Author Topic: British/Commonwealth m10 expansion.  (Read 2810 times)

303in204

• Cadet
    • View Profile
British/Commonwealth m10 expansion.
« on: June 28, 2019, 03:43:39 pm »
A kit including parts C06, C05, B14, and C12 would allow British players to field their M10 hulls as either 76m armed or 17pdr armed.  This could even be made in resin.  Parts CO6 and CO5 can be push-moulded easily enough, B14 wouldn't be hard to fabricate either, but I don't look forward to duplicating C12 given it's role in the structural integrity of the turret.   Had these parts included a multi pose crew (even your commonwealth tank crew set) I would have gladly paid $20 per kit for each expansion kit for either of the two m10/m36 kits I currently have (and no, your pewter crew figures don't count)

Instead, I've been sitting on two kits unbuilt for 2+ years because I have no crew figures and the prospect of filling my parts bin with nearly two entire turrets worth of useless bits disgusts me.

Given that we have seen expansion kits to add box bodies to not one but two seperate transports, and another to add a tarp and mortar to a halftrack, not to mention numerous plastic moulds that feature nothing more  than two high ranking officers/characters, the production of such a kit to fully utilize all elements of the excellent (if incomplete) m10/m36 kit seems far from unreasonable.

Please accept my apologies in advance, I began writing this post quite sober, but didn't have a chance to finish it until later on when I was quite drunk, never the less, I stand by my words. The only reason I can think of to explain this neglect of the m10/m36 kit would be poor initial sales, a depressing thought indeed.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: British/Commonwealth m10 expansion.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 04:55:13 pm »
Have you seen pack 283009 British Tank Destroyer Crew?

Scroll down http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=799.0
For the instructions.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 08:33:52 pm »
Rubicon has thought a lot about kit design and variants in the 3 years since the M-10 came out . That's why we get the option  of 3 or 4 variants in most kits  , hell the T-26 kit gives you the option of building one of 10 ! And yes it sucks there's no crew , but there is a blister pack crew available now . When their 251 kit  came out in 2015 it no crew figures ,and this was commented on , Rubicon listened , and  when the 250 half track  came out in 2016 , it had a driver and gunner figures . Later the half track add on sets gave us the option of building more niche variants and they come with crew figures . If you go back and look over the posts for the last few years , you will see Rubicon are adapting their kit design  based on feed back from US . Due to comments / feedback they have completely retooled their original Sherman kit and released most of the Sherman family . As well , again due to feed back  the old Panzer III & IV kits  have be retired and all new state of the art kits are in production . Hopefully there will be enough interest in some of Rubicon's early releases that they go back and tweak or upgrade the kits . If it's not profitable for them to do so  we'll just have to make do I guess . And yes I do agree that Rubicon's plastic is a PIA compared to most kits out there( Warlord's is real easy to cut for kit bashing ) . After much messing around I've  found that Tamiya Ultra Thin cement works the best for  their plastic

303in204

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 07:15:10 am »
Have you seen pack 283009 British Tank Destroyer Crew?

I have, and as I mentioned in the OP, I don't think they warrant consideration. When I saw this:

These figures are not simply seated side-by-side like some school kids on a field trip,

In reference to their German halftrack passenger figures (which look great) I couldn't help but think that's exactly how I would describe Rubicons British tank destroyer crew.  3 identically posed crews on the table or in the display cabinet also don't work for me. I'll likely end up using a mix of the warlord m10 crew, and Rubicon's plastic tank crew.

I should have posted this 2 years ago, but I never expected Rubicon's solution to their crewless open topped m10 would miss the mark so badly.   

Also given some of the ultra niche plastic and/or resin blisters and expansions we've seen (Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) and the character sprues come to mind) I can't believe they would ignore a chance to upsell their m10 kit and give gamers access to multiple turrets and a real crew set.