Author Topic: Suggestion as to what glues/cements to use for Rubicon Models.  (Read 16203 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
What is the best glue/cement to use when assembling a plastic model kit? There are several factors to consider, but the type of plastic the model is made from is an important factor. Short story is that model glues/cements work by dissolving the plastic parts. This is what creates the bond, so its important for a glue/cement to react with the plastic for a good bond.

For my test, I only used liquid model glues/cements. I did not try any of the thick or gel types.

Even though there are many brands available to the modeler, I only have the following glues/cements to use for testing:
+ Mr. Cement
+ Plastruct Plastic Weld
+ Revell
+ Tamiya
+ Tamiya Extra Thin
+ Testor
+ Tenax-7R

The plastic I used for testing is the plastic Rubicon Models uses to make their kits. To be more specific, I only used the dark green plastic and not the newer gray plastic, but Rubicon Models has stated that there is no difference between the two other than color. The reason I used the dark green plastic was because at the time (several months ago) this was the only Rubicon Models plastic I had to work with. Yes, I had glued these plastic pieces together sometime ago, and they have been sitting on my shelf. Not only has the glue completely set, but has aged a little.

What I did was cut equal lengths of plastic from the extra sprue and glued/cemented two of them together. After sitting for several months, I performed some simple stress tests (pulling on them) to see how easy the pieces came apart. To make a long story short, some where more easily pulled apart then others.

I got the best results from Tenax-7R and Tamiya extra thin, and while Revell worked, the bond was not as strong as others. That being said, all the glues/cements worked, but Tenax-7R and Tamiya Extra Thin were the clear winners. The Tamiya Extra Thin cement was even a bit better than the normal Tamiya cement!

When I assemble a Rubicon Model, I only use Tenax-7R or Tamiya cement, but I also use Tamiya Extra Thin cement whenever I can. The reality is, I really like this Tamiya Extra Thin. For those that have not used Tamiya Extra Thin yet, I would like to pass on a suggestion. I found it works best if you install the part first and then use the Tamiya Extra Thin. For tiny parts, apply a very thin coat of Tamiya Extra Thin - just enough to make the plastic sticky -  then use tweezers to install the part. Once the part is in place, use a little Tamiya Extra Thin to secure it as you adjust the part's position.

What glues have you been using to build your Rubicon Models, and what sort of results have you been getting?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:06:27 am by Tracks »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Suggestion as to what glues/cements to use for Rubicon Models.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 12:18:35 am »
I initially used Humbrol liquid poly (I also managed to glue Starship Troopers plastic figures with it). I did have some problems with the Studebaker Katyusha.

Pinky suggested the Tamiya thin liquid poly and with the exception of the jeep's chassis and body (not sure if it is relevant but it had a poor fill) it seems to bond okay.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 07:24:09 am »
Plastic magic all the way.

Without starting the usual argument, revell is pointless to use as it will fall apart.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 12:02:59 am »
I agree with elias in that the Revell liquid cement "is pointless to use as it will fall apart."
It goes without saying, but testing a glue/cement first is always a good idea.

From my experience, I find that Tamiya Extra Thin and Tenax-7R are some my favorite glues/cements to work when it comes to building plastic models from various manufactures that might use different plastics. When testing for usability, these two always seem to work the best. I have not come across a plastic model kit (including Rubicon Models) that Tenax-7R cannot melt into a puddle of plastic goo.

Even though Tenax-7R evaporates quickly and looks like it has set, the plastic stays a bit soft for hours and its best to let set overnight. This is a blessing and a curse, but mostly a blessing if you plan for it.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 04:32:58 pm »
I stick to my earlier comments about Revell cement.  I haven't tried Rubicon's new plastic yet, but I really like the new colour!

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 06:45:41 am »
Same plastic, just different pigmentation.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Lenzman

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 06:10:36 pm »
I use the special glue from pattex for plastic kits. It works with almost all materials except metal. But I don´t if it is available in every country.

Link only in German.
http://www.pattex.de/do-it-yourself-mit-pattex-klebstoffe-produkte-new/pattex-klebstoffe/spezialkleber/spezialkleber-modellbau.html
My neighbor is listening to techno. Wether he likes it or not.

Cat

• Private
    • View Profile
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 12:55:08 am »
Model Master Liquid Cement For Plastic Models (in the black bottle with the nice long applicator tip) works just fine on the StuG I'm building now.

zedeyejoe

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 01:40:44 am »
I just build my first Rubicon model, a Tiger I.
Went hunting for an ABS plastic glue and got Technicqll rigid plastic glue on Ebay. Certainly does the trick, melting the plastic together for a strong quick bond. Easy to use. Tube applicator is a bit large for the job but with care you can get just the right amount of glue out to do the job. Glue also has a tendency to 'string' but a roll of the tube usually breaks it and then its on to glue the next part.
Tip, put the parts together to see how they fit before using glue. That way you know that you are doing the job right before you glue the part into place.
I have another glue from a firm called Bison on the way. Will see if that is any better,
Just got the Bison glue (called, plastic adhesive). Same quick and good bond, but not stringing. So go for the Bison IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:20:47 pm by zedeyejoe »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 11:37:21 pm »
I was able to obtain a tube of the Technicqll glue zedeyejoe talks about. It does work very well with Rubicon's plastic. That being said, for my build style, I will have to stick with Tamiya Extra Thin and Tenax-7R glues. For big parts, that is where the Technicqll glue will come in handy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 11:39:21 pm by Tracks »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 10:26:30 am »
I recently just learned of this product, so it is pretty new to me. Also, I have not tried it, but has anyone here tried the Bondic Liquid Plastic Welder with LED Light? Seems interesting, so I am curious about this product and would like to hear from others that have tired it.

I think it will be really hard to beat my favorite Tenax-7R (and Tamiya Extra Thin), but I keep an open mind.

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 12:01:28 pm »
I have used a similar product to fix porcelain.  Years later the repair still works.
I haven't used that particular one though.

SheriffSherman

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 12:59:07 am »
The Tamiya extra thin is almost too good on RM plastic, don’t use too much, I learned that the hard way, it really softens and melts the joints together.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 02:59:24 am »
The Tamiya extra thin is almost too good on RM plastic, don’t use too much, I learned that the hard way, it really softens and melts the joints together.
I have only had a few issues with Tamiya and Rubicon kits (most of the ones I have built are the darker grey plastic), where it has not got a good grip on parts. I have tacked some parts together using thickened Humbrol liquid poly then fed Tamiya thin afterwards.

I have found that sometimes the solvent evaporates away, so it is not as aggressive.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 12:02:30 pm »
Quote from: ultravanillasmurf
I have found that sometimes the solvent evaporates away, so it is not as aggressive.

I have not experienced this yet, but I will have to keep this in mind. Thanks for passing this along.

Because I mostly use Tenax-7R and Tamiya Extra Thin (these evaporate quickly) for the bulk of my model building (including Rubicon Models), it's good to be aware of this.

One note to add about using Tenax-7R (fantastic stuff!). Even though it evaporates quickly, the plastic remains "not-set" for an hour or two. So don't be surprised if after you glue the top wing of an Albatros D.V in place and get it perfectly aligned only to noticed that it shifted a little when you come back later. (when using any glue, this is why most use jigs and leave overnight)

Okay, one more note to add about using Tenax-7R. Watch its shelf life. Even though the bottle is glass, and it has a very good sealing lid, the liquid level goes down over time (takes years). I discovered this with some fresh bottles of Tenax-7R I have in my stash. The new unopened bottles are not as full as they use to be.