Author Topic: Bedford QLD 3-ton Truck - Drawing Update 190418  (Read 16973 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bedford QL 3-ton Truck - 3D Prototype 190413
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 10:25:08 pm »
Bedford QLD prototype done...

Enjoy!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 12:02:53 am »
It looks great, but what about the point that was made earlier about this being a cargo vehicle not the troop carrier? 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 02:36:23 am »
It looks great, but what about the point that was made earlier about this being a cargo vehicle not the troop carrier?

This is the QLD cargo version, the troop version QLT had a longer axle and totally different rear trunk, thus not able to make this kit a multi-variant project.  Might do a QLT later.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 09:01:57 pm »
I think the original point was that the QLT will be far more popular.  Wargamers prefer troop transports to cargo carriers. 

ToaDi

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 09:35:55 pm »
Looks great, but like alot of people I'm more interested in troop transport. In warlord games' bolt action series a lot would allow me to transport 29 troops, saving me a lot of points on other vehicles trying to do the same, being able to get qlts or even 3ocwt and 3ton trucks would be far preferable to a cargo truck

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 07:01:42 am »
While true , a troop carrier version would be awesome , who the hell makes figures to fit in it ?

No sense having a open top troop carrier and not having troops to go in it, right ? How are  you going to fit 20 plus ( ? ) guys in the back of a QLT with that kind of seating  ? But  I could use kit bashed  standing plastic  figures in the back of the cargo version  , maybe I couldn't fit in 20 , but at least I could make  a dozen figures fit . And if I base them on a false floor , they could be removed and the vehicle used for cargo . Planning on doing that on my GAZ AAA when I pick up  the quad MG mount

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 10:16:15 am »
I guess seated Commonwealth infantry could be Rubicon's next (presumably pewter) add-on.  It certainly looks like a more impressive model.

Seriously, I do wonder if Rubicon's researchers realised that the version that's under production is actually a supply vehicle.  British softskins are perhaps less well known than German and US types, and it'd be an easy mistake to make.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 11:21:45 am »
Except for fuel / water type tankers and office / workshop type boxes , both US and German trucks pretty much did it all  troop and cargo hauling wise with fold down ( US ) or removable benches ( German ) .Why the UK went for separate rear box types  is beyond me . Maybe a troop version with pewter or resin figures  could be possible in the future . I just think the figures are going to look really squished and under scale if you max the seat area with troops . In real life most troop vehicles  are a really close fit for the full compliment of troops especially if they are wearing their full combat kit . Most model vehicle crew sets ( 1/35 ) usually have about half the crew the real vehicle would carry due to fit issues

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 12:18:23 pm »
I am not worried about placing actual troop minis in the back of any truck. Canvas tilt in place, and I am good. The truck will stop at some point, and my individually based minis will disembark and head into action. All is well.

I have a hard enough time building and painging minis I am going to fight with. Buying and modelling and painting passengers is way down my list. 

So I want the troop transport because its the right vehicle. If it comes with a full cover in back, that makes it perfect.

If/when anybody ever releases passengers that fit nicely, I might think about getting those. I got the resin ones Warlord did for their halftracks on a whim. They are still unpainted.  And I bought their Opel Blitz because it came with German troops for the back. Those guys are also still unpainted.

Anyway, as cool as the cargo truck looks, it is a pass for me. Hope it works for others. Hate for it to not sell, and that kills plans to eventually release the troop version!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bedford QL 3-ton Truck - Drawing Update 190418
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 03:34:52 pm »
While we understand the QLT is a wargamer choice, we think the QLD is still important as it played an important role during WW2; plus there are many conversion potentials as well.

We have made some minor changes to the Bedford QLD 3D drawings after the prototypes are done; also from FB and factory feedback. Now awaiting final approval of drawings...

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 10:09:54 pm »
Nice looking vehicle.

I can understand the emphasis on the troop carrier. The cargo carrier will be useful  for objectives etc.

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2019, 10:22:16 pm »
I'm sure in a pinch the QLD could be used to carry some infantry where no QLT was available. Don't panic people. It's ok.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2019, 10:55:01 pm »
It's not panic. This is a hobby. Lives are not at stake. However, with limited hobby dollars, I am much, much more likely to buy a troop carrier (QLT) which is guaranteed to hit the gaming table, and then perhaps for scenario reasons impress that vehicle into carrying cargo, instead of buying a cargo hauler (QLD) and pressing that into service as a troop carrier.

Would rather buy a Warlord troop carrier than a superior plastic cargo vehicle ... if I have a choice.

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2019, 04:30:12 am »
Lives are not at stake
Sometimes I REALLY find that hard to believe XD

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 11:28:36 am »
Quote from: EarlyWarGamer
I am much, much more likely to buy a troop carrier (QLT) which is guaranteed to hit the gaming table, and then perhaps for scenario reasons impress that vehicle into carrying cargo, instead of buying a cargo hauler (QLD) and pressing that into service as a troop carrier.

I'm the same way. My preference is towards a troop carrier first. The main reason is because of the gaming hobby.

Yes, for gaming purposes a cargo hauler can be pressed into service as a troop carrier, but the same can be said with a troop carrier. That is, for gaming purposes a troop carrier can be pressed into service as a cargo hauler.

But the reality is that most people that use miniatures and/or models to play their games tend to want troop carriers instead of cargo haulers if given a choice.

That being said, if no choice is given, then there is no choice. You get what is available (in plastic).