Author Topic: Vietnam scenery…  (Read 4672 times)

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
Vietnam scenery…
« on: July 26, 2021, 03:10:18 am »
The VW Type 1, in civilian colours, the plan being to use it as scenery for the Vietnam models when they arrive. May open out the split rear window to give it a more 1960s feel. The military tyres are a bit jarring, but won’t look so obvious once painted. Bumpers and headlights will get a coat of molotow chrome. As might the window frames if I feel brave. My only criticism? No glazing, but some blister pack and careful trimming should solve that.

VW Beetle by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

VW Beetle by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:08:04 am by 06/24 »

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: VW Type 1, Vietnam scenery…
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 03:29:04 am »
Please excuse the rubbish paint finish, Tamiya rattle can but it was too warm yesterday (never thought I’d say that in Scotland) so the paint was drying before it landed. I’ll clean up the mould line I missed on the rear fenders and have another go - body and floor pan remain separate until I’ve detail painted and resprayed. I narrowed the track on the wheels, as both front and rear looked a little wide.

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 03:55:17 am »
Just spotted the CCKW in the background of this image, another possible Vietnam scenery item beckons  8)

SAIGON 1966 - Ngã tư Bảy Hiền - Photo by Ivan Bunn by manhhai, on Flickr

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 08:28:24 am »
Neat idea for the VW model.

Just to point out, on the left side of the pic just popping into frame is a VW bus (another classic VW). It is near the light-blue CCKW.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 03:32:41 pm by Tracks »

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 02:03:14 pm »
Neat idea for the VW model.

Just to point out, on the left side of the pic just popping into frame is a VW bus (another classic VW). It is to the right of the light-blue CCKW.

Yes, I hope Rubicon have a Type 2 in their plans  :) Also there’s a Citroen TA in the centre of the photo

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Vietnam scenery…
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 02:14:07 am »
Early days, but the beginnings of my take on the civvy CCKW, it will need dust and fading, and a driver and passenger, but I’m pleased so far. As this I the third CCKW I’ve built, I’ve learned a few things, of which the most important is to sand/scrape the ridge off the outside of the tyres, they look much better for it.

Untitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

It’s not an exact match to the one in the photo, but what’s to say Mr Nguyen didn’t own more than one

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 12:10:31 pm »
Quote from: 06/24
It’s not an exact match to the one in the photo, but what’s to say Mr Nguyen didn’t own more than one

After you apply your "dust and fading", it will look the part. Looking forward to seeing the final work.

I have one more CCKW (Rubicon Models) kit in my stash, so if I ever get into Vietnam War tabletop gaming, maybe I will do the same. However, chances are it will be a WW2 truck in the end - probably with American war paint.

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 03:02:29 am »
I have two built as WW2 US vehicles, and another in the “to-do” cupboard which will probably be the same, but this was such an inspirational photo I felt it had to be attempted. If I build my Citroen TA in black it can do double duty for both the liberation of France and Vietnam.

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 08:46:56 pm »
A little more work on the Beetle this morning, paint on the interior (no idea what colour it should be, but blue vinyl seemed as plausible as anything) and the tyres. Hubcaps are spares from the Tilly, they’re smaller than the ones in the Type 1 kit and looked better to me. Finally, although I’m not sure it shows in the photo, I’ve bevelled the top and bottom edge of the bumpers, as they looked a bit industrial with square edges.

06/24

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 02:06:45 am »
Mr Nguyen’s truck needs a wash

And the pair

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 02:32:23 am by 06/24 »