Author Topic: Tracks' M4 Medium tank thread  (Read 48564 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Tracks' M4 Medium tank thread
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2018, 10:54:45 am »
Oh - I thought it was yours.  I guess that's also a reflection of how well Rubicon paints their kits!

If yours is still in progress, then it'd be worth adding the tracks with extended end connectors.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2018, 04:14:31 pm »
Oh - I thought it was yours.  I guess that's also a reflection of how well Rubicon paints their kits!
I had mentioned it was Rubicon's. Also, the picture has their name and date.  ???

If yours is still in progress, then it'd be worth adding the tracks with extended end connectors.
Sorry Pinky, it is too late for that. As mentioned, I had already completed the model, but later decided to remove the muzzle break.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2018, 09:43:16 pm »
The perils of reading the forum on a BlackBerry screen!

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2018, 08:25:24 pm »
My M36B1 is complete and ready for the gaming table. I think I said this before, but all my 1/56 scale plastic kits are assembled and painted for the purpose of gaming only, and not the highly detailed work you would see for competition or static display.

Removing the muzzle bread was very easy, and scratch building the collar ring wasn't that difficult. However, I did not bother with the fine threading at the end of the barrel in front of the collar ring.

The crew figures are plastic and converted from various other figures from Rubicon Models plastic kits.

I used a brass pin, so the HMG actually swivels. I didn't have to do that, but it was pretty easy, so why not?

Here is a better picture of the commander figure before clean up and painting. Originally I was planning to use this figure for something else, but since I have spares, I went ahead and used the little guy for my M36B1. I did have to cut off the lower part of his legs to make him fit.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2018, 09:10:36 pm »
Looks good

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2018, 10:00:28 pm »
I repeat my earlier comments as regards your skill at painting...

I'm still not sold on Rubicon's figures, but they are properly in scale with the vehicles and that's a plus.

Now I want to do one of these!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:32:28 pm by Pinky »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2018, 04:27:11 am »
For fun, I'm thinking about using a RM kit to make a "Field Expedient Jumbo" using the Rubicon Models M4A3 / M4A3E8 Sherman (Product Code: 280042).

These tanks were created using the 76mm gun armed M4A3 with HVSS and increasing the armor protection. Additional armor was welded to the glacis and turret as shown in the picture. This additional armor was actually scavenged from wrecked tanks (German and American) that had not "brewed-up" (go up in flames) - the heat of the intense fire compromised the strength of the steel. Using the armor from other wrecked M4s was preferable because the entire glacis plates could be cut away. This made adding the extra armor to the "Field Expedient Jumbo" easier, there are a lot of pictures showing various ways how the armor was added. I have plenty sheets of plastic of various thickness, so that will not be a problem.

I was just wondering if anyone else has contemplated making a "Field Expedient Jumbo", or has already started or finish such a project. If so I would be interested in hearing and/pr seeing some of the tweaks or ideas you did.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2018, 07:42:05 am »
Very cool idea . Never thought of it myself as I only like Shermans with the VVSS wheel sets  :-[ .  Lots of variations out there , should be easy to bash up once you pick the version you want to model ;D

IRC , I've seen a picture of one with zimmert on the steel plate , think it was from the nose  of a Panther
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:44:08 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2018, 04:06:09 pm »
For a really freaky version, there was a model of an Israeli live fire target (manned vehicle used as target for small calibre guns) with front and side armour from scavenged plate from donor vehicles. I have found photographs of ones with side armour.

From Wikipedia.
Bonus points for identifying the donors.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2018, 04:09:54 pm »
Company B used to do a kit for one.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2018, 11:11:15 pm »
I still recommend good books like:

But for those that do not know about this website yet, here is a good site on the Sherman:
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html

I have not fully explored this site in detail, so I do not know if everything is 100% accurate, but there is some useful information.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2018, 11:14:20 pm »
Bonus points for identifying the donors.

Looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. I'll get back to you on this.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2018, 11:17:17 pm »
With those round hatches , looks like some kind of T-34 or T-10M rear transmission access plates . Looking at it again , I would say two T-34 transmission hatch plates , the squares on either side of the round hatch is where the T-34 exhaust covers go

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:18:01 am by ripley »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2018, 10:02:46 am »
The most alarming thing about this vehicle is that it was manned!  Some battle-crazed Israeli had to drive this while his mates took shots at him.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2018, 10:47:24 am »
IRC it was for training crews on how to sight in and traverse on a moving target , They used small caliber rounds ( 20/30mm ) , I think a 105 round would really ruin your day if it landed on target . Probably cheaper than all that laser stuff the USA and Germans use