now than when painted ^___^.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2016, 04:18:29 pm »
A bit quiet on the update front. Pictures to follow.

Fitted sand shields (for a later build there is a nice picture in the Fortin book of what they look like after a bit of use).

Undercoated chassis.

Fitted armatures for packs, three on turret, one on front mudguard (the owner is also on latrine duty). Added two Warlord British helmets (with mesh covers) hanging from what I take to be turret lifting rings.

Drilled and glued plastic rod for soft stowage positions and one to position the handle of a bucket off of the rear vertical plate, it will be hidden under a tarp. One is positioned on the right rest corner and so will cover the missing track holder.

I am still working round how to model the spare track. That is not in the first stowage set.

The Allied stowage set contains the missing AA MMG mount, but that can be added later.

The plan is to glue the upper and lower hull together and then fit the soft stowage. The bucket will be the last part I fit.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2016, 03:36:53 pm »
This is a detail from the first Panther from the Warlord "Armoured Fury" box set, mainly because I have used the spare track links from the Rubicon German Stowage set and the vehicle number from the Rubicon Tiger decals.

I do need to go back and tidy up the tools, I had not noticed the missing paint on the lower part of the tools on the hull.

Unlike Steve, I did not feel brave enough to try and get the numbers over the track links. I do wonder if I should have fitted the mounting hooks for the missing track links.

More pictures here: http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/warlord-games-panther-a.html

I have one and a half of the links left, so with some careful use of soft stowage I should have enough to add to the Rubicon Panther G.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:43:26 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2016, 08:23:59 pm »
Looks really good . I built my BA Panther  before Rubicon released their Stowage set , so I used the upper track run for add on armor . Since the wheels are hidden by the side skirts , no one notices . Also did the same with the  BA Panzer IV .  :D

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2016, 12:12:37 pm »
Agreed - nice job.  I like Warlord's Panther; I think they depicted the Zimmerit well.  I see from your blog that you also replaced the spare track stowage with Rubicon tracks - good attention to detail!

I've found Vallejo a bit uncooperative for brush painting.  Did you have any issues?  It would be nice not to have to mix all the colours.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2016, 02:42:42 pm »
Thanks.

@Ripley: good idea. Many years ago I built a Cromwell T55 that I fitted with Skirts to look like an illustration from Twilight 2000. I cut one of the road wheels in half, used the two halves on the chassis leaving one as a spare on the turret. I must find it and the M1A2 Giraffe some time.

@Pinky: Vallejo are my preferred paints. I have had no problem brush painting over Citadel Chaos Black spray but the Army Painter and PSC sprays do have a slightly shiny surface that requires two coats, like the Panther above.

I like being able to just pick up a bottle rather than trying to mix a consistent colour. I just wish PSC had matched their sprays to the Vallejo colours (I am still looking for a match to their Soviet tank colour).

On the other side of the hull I doubled up the supplied spare track (after some filling to get the two pieces to mesh) as a lot of photographs show two rows of track (I think the Rubicon kit has two out of the box). On the picture above I cut a Rubicon four in line piece in half and hung it on a rack made from Micro Strip. I probably should have used the long piece as the four link pieces are used on the turrets (hence I now have one and a half pieces for my Rubicon Panther G).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:05:33 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2016, 08:53:39 pm »
If done carefully , the Rubicon spare  track can be cut into single links . I use a Dollar Store nail file to clean out between the joints of the track , tedious work  but the results look good . Do wish Rubicon had made a few  2 piece links like we advised instead of that 9 link piece . Of course you could use it on a Tiger I , not the right style of  track of course , but not many folks will notice  ::) .After spending what seems like days searching the web , I found a use for it .  Long runs of Panther track was used on Churchills as extra armor on the turret   , so I'll use it on the   BA plastic Churchill , when ever they get around to releasing it .

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2016, 10:11:27 pm »
After spending what seems like days searching the web , I found a use for it .  Long runs of Panther track was used on Churchills as extra armor on the turret   , so I'll use it on the   BA plastic Churchill , when ever they get around to releasing it .

And on Shermans - both British and American.  Usually wrapped around the turret sides.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:26:49 am by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2016, 04:24:40 am »
After spending what seems like days searching the web , I found a use for it .  Long runs of Panther track was used on Churchills as extra armor on the turret   , so I'll use it on the   BA plastic Churchill , when ever they get around to releasing it .

And on Sherman - both British and American.  Usually wrapped around the turret sides.

One of my Shermans has a piece of Panzer IV track on the glacis (from the BA kit). I suspect the Sherman Vs will be be benefiting from the Rubicon Panther and Tiger track while I wait for the Allied stowage set.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2016, 06:55:01 am »
Really hope someone makes an extra full sets of Sherman track . I want to model a Canadian Firefly with Sherman track links completely covering the glacis plate and hull sides . Or else I'll have to cast them in resin ::)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2016, 11:29:13 am »
I know Canadian Firefly you are mean.  I bet that tank had high fuel consumption!  Sounds as though you'll be buying a lot of Allied stowage sets...

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2016, 09:57:45 pm »
I have this image in my head of a Sherman crew waking up one morning and finding their tank up on bricks and all the track missing.

A number of units had a track fetish.

At least with the Allied stowage we will have the wheels to go on the front. Full front track sets might be an opportunity for S and S to do in resin (other manufacturers are available).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:02:51 pm by ultravanillasmurf »