Author Topic: M4A2 Sherman  (Read 12822 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
M4A2 Sherman
« on: January 22, 2017, 07:53:45 pm »
Because of the extend for each M4 variant is getting increasingly more in contents,
with 3D drawings, prototypes, and starting to see some TS plastics; we have decided
to split them up into new topics so that people can follow them much easier!

NOTE: Common sprues, like the road wheels, tracks, suspension, and turrets will
still be posted under the original topic: Codename: Sherman 2016

This one is for the M4A2 Sherman.

;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:02:59 pm by Rubicon Models »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: M4A2 Sherman
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 07:58:51 pm »
M4A2 Large Hatch prototype...

Enjoy!
;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 08:00:04 pm »
M4A2 Small Hatch prototype...

Enjoy!
;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:01:07 pm »
The British version of the M4A2, the Sherman III...

Enjoy!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 10:25:05 pm »
This is looking good. 2 points:

- versions with appliqué armour also had the later wide gun shield.  Something to bear in mind when doing the instructions.
- the rear plate still has no tools or rivets. 

Really like the Sherman III.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 10:40:42 pm »
Nice rear deck photos here:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/sherman_types/m4a2/m4a2.html

The track tensioner seems to have a number of locations.

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 11:29:27 pm »
I really like the way your Sherman tank project is coming along. The M34 gun mount on the 75mm gun turret could use a little more refining. There should be bolt detail all along the edges of the gun mount, where it attaches to the turret. That edge where the bolts attach the mount to the turret should also be wider. And the lift rings on the M34 gun mount look like they are on the edge of the gun mount ,where the bolts attach the mount to the turret. These should not be where they are located. They should be further in on the gun mount casting itself,in one of two locations.

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 11:37:45 pm »
Also, the little bulge that you have on your M34A1 gun mount, along the right side from the front of the gun mount, should also be on the M34 gun mount.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 12:25:04 am »
@H0ffman:

Can you show what you mean using the pictures here and the Rubicon photographs.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/gun_mounts/gun_mounts.html

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 01:02:58 am »
I'm not too tech savvy, so I'm unable to cut and paste photos here. If you look at the fourth picture on the Sherman minutia  link you sent,it shows what I am referring to. You can see bolts all along the edges of the M34 gun mount,where it attaches to the turret. Then refer to the 3D comparison of the low and high bustle turret. The M34 gun mount is on the right side turret. It doesn't show any bolt detail at all.
  The fifth picture on the Sherman minutia link shows the other position of the lift rings for the M34 gun mount that I commented on earlier.
  I'd hate for Rubicon to go through all this effort to produce a very good new M4A2 hull,just to have it ruined by soft detailing on the turret gun mount.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 01:11:18 am »
These two:

And

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 01:19:55 am »
If you look at the fourth picture on the Sherman minutia  link you sent,it shows what I am referring to. You can see bolts all along the edges of the M34 gun mount, where it attaches to the turret. Then refer to the 3D comparison of the low and high bustle turret. The M34 gun mount is on the right side turret. It doesn't show any bolt detail at all.

Sometimes we have to lower the part count so that everything can be fitted onto a single sprue.  In some cases, we might needed to combine several parts into a single piece, thus requiring us to omit some details.  In some other cases, it is the mould release angle that limited us to put details on a certain piece.

Anyway, will look into this matter with our designer, and get back to you on the subject!

;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 01:38:20 am »
Thanks.

There is bolt detail on the Warlord M4 M34A1 but not on the M4A4 M34A1.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 01:51:41 am »
There are detail photographs of the Warlord mantlets here:

http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/compare-sherman-gun-mantlet.html

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 02:15:44 am »
The real problem in designing a Sherman kit is the number of manufacturors  that made parts , There were ,7 or 8 factories that assembled them , some from their own parts ,  and some ie turret , wheels & track  , from smaller compaines .  Each company large and small , as the war dragged on , redesigned their product for ease of manufactor / man hours , cost and availabilty of raw materials . So you might have , due to avalabilty, ,  2 or 3 styles of , say mantle or radio ant . pot or driver hoods . The vehicles in museums and public displays have been cobbled together from a 1 to 1 scale parts box , of things built 70 years ago . I think Rubicon is doing pretty good in getting things designed as well as they possibly can . Will they get it 100 % right ? Probably not , but then IMO no other kit manufacteror in any scale has . And if the kit comes with something I don't like or want changed because its to early war / late war , I'll fix it , cause that's part of my hobbty ;D