Author Topic: My 1st Rubicon T-34/85  (Read 10320 times)

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
Re: My 1st Rubicon T-34/85
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 09:23:23 am »
Ive bought 2 packs of the warlord tank crews so far, but thinking about it ive only used them with warlord kits. I have a pack of warlord tank riders and a pack of (started) rubicon tank riders. Might well add them to one of the kits im doing now.

I like Bad Squido's female Russian tankers 

Oooo that got my attention. Only Bad Squido's ive seen and painted were a commision job....will certainly go have a look now! Thanks for that  ;D

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 11:46:26 am »
Bad Squido has a whole line of female Russian troops , tank riders , mortar crew , mg crew etc .  The tank crew set is a set of three , 1 seated ( looking  much like a famous female tank commander , who 's name I can't recall at the moment ) and the other two are 3/4 torso figures . I hope they release another set or two , would love some standing figures for a diorama

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 01:41:13 am »
Well this is my 1st T34-76 with poor cast turret done

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 10:03:48 am »
I think you should give the turret , 2 or 3 thin coats , letting it dry and maybe painting between coats , till it looks the way you want it too. The side vision ports were cast separate and then welded on , so would be a different texture . Here's a picture of a turret casting , note large pour blocks  (reminds me of a couple of resin kits I had back in the 70s ) , the side vision port area is much thinner so it can be cut out and port welded on

Note the large weld around the vision port

I think you should also cut back on the amount of wash your using  , unless your going for a burnt paint vibe . What brand  are you using to wash your model ? And are you adding pigment powders , before , after or when its still wet  ? Not being a dick but trying to help out a fellow modeler …..

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 03:46:25 pm »
This is the Bovington T34/85.

You might want to weather the decals a bit, it might be that you have and the photograph has washed out the differences.

How muddy are the tracks?

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 09:20:45 pm »
The side vision ports were cast separate and then welded on , so would be a different texture .

Yes I was wondering about that after I had put the effect on and the base coat. Next time.

What brand  are you using to wash your model ? And are you adding pigment powders , before , after or when its still wet  ?

Im using oils. Been experimenting with oils a lot recently. Process was adding pigments then thinned oil on top, let dry, different colour pigment on top followed by a different oil colour ontop.

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 09:22:20 pm »

You might want to weather the decals a bit, it might be that you have and the photograph has washed out the differences.

How muddy are the tracks?

Yeah good point on the decal. I'll take a sponge to it later.

And yes tracks are muddy too

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 01:22:23 am »
Oils , yikes ! They are way past my comfort zone . From what I've read ( AFV Modeller , etc ) you put like a few  dots from the end of a tooth pick on , let semi dry , then start blending . Really tricky and time consuming to get right . Of the guys in my circle of modelers only one guy has got it sorted. Most of us avoid it like the plague . well done you for sticking with it

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 01:33:09 am »
Its been interesting. Some of it I've grasped quite well. Some of it i still need more practice the t-34 isnt quite right. I think the odd dark green at the back is more of a lighting problem of mixing warm and white light. But yeah, not perfect, but not like I'll never do at-34/76 eve again haha

Felt this king tiger game out rather well (oils again).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 02:27:25 am »
The front panel of the turret ( picture 3 ) looks great . The cupola area looks like the paint caught fire , I wonder if you tried using paper towel to wick up thinners when you add it , might stop the puddling . I do that to suck up excess GW wash in recessed areas on my kits . Your rust on the spare track is much to red . Check out pictures of the Tiger display a Bovington, true they've been out of the weather for some time but are , what , 70 plus years old

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 03:05:50 am »
The area around the cupola is ment to be muddy...probably best to go get some dirt from outside next time  ;D

Yes the rusted tracks ate to red. Been alot of experimentation with pigments and oils.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 03:26:12 am »
You might want to use older or crap  kits to experiment on , it would be a shame to destroy a newer or well detailed kit  . I tend to experiment on older 1/35 kits from stash or on the bottom of my 1/56 kits , mistakes under there will never be seen

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 03:41:08 am »
Spare track from the stowage sprues is also useful.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 08:31:01 am »
Still could use some more stowage but I'm calling this one done

I got a little side tracked looking for crew for this tank . I have 18 Russian tanks built , with about half of them having removable crew , so they can be used as knocked out or abandoned tanks . So I decided to rethink crew allocation , as well as swap around some stowage ( logs , tarps , etc ) . Well that led to going back and adding open driver's visors on my T-34s as well as removing / replacing some decals so the tanks look like one unit . And with any bit of mucking about with built kits , I ended up replacing radio antennas .
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:14:21 am by ripley »