Author Topic: BMW R75 with Sidecar - Bike crew update 170215  (Read 48844 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: BMW R75 with Sidecar - 3D Sculpts 160519
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 01:09:55 am »
On the subject of wheel size, would it be possible to do what the model railway suppliers do, and supply two sizes of wheel, a 1/56 set and a "28mm" set?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 01:40:06 am »
On the subject of wheel size, would it be possible to do what the model railway suppliers do, and supply two sizes of wheel, a 1/56 set and a "28mm" set?

The bike itself is already very tiny and by separating the wheels from the vehicle it will make
modeling a nightmare; and a design challenge as well... almost everything are interconnected
if you look at the images above closely.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2016, 08:24:36 am »
I think this looks pretty good . Not 100 % but the best that can do in this scale as a war game piece / model without going for a 100 piece kit  ::). Once on the table with a ground covered base this should look ace . And yes the troops do look a little large , but most tank crews I have either bought or converted are that way as well . In fact the figures I do have that are accurate scale look too small  ::). I guess its a compromise , but I'm ok with it .    I would recommend removing the saddle drum magazine from the mg 34 , by mid war they were being replaced by the 50 round drum or just a ammo belt . Or maybe include both versions of the mg 34 , so the bike can be used as early or mid war .

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 09:53:53 am »
And yes the troops do look a little large , but most tank crews I have either bought or converted are that way as well . In fact the figures I do have that are accurate scale look too small  ::). I guess its a compromise , but I'm ok with it.

We do started with "true" 1/56 scale sculpts, and turned out to be at least 15% smaller than
anything on the market.  We have to redo the sculpt and upscale it to match what are currently
available (at least close to the Perrys).  It is a hard choice, but it is something we need to do to
make our product "compatible".

I would recommend removing the saddle drum magazine from the mg 34 , by mid war they were being replaced by the 50 round drum or just a ammo belt . Or maybe include both versions of the mg 34 , so the bike can be used as early or mid war .

No worry, we have both MGs and drums included in the kit!  ;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 11:16:46 am »
I'm fine with the figures being overscale - that's what we expect from 28mm.  However, cramming 3 oversize figures onto a 'true scale' bike tends to emphasize the scale disparity, which is why I questioned it.  And motorcycle troops were common in the early war period, which is why I questioned whether it's worth including figures in mid-war uniforms.

I'm still not convinced on the wheel size.  Ignoring the figures, the wheels look small compared to the rest of the bike, when you look at photos of the real thing.  The front mudguard, for instance, seems lower than it does in photos.  I realise that photos can be misleading, but are Rubicon's designers sure this is right? 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 11:20:57 am »
I'm still not convinced on the wheel size.  Ignoring the figures, the wheels look small compared to the rest of the bike, when you look at photos of the real thing.  The front mudguard, for instance, seems lower than it does in photos.  I realise that photos can be misleading, but are Rubicon's designers sure this is right?

We have double checked with other scaled models in 1/48 and 1/35... pretty much sure we are correct!

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 11:55:48 am »
Different types of tires

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2016, 01:19:47 pm »
Thank you for everyone's interest on the BMW wheel & tyre sizes.  May be we can
elaborate a little bit more on this subject.

Current Plastic Kits on the Market

Tamiya - 1/48 - tyre size is 12.7mm - 610mm actual size

MB Models - 1/35 - tyre size is 16.9mm - 592mm actual size

Ours @1/56 - 11.25mm - 635mm actual size   <- actually already larger than any of the above!

From non-official website regarding the BMW R75, the spec as follow:

tyre size is 4.5 X 16 (standard inch system)
link: http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R75_sidecar_unit.htm

More on tyre size info can be found here:
link: https://www.denniskirk.com/learn/tire-sizes-explained

Hope this will clarify on how we obtained our measurements.
;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:19:27 pm by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2016, 02:29:49 pm »
I think everyone is very enthusiastic about this kit, and wants Rubicon to avoid the issue that has plagued several other small scale versions of this bike - not just the Perry's; most 1/72 scale versions look a bit like a child's the toy bike as well.  There's no doubt that the overscale figures make the wheels look smaller than they are.  But despite all the measuring etc that's been done, they seem to sit too low compared to the real bike.   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:25:50 am by Pinky »

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2016, 08:18:17 pm »
Looking good so far...but it would probably  be better if the figures were decreased in size by 10%....and maybe can we see a digital  drawing of the bike from a higher level looking slightly down on it...it may just be the angle of view but tires look to small and thin still compared to the real bikes ?

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2016, 11:42:16 pm »
One more suggestion - when viewed from a distance, spoked wheels don't look solid.  The spoked area will be empty space.  The brake disc is the most noticeable feature.  Painting this black and highlighting the spoked detail doesn't achieve the same effect - the wheels still look solid.  Have you considered leaving the spoked area open? 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2016, 11:57:04 pm »
One more suggestion - when viewed from a distance, spoked wheels don't look solid.  The spoked area will be empty space.  The brake disc is the most noticeable feature.  Painting this black and highlighting the spoked detail doesn't achieve the same effect - the wheels still look solid.  Have you considered leaving the spoked area open?

Unless with etched brass, it would be impossible.  This little beast is so small to start with,
is not worth the effort to complicated the build process.  We have the 3D prototype which
we will post here after getting the new releases out of the warehouse!  By then, you will
understand the reason...

;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2016, 03:42:33 am »
I have the Warlord/Factory bike gang from the Project Z set, the bikes have spoked wheels.

I have not assembled them. There should be some sprue photographs online.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2016, 10:12:31 am »
Unless with etched brass, it would be impossible.  This little beast is so small to start with,
is not worth the effort to complicated the build process.  We have the 3D prototype which
we will post here after getting the new releases out of the warehouse!  By then, you will
understand the reason...

Matchbox's 1/72 scale BMW and side car had open wheels.  I mean with no spokes, in case that was unclear.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:17:25 am by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: BMW R75 with Sidecar - 3D Prototype 160530
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 07:29:03 pm »
Just one more post before our UK trip for UK Games Expo...
3D prototype for the BMW R75!

Enjoy!
;)