Author Topic: Help with colour please!  (Read 2166 times)

CanadianAR

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Help with colour please!
« on: May 02, 2019, 03:15:33 pm »
This is a French AT gun that I own, made in 1939. It would have been captured by the Germans in 1940. It was originally painted French Ordnance Tan, it is visible where paint has chipped off. And some tough to get to spots. The trailing arms and all gun equipment is dark dark dark grey/black. Could even be original. But the mantel and sheids, and wheels have a dark grey/blue over top of the tan  Was not a quality paint job really, just looks to be brushed on overtop. Is this early german Blue/grey? Or something else? The paint is flatter then my pics suggest. I was oiling the gun and all metal, and stupidly took pics after. I’d considered repairing it a German tan, or even adding a dark grey camo over this colour as camo patterns can be found in lots of period photos.... it would not dontbis if the paint stands any chance. In the dark it looks more
Grey, in sun looks more blue....

So what is it? Are there any better places to ask? THANK YOU.

CanadianAR

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Help with colour please!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 03:16:59 pm »
I saw the other thread on grey/blue but I’m not expert on this. I’d also found a few period photos that look the same.....

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Help with colour please!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 08:36:11 pm »
I would call that Panzer Grey based on color plates in the books I have and the model paints we have available today  , but they could be wrong . Might I suggest you go to a site ( Missing-Lynx ) where the guys who write the books , research  WW2 vehicles in museums and archives and advise the model companies hang out . Guys like Hilary L. Doyle , Steven Zaloga ,  David Doyle ( authors you might have heard of ) and many others . Right now there a couple of threads on German paint schemes / timelines being discussed  by guys who have original WW2 German paint chip cards . These guys really know their stuff , if you post on there I'm sure you will get the answers your looking for
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 08:53:59 pm by ripley »