Author Topic: M5A1 Stuart / M8 Scott - Project CLOSED!  (Read 73436 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
M5A1 Stuart / M8 Scott - Project CLOSED!
« on: February 04, 2015, 07:56:24 pm »
Now that our Q1/15 projects are almost finished, we are starting some Q2 projects... As you might already know the M3 Halftracks 3D drawings are already done, and had been moved to 3D prototyping; also 3D drawing done is this M5A1/M8 combo!  Features of this M5A1 include:

- Be able to build a M5A1 as a mid or late production model
- Be able to build a M8 75mm HMC
- Be able to build a M5A1 Kangaroo
- Include spare wheels and hedgerow cutter

This is not final yet as we still have to see if everything will fit onto the sprues!

* Does the M5A1 Kangaroo looks like a 40K Rhino?  What a coincident!

C&C welcome!

;)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:42:19 pm by Rubicon Models »

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
Re: M5A1/M8 Stuart
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 08:58:16 pm »
Lovely. My brits want a couple.

Vanth

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:14:04 pm »
Shouldn't that be called a Stuart  Jalopee rather than a Kangaroo? I seem to remember that the Kangaroos were based on the canadian Ram tank... *confused*

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 09:34:51 pm »
They called the turret less  Ram , Sherman , Stuart and gun less Priest - Kangaroos . IRC the Depot that converted the first  Priests to personal carriers ( in Italy ? ) was code named Kangaroo - so they called the resulting vehicles -  Kangaroos . Great looking kit Rubicon !

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:35:16 pm »
Shouldn't that be called a Stuart  Jalopee rather than a Kangaroo? I seem to remember that the Kangaroos were based on the canadian Ram tank... *confused*

In the summer of 1942, the British usually kept Stuarts out of tank-to-tank combat, using them primarily for reconnaissance. The turret was removed from some examples to save weight and improve speed and range. These became known as "Stuart Recce". Some others were converted to armored personnel carriers known as the "Stuart Kangaroo", and some were converted command vehicles and known as "Stuart Command".

Reference Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Stuart

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:47:11 pm »
These look great.  I'd have preferred an M3A3, as it was much more common in British service, but I can see why you went for the M5A1.

I've never seen Stuart "Jalopies" in any reference book.  The other name that seems to have been used was "sawn-off Stuarts".  The "Jalopy" name seems to be a creation of FoW, but I stand to be corrected.  The "Kangaroo" version seems to have been fairly rare (especially on the M5A1 chassis); I think most turretless Stuarts were the "Recce" version. 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 10:26:29 pm »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 12:09:42 am »
Be careful - that might actually be a T8E1, which was a US conversion that saw very limited service.  It was fitted with the raised .50 cal gun ring that you have on your version.  The Recce/Kangaroo conversion was more improvised.  I can't say for sure that there were no Recce/Kangaroo variants with that gun ring, but it wasn't typical.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 12:19:23 am »
Be careful - that might actually be a T8E1, which was a US conversion that saw very limited service.  It was fitted with the raised .50 cal gun ring that you have on your version.  The Recce/Kangaroo conversion was more improvised.  I can't say for sure that there were no Recce/Kangaroo variants with that gun ring, but it wasn't typical.
Pinky, you might be correct.  We have the same question too!  Had been trying to look for more info on the gun ring... not much lucky!  Might need to ask around for some solid background check!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 12:43:57 am »
Maybe just do the more basic additions, like the simple armoured shields and folded canvas tilt? 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 01:46:04 am »
WANT ADVICE!

As discussed with Pinky, we have some design issues with the Kangaroo/Recce regarding the gun ring on top of the turret ring:

In our drawing, we have this raised gun ring, which we think is only available on the T8E1 and not the M5A1.  From very limited historical pictures, the Kangaroo/Recce conversion was more improvised, and mostly field upgraded.

We might just go ahead with the current design if there are no solid feedback, as it do looks good!  :D

Any pointers, comments or suggestions?

;)

Cat

• Private
    • View Profile
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 03:01:03 am »
Just posted this over on TMP, this oneis  at Duxford Imperial War Museum:

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 04:55:46 am »
I would prefer without the ring, but it wouldn't prevent me from buying the kit. I would simply leave it off.

But if you can use the space on the sprue for something else I think you should do that instead and loose the ring.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 08:09:25 am »
Just posted this over on TMP, this oneis  at Duxford Imperial War Museum:

That's not necessarily historically accurate, Cat.  It could be a T8E1 which a collector is using as a Recce/Kangaroo.  This is what it looked like:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:19:20 am by Pinky »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 08:29:04 am »
We might just go ahead with the current design if there are no solid feedback, as it do looks good!  :D

Given that (1) the M5A1 wasn't widely used by the Commonwealth forces, and (2) this turret ring doesn't seem to have been a feature of the Recce/Kangaroo, if you produce this version you'll end up with a rather obscure vehicle…