Author Topic: How about a Churchill?  (Read 5457 times)

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
How about a Churchill?
« on: March 06, 2021, 12:31:40 am »
 Given the recent excellent Valentine kits, is it perhaps finally time for a Churchill? The existing Warlord/Italeri kit is decent, but precludes making either early (MkI or II 2pdr armed variants) or late (MkVII/VIII) versions.
 The external hull appearance doesn't change dramatically across the marks (downward facing air-intake louvres give way to upward facing, the number of slats on the rear air intake increases, up-armoured sides to the track sponsons on the 'Heavy' MkVII/VIII etc.), with the main differences being the turrets (early small cast for the 2pdr, the welded and cast variants for the 6pdr armed tanks, the NA75 with its re-purposed Sherman 75mm & new cast turrets for the subsequent models).
 It could probably be done with 2 different kits, covering the earlier and later models respectively - and since the Churchill should probably be regarded as the most significant British made tank of the war - in production for most of the conflict, serving in North Africa, the disastrous Dieppe landings,  the ETO and in the East under lend-lease, it would seem that one is due - any chance?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: How about a Churchill?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 03:12:22 am »
Probably could be done with one hull shell if the various styles of air intakes . hull side doors  , and turrets were separate pieces . Rubicon has done something similar with the various Sherman , T-26 and Tiger kits  . I could always use a few more Churchills

Eclaireur

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 10:25:27 pm »
I think a Churchill would be an excellent idea. I know it's been canvassed before here, and one of the arguments against it was that there are plastic alternatives such as Warlord. But I think the Rubicon one would be better.
Having recently made the Valentine I'm not sure it's the way to go though Ballardian. Too many pieces, eg running gear and turret, made it more of a modellers kit than a wargamers one IMO.
EC 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:28:38 pm by Eclaireur »

emmanuel

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 04:37:19 pm »
ok for a Rubicon churchill but in that case an AVRE version is needed :)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 10:53:01 pm »
The Warlord / Italeri  is pretty good kit that Rubicon probably couldn't make much better . With the 2 turret styles and the 5 or 6 gun options its a winner IMO , really just needs the AVRE side mounts and redesigned mg's hatch for the Petard loader , but that's  really easy kit bash .

This is mine from last year . Also S&S Models (UK) have the AVRE pieces in white metal , sold  with / without the plastic Churchill , plus they have the bridge kit !!! , so really the AVRE is covered unless someone decides to do other "Funny " versions  ( Bobbin etc ) in plastic

Eclaireur

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 11:05:11 pm »
Trenchworx have got some of the funnies covered Ripley. Bobbin, AVRE + fascine, and AVLB.

https://store.warlordgames.com/products/churchill-avre-with-bobbin?_pos=3&_sid=0e3804d31&_ss=r

I built the Warlord/Italaeri Churchill as an AVRE too. I agree it's a versatile kit - and with some of their models I do actually find myself wondering - heresy - whether I don't prefer their simpler approach to some of the more elaborate recent Rubicon offerings. But I still reckon a Rubicon Churchill could sell very well.
EC

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 11:59:13 pm »
I agree that the Warlord/Italeri kit is decent, but my point was that you couldn’t make either the Mk’s I/II or VII/VIII from it - which precludes representing Dieppe or some N African models, or one of the principal post-Normandy marks. Hence there’s a gap for a good plastic model (the JTFM resin one is good and the Warlord version is ok, but a plastic one would be preferable).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 12:07:47 am »
I saw the Trenchworx kits on Warlord's site . They run about $110 - $130 Canadian each  :o , for that kind of money I could get 3 plastic Churchills and a goodly amount of plastic strip / pieces and build my own . If Rubicon did release they're own Churchill then they could do some expansion packs for the AVRE large  bits , bobbin , bridge, ark , etc . Probably better to do that than make add on kits for other company's products as is the norm in the 1/35 modelling world , 1/56 being rather limited .
On a hobby shop road trip yesterday I picked up another Churchill , as I'm going to order the S&S bridge kit , for a diorama / scenery piece I want to build . Love the Churchill
Yes a Mark I / II plastic kit would be great as well as a VII / Croc , Rubicon has released stuff that has already been covered by others , so who knows . Probably have to wait a while as they seem to be fixated Nam right now  :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:11:22 am by ripley »

Eclaireur

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 05:32:31 pm »
Your modelling skills are much superior to mine, I'm sure Ripley. Since I play Chain of Command skirmish actions I can't really see a fleet of funnies justifying the cost! But maybe an AVRE with fascine as a part of a scenario to get across an anti-tank ditch ...
EC

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 02:07:49 am »
Late model Churchills would be great (with a Crocodile option).

Early models might be better in resin (ask that nice Rich H to master it).
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=122344.0