Author Topic: Allied Stowage Set 1 - CLOSED!  (Read 36124 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Allied Stowage Set 1 - Updated 160410
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2016, 03:11:03 am »
I agree with Ripley about the size of the crates, I have so far used the German Stowage #15 on a Stug and an M4. Smaller boxes would be more useful as they can fit on the tanks.

Oh, and for the second German set can we have some Panzerschreck boxes, they fit nicely on 11 AD Shermans' mudguards (pages 18 and 21 of British Tanks in Normandy by Ludovic Fortin).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2016, 06:11:41 am »
Personally I would rather have boxes for the Western allies that aren't generic . For example , 25pdr ammo boxes , of both types  ( charge & projectile )  were used by everyone  for on vehicle stowage . The metal boxes were water tight with a rubber seal , and the inside dividers could be removed as various ammo types used the same box . IRC the 25pdr propellant box ( held 4 ) was also used for the 2 inch smoke rounds ( 12 ) that were fired in most British tanks and US Shermans . You see them  welded on the turret rear of Shermans , and even in cut outs on the fenders of Canadian Stag Hound armored cars . Most 75 mm boxes were made of wood and there is a lack of them in period photos , probably cut up and burned to make tea or coffee . ::) Plus US rounds also came in cardboard style tubes , just look at any photo of a tank used as a mobile field gun in Italy , you see piles of them . There are also a few versions of the 6pdr boxes that would also be use full . On the German side  , you only see ammo boxes during resupplyiing ammo as the boxes weren't deep enough to hold stuff and being wood , not water tight . You do see MG ammo crates as well as mine / grenade crates on the rear and fenders of Pz III & IV .   Remember those fenders were very narrow so a large box wouldn't fit and you really didn't want to pile stuff up on the engine deck as it covered the engine fans and also  kept the gun from targeting 360 degrees . There's an aftermarket niche for some resin company ,- 1/56 scale ammo boxes , there's tons out there in 1/35 and a few in 1/48 , I think we deserve some too   ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:13:18 am by ripley »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2016, 08:38:49 am »
Ripley - agreed on the crates, although I think 13 is about right for a 90mm ammo crate.  17 and 18 seem to be the same as items in the German set, and are oversized.  I suggested British metal ammo boxes when this set was being designed.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2016, 10:03:33 am »
Thanks for the 'a bit too late' feedback.  We will keep that in mind with the next set release.

In the meantime, you can all post at least a picture of the crates or boxes you wanted so that we can keep them for future references if possible.
Thanks again!

;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2016, 04:15:19 pm »
These ammo boxes are used at IWM Duxford to mark the edge of paths.

Unfortunately I forgot to put any scale markers in the picture.

Pinky identified the box the last time I posted it, I will find the post.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:17:41 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Yaquir

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2016, 04:45:32 pm »
Awesome!

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog: