Author Topic: WIP Stuh 42  (Read 5378 times)

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
WIP Stuh 42
« on: December 20, 2015, 05:12:21 pm »
Stuh 42 so far

Hull

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:15:40 pm by stevepalffy »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: WIP Stuh 42
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 06:17:02 pm »
Nice.

So you add the tracks and running gear after painting the hull, do you assemble the tracks, rear face wheels and idlers etc as a sub assembly then add it afterwards?

I have wondered if Rubicon could do the outside facing wheels separately and have the inside ones attached to the track (yes I remove the link pieces between the inner wheel faces), as that would make the painting easier, the outer faces being painted and then added to the black undercoated lower hull and tracks.

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 07:21:17 pm »
Yes sub assemblies on this one...2 x.tracks and wheels...hull....2x shurzen.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:23:49 pm by stevepalffy »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:06:19 pm »
I have wondered if Rubicon could do the outside facing wheels separately and have the inside ones attached to the track (yes I remove the link pieces between the inner wheel faces), as that would make the painting easier, the outer faces being painted and then added to the black undercoated lower hull and tracks.

We have several design concepts before the final decision on how to handle the outer and inner wheels.  For an average modeler or gamer, our current design works best for them.

Consider this:
1. A one piece outer wheel with connecting link looks very odd.  On some vehicles, like on the Panther, it cannot be done.
2. Single piece wheel needs two plastic injection points, cutting it off, filing and sanding it, rarely give you a "round" circle wheel.
3. Whenever is possible and easy with assembly, we will have separate outer wheels, like on the SdKfz 251.
4. It is really a case by case thing, our current Panzer IV takes a different approach.

We will continue to learn and experiment with new designs based on feedback and new techniques.
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 11:03:03 pm »
Not wanting to hijack someone else's thread but...

We have several design concepts before the final decision on how to handle the outer and inner wheels.  For an average modeler or gamer, our current design works best for them.

Consider this:
1. A one piece outer wheel with connecting link looks very odd.  On some vehicles, like on the Panther, it cannot be done.
2. Single piece wheel needs two plastic injection points, cutting it off, filing and sanding it, rarely give you a "round" circle wheel.
3. Whenever is possible and easy with assembly, we will have separate outer wheels, like on the SdKfz 251.
4. It is really a case by case thing, our current Panzer IV takes a different approach.

We will continue to learn and experiment with new designs based on feedback and new techniques.
;)

I certainly agree that that would look odd, and that cleaning up the wheels takes me a lot of time. ^___^
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:07:26 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:53:07 am »
Personally I like the set up of this kit ....it takes less time to build and the painting is no more difficult for me than if the wheels were separate. ...keep em coming like this and the panther. ..and im happy....if/when I build another Stug I will fully assemble it before paint....just like I did with the Panzer III.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 04:41:32 pm »
Yes sub assemblies on this one...2 x.tracks and wheels...hull....2x shurzen.

Thanks, I am always on the lookout for better ways of building and painting.

From your later post you would just have the lower hull, upper hull and skirts for painting your next version?

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 05:36:45 pm »
Details painted ready for washes.

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 08:07:46 pm »
Vallejo oiled earth wash applied.