Author Topic: The Panzer III Digital Library - Mid-War Panzer 200521  (Read 79529 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
The Panzer III Digital Library - Mid-War Panzer 200521
« on: May 25, 2017, 01:26:14 am »
We have not started the Panzer III Digital Library yet, just some preliminary info, and may be a few line drawings, for data collections and comments only!

;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:07:58 am by Rubicon Models »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The Panzer III Digital Library - Not Started Yet !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 01:26:51 am »
Panzerkampfwagen III Medium Tanks

Panzer III Ausf A – 1936 - 10 units - Prototype; only 8 armed and saw service in Poland. Armed with 3.7cm KwK 36 L/46.5 main gun, 250 PS HL 108 engine.

Panzer III Ausf B – 1937 - 10 units - Prototype; some saw service in Poland.

Panzer III Ausf C – 1937/38 - 15 units - Prototype; some saw service in Poland.

Panzer III Ausf D – 1938/40 - 25 + 5 units - Prototype; some saw service in Poland and Norway. Armour upgraded to 30mm front, side and back.

Panzer III Ausf E – 1939/40 - 96 units - Suspension re-designed, switching from leaf-springs to torsion-bars, now using 6 larger road wheels per side. 300 PS HL 120 engine.

Panzer III Ausf F – 1940 - 450 units - Improved Ausf E, first mass-production version, late production armed with 5cm KwK 38 L/42 main gun.

Panzer III Ausf G – 1940/41 - 594 units - More armour on gun mantlet. Armed with 3.7cm KwK 36 L/46.5 (later 5cm KwK 38 L/42) gun.

Panzer III Ausf H – 1940/41 - 286 units - 5cm KwK 38 L/42 as standard gun. Bolt-on armour added to front and rear hull (30mm base + 30mm plates).

Panzer III Ausf I – Variant mentioned in Allied intelligence reports but not an actual existing vehicle. Possible confusion with Ausf J.

Panzer III Ausf J – 1941/42 - 1,521 units - Hull and turret front armour increased to solid 50mm plate. Some were produced with 5cm KwK 39 L/60 gun and later re-designated Ausf L.

Panzer III Ausf K – 1942/43 - 50 units - Panzerbefehlswagen command tank variant with a modified turret. Carried actual main armament rather than a dummy gun as found on other Panzer III command versions.

Panzer III Ausf L – 1941/42 - 1,470 units - Re-designated Aus. J equipped with long 5 cm gun, 20 mm stand-off armour plates on hull and turret front.

Panzer III Ausf M – 1942/43 - 517 units - Minor modifications of the Ausf L such as deep-wading exhaust and Schürzen side-armour panels.

Panzer III Ausf N – 1942/43 - 614 - Infantry support tank, armed with a short-barrelled 7.5cm KwK 37 L/24 gun.

Command Tanks

Ausf D - 1938/39 - 30 units
Ausf E - 1938/40 - 45 units
Ausf H - 1940/41 - 175 units
Ausf J - 1941/42 - 81 units
Ausf K - 1942/43 - 50 units
Flamm - 1943 - 100 units

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:49:56 am by Rubicon Models »

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 03:52:48 am »
I hope that you make an earlier version of the Panzer III than the Ausf.L. Besides DML, UM,and a few 1/72 wargaming kits, the earlier versions have been overlooked in plastic.
I feel that you need a plastic  opponent for your Crusader I and II's, and your upcoming T-26's!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 03:54:23 am by H0ffmn »

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 07:49:31 am »
It won't be any surprise that I'd like to see a Panzer III that served in Poland. The Ausf E is the obvious contender although if you wanted to game the Norwegian campaign you'd probably like an Ausf D. It would certainly create confusion for those who identify Panzer III's by the number of road wheels!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:41:46 am »

- After the basic screening of the Panzer III variants, we probably will skip all the prototypes and start the project with Ausf E/F.
- Will definitely look into doing all the main wartime variants, including the Ausf G / H / J.
- Then working on the late Panzer IIIs... Ausf K / L / M / N.
- Will do the Flammpanzer III Ausf M.
- Might do a command tank if sprue space permitted.
- Might include 2 half body figures.
- Might include schurzen... if so, will definitely be a 3 or 4 sprue kit.

Not going to discuss details yet, need more time to study each variant in depth. Hopefully will have all good features of the old Panzer III, plus enhanced options like open hatches and track details; and more guns and mantlet options!

Comments?
;)

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 03:25:13 am »
That sounds great!!
 When you sculpt the crew figures, could you make at least one of them wearing the service shirt, and not the panzer wrap tunic?? That figure could be used for all fronts equally (well,maybe not during the winter)
        Thanks!

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 08:31:06 am »
I am delighted to see the inclusion of a veteran of the Polish campaign, Ausf E. Of course it is also likely to be found on the battlefield years later.

The possibility of a command vehicle is good as well.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 09:40:06 pm »
I'll have one of each please  :D   You really don't need 2 half figures for the III as you only have a commander to worry about . Unless the figures are going to be modeled in different uniforms ( for Russia - Africa ) just a couple of alternate heads will do . Of course if you want to have open turret side doors and include seated figures to fit there ...... it would save me kit bashing some like this Pzr IV crew

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:44:11 pm by ripley »

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 12:35:06 am »
- After the basic screening of the Panzer III variants, we probably will skip all the prototypes and start the project with Ausf E/F.

Since the Pz III is being talked about in other threads, thought I would revisit this old chestnut and ask ... any news regarding hte PZ III E/F?  Has the digital library started yet?  Anything you can share?

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 12:48:24 am »
They said in the panzer IV thread that it’ll start properly once the panzer IV is completed.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The Panzer III Digital Library - Kickstarting... 180720
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 05:20:40 pm »
We know that had been a lot of talking about our new Panzer III Digital Project.  Due to all the QC of new moulds, our staff just do not have the time or energy to work on the Panzer III drawings... until now.  This is what we have done so far... basic structure of the Panzer III based on the Ausf L.  We do have to start somewhere and the Ausf L is basically the best starting point as this variant can be "updated" both forward and backward for other variants.

This is a total redesign and redraw of the complete tank, not a modification of the old one!

Enjoy!
;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:22:30 pm by Rubicon Models »

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
A Pz III E/F kit, with both 37mm and 50mm weapon options, suits me just fine. Covers Poland and France right there, and later campaigns as well. Always happy to hear that a plastic kit is coming for early war!

I can see why you would not do a Pz III B/C/D. Too few built, and the 8-wheeled suspension would require a new hull.  Would I buy one? Yes. But I don't know how many potential customers you would have for that early series.

Anyway, happy to hear this project has come off "hold" and is now getting some attention!

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
I agree, Ausf 'E' is early enough. Although a Panzer III with eight road wheels does have a certain novelty/amusement value.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind an early Panzer III kit , maybe I could kit bash one of these

IMO one of the coolest looking Stugs

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
Interesting "Paper Panzer" Ripley. They only made 5 of those as a first prototype "proof of concept" for the Stug III. They started out with wooden mock-up guns, later replaced with the real thing. But the armor was soft steel. They were considered unfit for combat, and only ever used for training purposes.

Hulls were built in late 1936, where they were then sent to Krupp for mounting of actual guns in early 1937. By the fall of 1937 they were used in trials.  The original version of the prototype had no roof, they were open topped. During trials, they decided this was not going to work for their intended role, and a thin roof was added in 1939.

Ultimately, the prototypes were successful, and that led to the first production variant, the Stug III A (based on the 6-wheeled Pz III), produced between January and May 1940. A total of 36 of this variant were made, before they moved on to the Stug III B.

I would definately pick up a Pz III D if one ever becomes available. They served in Poland and Norway. Don't think I would try and Model the prototype Stug though. That looks like a LOT of work!