Author Topic: Painting German vehicles  (Read 3973 times)

Stuart

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Painting German vehicles
« on: June 11, 2021, 04:05:07 am »
My plan is, after clearing my current work off the Bench is to purchase a couple of Hanomag 251's, I have one, a 251C already, but after seeing that Deuce and a Half, inspired by the Monument Men on another thread, extremely well done I might add, I plan to build one of the Hanomags with a full canvas top. What I do not have a clue about is the color of that canvas top. Does anyone here know? I like to use Vallejo paints, but if there is some other brand that makes an match for the color, I am open to that.

Thanks in advance

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Painting German vehicles
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 04:56:06 am »
Thanks for the kind words about the CCKW. I’m no expert but I think German canvas was in theory coloured the same as the vehicles, i.e. grey early war, dunkelgelb later etc. However, given the precarious raw material situation, I suspect any dying was of limited strength and would have faded quickly. In the same way the US vehicles are notionally OD overall, but the canvas generally appears a paler colour.

I found this link which seems fairly comprehensive:

https://panzerworld.com/german-armor-camouflage

Stuart

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 05:43:05 am »
Thanks, that, and the link were very helpful.

Hope to see more of your work. I spent many an hour in a later model of your Deuce and a Half, and from what I remember, your's is spot on.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 12:33:58 pm »
Even though I spent a lot of time on this topic, I'm no expert, but I will share with you what little I know.

Canvas covers for trucks and stuff, as well as for horse drawn wagons, where in dark gray and dark brown. Of course, there are exceptions to this, and canvas covers of light brown or tan is also possible, as well as greenish tan/gray (Vallejo: German camouflage beige). Also it depends on the year and theater of operations. Overall, I (mostly) tend to paint the canvas covers on my German vehicles with colors that look good (usually showing some contrast) - this my or may not always be 100% accurate, but who's to say. Besides, it all depends. And yes, there were some regulations, but there are many examples of variations and exceptions to the rule.

Short answer is just paint the canvas tops to your liking. Within limits of course. Also, I have seen wartime photos of camouflaged canvas tops, but more often canvas tops seem to be of one color than camouflaged. Also note that some color profiles would lead you to believe that canvas tops can be black, but this is just dark gray.

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 02:37:32 pm »
I think Tracks has covered the subject excellently, the only thing I’ve got to add is that in the Vallejo Panzer Aces range, there’s a colour called ‘Canvas’. It’s a pale-ish green/beige colour that’s neutral enough to be useful. :)

Stuart

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 11:55:17 pm »
I am grateful for everyone's input.

I believe trading ideas and techniques with other modelers is the most gratifying part of our hobby. I was a ship modeler until the Pandemic started to keep many of us near home, and the brick and mortar hobby shops were closed. That's when I discovered Rubicon models available on line, and ordered one. Have not done a ship in a year and a half and don't plan to re-start. In short, I got hooked. While my background in in the Army (26 years) I am quickly finding out I don't know as much as I thought I did about tanks and armored vehicles, and it's really fun learning. 

Stuart

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Painting armored vehicles
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 12:45:51 am »
Not a German vehicle, so I changed the title of this thread to be more universal for all armored vehicles.

Last night I completed construction and painting of my Rubicon A34 Comet, and found it to be a splendid model. I suppose it is due to the Pandemic, at least that is what I have been told, but the supply of Vallejo paint has been problematic for the last year or so. With the Comet I brush painted the entire vehicle, and was really pleased with the outcome. I normally spray on the base color and augment it with brush work, especially dry brushing.

I did the Comet as the post war version, but now comes decal time. The 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars has always been a favorite unit of mine, in that they were, throughout the war, the reconnaissance regiment of the 7th Armoured Division. I have all the appropriate decals but was wondering if the 8th Hussars were reequipped with Comets just after the war as many British units were. I know they had Cromwell's in 1945. If anyone knows I would be grateful for that information.  If the answer is no, I do have a Plan B
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 12:52:27 am by Stuart »

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 03:30:50 am »
I think you’re in luck, the regiment war diaries are online and show them receiving Comets -

http://www.desertrats.org.uk/WarDiaries/8th_Hussars/8thHussars1945.htm

Stuart

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 06:17:53 am »
Well that is good news, thanks. I guess I will save Plan B for another day.