Author Topic: Focusing on the more useful kits – wake up and smell the molded plastic!  (Read 29510 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I was just talking to my friend (with Skype) about the news of Rubicon Models' announcement of the new American 37mm AT-Gun. For those collecting American forces, we are getting close to having a good selection of basic "Bread and Butter" items in plastic.

Bread and Butter American vehicles and equipment kits that are still needed in plastic:
Plastic AT-Guns  - these would be popular. The future 37mm, is a good start.
M3 Medium (Lee) – Better if a Lee & Grant combo kit!

I would still like to see a 75mm GMC M3 conversion kit, but I have to agree with my friend in that while a good addition for gamers/modellers, we do not consider this a "Bread and Butter" item.

As for German vehicles and equipment, we have a bit of a disagreement as to what makes a good "Bread and Butter" item. However, we both fully agree with the following items:

Bread and Butter German vehicles and equipment kits that are still needed in plastic:
SdKfz 10 half-track - the SdKfz 10/4 would be a good conversion kit for the base kit.
Panzer II Ausf A/B/C
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 12:30:13 pm by Tracks »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Focusing on the more useful kits – wake up and smell the molded plastic!
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 08:54:19 am »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2019, 11:01:42 am »
Always nice to see items on the " wish list " making it into production . 

nheather

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2019, 04:46:54 am »
100% agree.

Many gamers want 1/56 (28mm) models for skirmish games like Bolt Action and Chain of Command, where it is important to have matched armies.

So for example, I have decided on early war Russian campaign and would like a small number of German and Russian vehicles for the opposing armies.  So let’s have a look

Well there is the marvellous T-26, great start.  Now for a German tank  of similar capability that can go up against it.  Let’s see what we have - err, absolutely nothing.

Maybe I should look at armoured cars.  Well Rubicon have an excellent Sdkfz 222, now for some Russian opposition - let’s see what we have - err, absolutely nothing.

So what I’d really appreciate a range of models that allow me to equip opposing armies in a given theatre.

Cheers,

Nigel

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2019, 06:39:00 am »
If you are looking for Early War Russian Front kit, to equip both sides, then so far from Rubicon you have:

Russian:
Multiple versions of the T-26 light tank. Of the 21K tanks Russia had in June 1941, over half were T-26
T-34/76 medium tank. Not many were present in June 1941 but they were there, and became more and more present as time went on.
BA-3/BA-6 and BA-10 Armored Cars. This represents about 3,900 of the armored cars available to Russia in June 1941.  There were just over 6,100 armored cars when Barbarossa began, so this is the lion's share of any ACs Russia had.
GAZ-AA/AAA Trucks.  Main transportation vehicle.

SU-85 is available from RM, and it came into service in 1942
SU-122 is available from RM, and it came into service in 1942 as well.

German:
Pz IV D/E Medium tank.
Kubelwagon. Main jeep.
Opal Blitz Trucks. Main transportation vehicle.
SdKfz 7 Halftrack. Main heavy transportation vehicle.
SdKfz 251/C and 251/1 D Halftrack. Main armored transportation vehicle.

Pz IV F2/J medium tank. Came into service in 1942.

And we have Pz IIIs in the pipeline somewhere. Not much fighting armor, and transportation heavy when it comes to the German side of things. I do wish we had a plastic Pz II (for example), and the SdKfz 222 seems to have dropped from their web site.

But not a bad assortment for Early War Russian Front.

Edit: Removed KV-1/KV-2 from the list (not Rubicon kits)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 12:43:06 am by EarlyWarGamer »

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2019, 11:33:02 am »
A Panzer II could lead into Marder II which call for a Soviet 76mm AT gun/Towed Artillery since the same gun was used for both.
T-60/T-70 could lead to the popular SU-76.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2019, 08:06:41 pm »
Just a small correction to EWG's list , the KV kit is Italeri / Warlord not Rubicon .

nheather

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2019, 11:55:28 pm »
If you are looking for Early War Russian Front kit, to equip both sides, then so far from Rubicon you have:

Russian:
Multiple versions of the T-26 light tank. Of the 21K tanks Russia had in June 1941, over half were T-26
T-34/76 medium tank. Not many were present in June 1941 but they were there, and became more and more present as time went on.
KV-1 and KV-2 Heavy Tanks. Not many were present at the start, but they were there from day one.
BA-3/BA-6 and BA-10 Armored Cars. This represents about 3,900 of the armored cars available to Russia in June 1941.  There were just over 6,100 armored cars when Barbarossa began, so this is the lion's share of any ACs Russia had.
GAZ-AA/AAA Trucks.  Main transportation vehicle.

SU-85 is available from RM, and it came into service in 1942
SU-122 is available from RM, and it came into service in 1942 as well.

German:
Pz IV D/E Medium tank.
Kubelwagon. Main jeep.
Opal Blitz Trucks. Main transportation vehicle.
SdKfz 7 Halftrack. Main heavy transportation vehicle.
SdKfz 251/C and 251/1 D Halftrack. Main armored transportation vehicle.

