Author Topic: A Gentleman's War  (Read 1839 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
A Gentleman's War
« on: September 05, 2022, 09:36:00 am »
The new BA starter set called "A Gentleman's War" is going to have two plastic armored cars. One will be the SdKfz 222 and the other a Humber II/IV. When I heard these were going to be plastic, my first thought was, "Fantastic, they made a smart deal with Rubicon models." But now after I read this article in the latest Wargames Illustrated, it mentions that the armored cars will be from Italeri? News to me, and I can't imagine a better SdKfz 222 model kit better than what Rubicon Models already has.

Has anyone picked up A Gentleman's War yet? What do you think?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: A Gentleman's War
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 10:35:40 pm »
Its like a GW starter box with 2 factions already available ( Afrika Korp / 7th Army ) , a rule book , dice , tokens and a couple of new kits only available in this box ( to be released singlely at a later date ) . Priced a lot better than the latest GW toys  ;D . Not interested in the box as my interests are Eastern Front and Canadians in Normandy , but I will get the Humber when its released . Im still waiting on the Staghound , been coming for about a year . hopefully Rubicon can get it out before Italeri has one .

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: A Gentleman's War
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 11:49:10 am »
Just a quick follow up:
A member in my gaming group picked up the new starter set called "A Gentleman's War" and brought it with him one day for a show and tell. So I finally got a chance to get a better look at what is inside and this includes the two armored cars. Looks like the SdKfz 222 is made by Italeri and the Humber is made by SK. Both look nice and are more than good enough for tabletop miniature gaming.

I had offered to assemble (not paint) his armored cars, and even though he was very tempted to take my offer, he too likes building things and wanted to do it himself. So I cannot do a side by side build comparison of the Rubicon Models and Italeri SdKfz 222 model kit.

I did take a good look at it, and from what I saw of the Italeri kit, both the Rubicon Models and the Italeri kits look nice and are vastly superior to the resin and metal kits available. This including the Blitzkrieg Miniatures model. The tabletop gamer could choose either the Rubicon Models or the Italeri kit and be rewarded with a very good model. That being said, I will stick to Rubicon Models. I'm just surprised Warlord didn't ask RM if they could use theirs. No team work in this industry. That is for sure.

As for the Humber armored car, well, it is the very first plastic model of the Humber Mk.II/IV. This one looks like it comes from SK - the look and style of the kit itself gives it away. I was able to give it a good look over and it looks like a very good plastic model kit and a great addition to our gaming hobby. This plastic model should be far superior to any resin/metal kit now available. Sadly though, we cannot just buy this model by itself. At least not yet.

That being said, I did notice something strange. It shows that the model kit can be assembled as a Mk.II or Mk.IV. However, the location of the spare tire (in the instructions) is the same. On the Mk.IV, the spare tire should be on the side and not on the front, but maybe some Mk.IVs had it on the front? Overall, this should not be a problem. This will only give rivet counters nightmares. Also, with a little extra skill and work, the kit could easily be modified so that the spare tire could be moved from the front to the side. But like I said, I don't see this as a big issue, and most tabletop gamers will probably just assemble the kit as a Mk.IV without realizing this. The important thing to take away here is that we now have one very good plastic model of the Humber Mk.II or Mk.IV armored car!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 11:51:59 am by Tracks »