Author Topic: M32B1  (Read 10646 times)

petejones

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: M32B1
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 06:05:34 am »
Unfortunately it seems to be a trend with manufacturers these days to expect to produce a model and sell the entire batch within a short timeframe, rather than just release it and make it available for a long duration. It happens with model railways. A thousand of any model will sell eventually, even (or more likely) the most obscure ones.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 08:35:24 am »
Yeah people expecting a full plastic kit for a low selling item are being quite silly to be honest and making unrealistic uneducated expectations for themselves.

I think everyone understands the basic economics - this has been discussed many times.  There is an argument that a plastic recovery vehicle would sell just as well as some of the other subjects which are being done in plastic.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 04:54:53 pm »
@PeteJones, it is a consequence of modern manufacturing and the economic situation.

Rapid mass production allows you to make a batch fast,

Banks (and shareholders) do not see stock in warehouses as assets.

There are not lots of local shops buying a couple of boxes for stock (see above).

Manufacturers try to make as much as they will sell, and by limiting the quantity hope you will buy it on release and not wait until next year.

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 06:22:53 pm »
I think everyone understands the basic economics - this has been discussed many times.  There is an argument that a plastic recovery vehicle would sell just as well as some of the other subjects which are being done in plastic.
I have my doubts of that.
I'd happily buy 3 Shermans,  3 T-34, 3 Panzers etc etc. And I think most people I've known buy in sets of 2-4 tanks.
I'd probably buy 1 recovery tank for each major nation. And really don't see many others buying more.

Heck if it's for Bolt action I see nobody buying any. Player attitudes are more along the lines of 'minmaxing' and squeezing efficiency out of points. Not narrative gaming. You play to win or go home.

(Which is why I'm super glad I don't play)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:10:25 am by jamesvalentine »

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 11:44:34 pm »
To follow-up on JamesV's post ... I have no need for a recovery vehicle.  I am a gamer, not a diorama builder. I need 3 half-tracks, or 3 trucks, or 3 tanks, or 3 armored cars. I need 0 recovery vehicles.

Would having one make for an interesting scenario? One time?  Yeah, sure. But there will always be other vehicles way higher on my to-buy list, I will never get a recovery vehicle. My hobby time is limited, and spendingt he money to get one, then the time to assemble and paint, and then the time to craft a unique scenario where one is needed ... is all time and money better spent on other things.

I am super happy Rubicon is coming out with one. Love to see the diversity. Means there is hope for some of the lesser-known vehicles to one day see the light of day in this scale. But I can easily see why they would not pursue the full kit in plastic.