Author Topic: Happy Father's Day 2020! 200621  (Read 5748 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Happy Father's Day 2020! 200621
« on: June 21, 2020, 12:40:25 pm »
For all dads into modelling and tabletop gaming! Have a fun day!

These are not 3D renders but actual plastic figures in 1/56 scale.
The degree of details and human proportion is what we are aiming for...
Look closely at the belt and trousers on our ANZAC tank commander!

Enjoy!
;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 12:42:00 pm by Rubicon Models »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Father's Day 2020! 200621
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 01:45:04 pm »
Just my $0.02 worth, but...
You focused on the details of face so much that you forgot about  the hands.
Unless his right hand (holding the map?) is wearing a glove.
Both hands if the Commonwealth guy (Korean War) look like they are covered in stockings.
Maybe a little bit more detail in the hands will help.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 02:12:05 pm »
You focused on the details of face so much that you forgot about the hands.

That's because of the mould release angle... unless we make the hand a separate piece; otherwise is unavoidable.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 07:47:06 pm »

That's because of the mould release angle... unless we make the hand a separate piece; otherwise is unavoidable.
I do think making the arm in two pieces (shirt sleeve and bare arm with hand and map) might improve it.

I have to admit that Korea always make me think of cold weather, not shirt sleeves.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 01:49:49 am »
I find it really easy to add my own finger groves to make them a bit more pronounced (when it is called for). I would rather not have separate hand pieces that need to be assembled.

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 04:34:12 am »
I hate to be picky, but I have to agree - having put so much incredible effort into the lovely sharp detail and character of the headgear, faces, clothing and webbing, to then be satisfied with such vestigial hands is... just strange.

I know you are completely dedicated to absolute accuracy and the highest possible production standard in your kits. Aspects of your crew figures have long been my only criticism of your otherwise universally excellent output.
With such a commitment to excellence and continuous improvement, you CANNOT possibly be satisfied with those hands.
There has to be a better way to deliver the Rubicon quality we have come to expect and value.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 04:47:10 am »
I agree as well , the hands need some work . That being said , for the most part I replace arms / hands on pretty much all figures I build . I do  get a little tired of tank commanders holding binocs / maps or worse yet , pointing at something . Deal breaker ? No , its an easy fix with bits from the parts box . Has anyone ever seen the diorama someone posted on Armorama  of all the 1/35th Tamiya pointing figures ? Must of had  60 odd figures on the base , it was epic

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 10:51:06 am »

Other plastic figures (Perry, Warlord, PSC) seem to achieve pretty good details for the hands without having separate hands, but the arms are separate from the body. In a few cases, Warlord even offers separate hands for modifying the figure, but sadly, Warlord figures are getting more and more "Heroic Scale", so the hands are getting way too big!

I remember (from ancient times) these 1:48 scale WW2 Bandai plastic kits I use to regularly get from the local hobby shop (at least one a week). I still remember that the tiny hands of the infantry and crew figures had some finger details. However, I also remember that the arms were separate from the body.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 12:20:32 pm »
Hands can be very detailed even with the arms together.  Each plastic hand/arm detail is different based on how each part is sculpted or placed on the mould to make sure it can be "released" from the mould during production without issue.  There is a continuing effort for us to ensure our sculptors work more closely with our mould makers, it takes two to make better-detailed figures.

;)