Pz IV F2/J medium tank. Came into service in 1942.

And we have Pz IIIs in the pipeline somewhere. Not much fighting armor, and transportation heavy when it comes to the German side of things. I do wish we had a plastic Pz II (for example), and the SdKfz 222 seems to have dropped from their web site.

But not a bad assortment for Early War Russian Front.

Thanks, I should also have said that I don’t want AFVs to be a big feature so my main interest is the smaller tanks, so the T-26 ticks the box absolutely.

Also I’m not to bothered by troop transports as yet.  Can’t see the KV-1 and KV-2 though I wouldn’t be interested in those as they are too big.  Can’t see any of the Russian armoured cars that you are referring to.

Can’t see a Pz IV D/E either, though it would be ruled out by my ‘only small tank’ rule.  An early Pz III
would be good, as you say they are in the pipeline somewhere.  And Pz II and Pz I or the Czech stuff would be interesting but no sign of them either.

Of course there is the Warlord Games stuff, but I prefer plastic to resin - but they are bringing out more Italeri stuff.  I ended up buying a Warlord Pz 38(t) to face up against my T-26, it is very nice but would have preferred a Pz II.

The point is, I prefer the Rubicon models but the strange release order often means that there are no suitable pairings so I have to go elsewhere.

Cheers,

Nigel

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2019, 02:50:16 am »
The Russian armored cars are shown  in the General Discussions thread ( Q3 /19) .,IRC the decals are finalized and the instructions are almost done , so release should be soon....

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2019, 06:23:54 pm »
Because of this...

I just had to update the list at the start of this thread.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Because of this...

I just had to update the list at the start of this thread.

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Cadet
    • View Profile
I've just finished building a Rubicon Flak 88 37 and a PAK 40, so I'm in the mood to come here and join this wish-listing area.

If we're talking about useful kits, we have to be talking about kits that of course have a broad appeal across different factions even. So for me, at the top of the list, is:

"Universal" Kits:

The M5 Halftrack:

What makes this one work? Well, to be short, this is the Halftrack that was utilized by almost every allied country of World War II. Canada, France (Free French), Britain, and the Soviet Union all received this Half-Track as an export model from the United States. If the sprus came with British/Soviet crews, you'd cover x3 of the x4 nations. This kit would be great for collectors and for gamers. Right now the only kit on the market at 28mm scale is the Warlord Resin one.

The M3 Scout Car (crew)

If I'm not mistaken this rendition only comes with an American crew. Again, Britain and the USSR got these IIRC, if there were alternative crews, that'd be a big boon.

The Universal Carrier: Cheap little transport, Commonwealth and Soviets used them.

The Germans:

Right now there is a fantastic selection of German units and weapons already. They had such a huge range, that you'll never fully cover them (lol), but if we were to see a few outliers, I'd say the current ones are...

Field Guns: Howitzers. Both the LEFH and SFH would be great additions to the range, both for players and for collectors.

Mortar Teams: We've got the MG teams and AA guns, why not have Mortar crews?

The Red Army:

Mother Russia could use some Love. There are some holes in the lineup, from Rubicon (and everyone else), so if we're talking practical choices?

Field Guns and Anti-Tank Guns: The 7.6cm field gun, the 122mm howitzer, the 152mm howitzer, hell, even the 203mm Stalin's Sledgehammer (though this one is definitely not practical). Field guns in general are desired by gamers, and offer interesting choices for modelers. The 100mm Anti-tank gun, and even the 85mm anti-air gun, would be welcome additions as well. Though if we're talking about what is most likely to sell, ergo be the most practica: The Howitzers are the top of the list.

Heavy Tanks: The KV-1, KV-2, and IS-2 come to the top of the list, without a doubt.

The Steel Wolves: T-70's and T-60's, though I'd not put these at the top of a practical list, as they're not quite as well known, and I'm not sure of the appeal to the broader audience.

The United States:

Broadly well served, and they have the upcoming Pershing, so for the US, they'll fall into a familiar mold:

Field Guns: Howitzers and AT guns. I see the Quad-50 anti-aircraft guns are coming, though apparently these are resin, which makes me very sad, lol.

The United Kingdom:

They have a ton of stuff coming it seems. Do they have the Churchill coming as well? If so this list is almost over. Even their field guns are on the way, with a variant of the 17 pounder and the 25 pounder in plastic. Perhaps the Bofers AA gun, or some other variants, but by and large, unless someone wants to find something more obscure, I think Britain's being pretty well served (barring the M5 and Universal Carriers).

If we're looking at early war, perhaps the Valentine, or Matilda?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:

thunderplunk

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Very much agreed with The_Big_Red_Bear's thoughts above. Plastic artillery in particular is a niche crying out to be filled, and I've been very happy with the Pak 40 from Rubicon. Hopefully the planned Allied AT guns and 25-pounder are evidence of an expansion in this field. I'd especially like to see the Soviet guns suggested, since many of them are impossible to find in any material at this scale.