Author Topic: The visual appeal of 1:56 (28mm) scale figures.  (Read 24142 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
The visual appeal of 1:56 (28mm) scale figures.
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:51:38 am »
Looks are in the eye of the beholder. That being said, Rubicon Models is trying to please both modellers and gamers alike, but the simple fact is that 1:56 (28mm) scale is going to be predominately a gaming scale. As a result, Rubicon Models should keep this in mind. I strongly believe that if their figures were closer in appearance (look and style) to Perry Miniatures, this would be better for all at this scale.

Plastic model companies usually make figures with more anatomically correct proportions while wargame companies almost always make figures that tend to have oversized heads, hands, weapons, and other features because sculptors like to put emphasis on those parts of the wargame figure. Also, in the case of weapons and other features, added strength and durability for use on the gaming table.

When it comes to their figures, Rubicon Models is trying to be too anatomically correct. Actually, you would think that this is a good thing, but I wished they were closer in look and style to the Perry Miniatures. Perry Miniatures are for gaming, and as a result the Perry brothers mix in a good blend of anatomically correctness with some exaggerated detail and proportions that make them look good on the gaming table and/or dioramas. Used for gaming or modelling, Perry figures just work. They do a far better job at this than most other companies including Warlord Games, whose figures tend to be very much "heroic" – very much over exaggerated proportions for their scale.

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: The visual appeal of 1:56 (28mm) scale figures.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 04:58:55 pm »
Tracks, I agree with all that. Rubicon's crew figures definitely have a mini-Tamiya design vibe to them. They look to be aimed more at modellers than wargamers.
I'm a wargamer and figure modeller / painter, not a scale model AFV nut. So for me, the figures are just as important as the vehicles and guns. I adore Rubicon. I love how they do business, the quality of their kits and everything about them. The only thing I have continuing reservations about is their human figures. The CAD precision that serves RM so well in the design and production of hard-edged vehicle and artillery models, just doesn't seem to work so well for the soft, organic forms of the human body and clothing. To be fair, I'm only talking about the plastic crew figures, as I haven't bought any of the pewter infantry miniatures.
But as far as the crew figures go, posing invariably looks stiff and odd; the detail on faces, fingers etc is too soft; clothing - especially sleeves - far too baggy with an overdose of folds and creases; and helmet and hat shapes are too often slightly wrong. I would say, in the spirit of constructive criticism, that if there's one area where RM could and should raise their game, it's in the modelling of 1/56 scale soldiers. I'm sure they will.

Although the size and stature is pretty close to the Perry 1/56 WW2 figures, the RM plastic crew figures don't tie in stylistically - which is why I generally kitbash my plastic crew figures with Perry heads, arms and weapons / equipment onto the Rubicon bodies.

To be fair, I think Rubicon's figures are a closer match to Michael Perry's WW2 figures than to the outsized, cartoony Warlord figures, which are much closer to 'traditional' wargames munchkins with oversized heads, hands and weapons. The Perry figures, as you say, are a much more successful compromise between wargames style and realistic human dimensions and poses.

I guess the main difficulty with aligning to the Perry range, is that with the exception of the recently released US plastic set, which is fairly generic for WW2, the rest of the Perry range is only concerned with the Western Desert and Italy / Crete / the Med, which is something of a minority interest in the WW2 wargaming sphere. Whereas Rubicon's range covers the much larger and, erm.. popular theatres of the Eastern Front and Western Europe from early war, through D-Day to the Ardennes and beyond. Until such time as the Perrys produce infantry sets for the Soviets and European theatre British/Commonwealth and German, I guess most people will still reach for Warlord plastics, or metals from Artizan, Crusader and the like. Which are way too big and chunky to sit comfortably with 'true 1/56 scale' AFVs, softskins and guns from Rubicon.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 07:48:47 pm »
Although the size and stature is pretty close to the Perry 1/56 WW2 figures, the RM plastic crew figures don't tie in stylistically - which is why I generally kitbash my plastic crew figures with Perry heads, arms and weapons / equipment onto the Rubicon bodies.

Can you please share some pictures?

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 11:14:02 pm »

Can you please share some pictures?

Here are a few...

Rubicon bodies with Perry heads and / or headgear, and / or arms, weapons and accoutrements.

It just makes them fit in visually a lot better with the Perry infantry...

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 05:32:57 am »
Inspiration for crewing the Kettenkrad and the Kubelwagen. Thanks.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 10:53:29 am »
I really love the way you do figures, Captain Blood.

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 04:47:02 pm »
Thanks  :)
I enjoy making and painting characters.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 10:24:32 pm »
Fantastic job  on the figures Captain .

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 03:31:41 pm »
Captain Blood, thanks for the pictures! But darn you for that because now I want to take apart my RM German motorcycles with sidecar and modify all the figures... grumble, grumble.

Not only do they fit in better, but also look so much better as is without having to fit in.

I sure hope RM see these.

Old Guard

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 08:34:05 pm »
Very nice! I have been doing likewise with some of the Rubicon figures ( vehicle crews predominantly) and  selected Warlord heads- it certainly doesn't work with all, the scale creep is too great but where it does it certainly helps to blend the war gaming figures with the vehicles. It is a dilemma and as stated beauty in the eye of the beholder, Absolutely love the Rubicon vehicles and unashamedly I will always go Rubicon where there is a choice between them and ANY other manufacturer Resin or plastic even to the point of replacing vehicles I already have when a new Rubicon becomes available- so subtle hint- keep churning them out!  . But, figure wise (despite the horror of the plastic US airborne - someone really crapped the bed with those! and the odd issue about weapon options) I'm a Warlord boy. I just find that they convert the most easily and paint up better than anything else on the market. again though....personal choice, each to their own.

kettenkrad looks really good!

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 09:20:00 am »
I'm not a big fan of mixing metal and/or resin heads with plastic bodies, but has anyone tried using other 28mm heads from different companies? Even though some of these 28mm heads are the same size as the heroic Warlord heads, there might be some that are smaller.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 10:03:25 am by Tracks »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 11:58:55 pm »
In the real world , people do have different size heads . I try to keep the helmets all the same size as that's what stands out ( to me ) on most figures . Although some ( USA , Germany ) did have 3 or 4 sizes of helmet with  adjustable liners . in 28mm the difference is  , IMO , minimal . And to make things difficult some companies ( Warlord for one ) have different sized heads in their blister packs , so buyer be ware . I'm told its all down to who sculpted the original head , same as some metal ( and early plastics ) are different in size than newer sets . 

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 01:36:28 am »
I rather like the rubicon scale and less heroic scale
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 02:05:32 am »
While I do like the size / scale of Rubicon's figures , I've only got about 25 - 30 Rubicon figures ( tank / vehicle crews ) , while I must have 250 plus Bolt Action plastics . Now if Rubicon had produced their figures ( platoon size boxes of Infantry ) and vehicles  first , I never would have got any other brand . As it is , I buy and build what ever catches my interest and what's in stock  at the LHS and stores in Calgary and Edmonton ( an hours drive !! , south or north ) .

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 11:48:29 pm »
This is why I think the WW2 plastics from Perry Miniatures are a good balance.