Author Topic: Palm Trees  (Read 4168 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Palm Trees
« on: May 24, 2019, 05:37:04 am »
A slightly different wish, 1/56 to 1/48 scale palm trees.

I do not know much about them, but varieties would be useful for North Africa, Italy and of course the Far East.

Egyptian Palm Trees.

Indian Ocean.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 06:02:16 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Palm Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 11:15:01 am »
Because they are so easy to make and available from multiple sources - even including cake shops - I'm worried that this might not be worth it for RM to use their time and funds on such a project.

They (Rubicon Models) have released telephone poles and fences, and I wonder how well they are selling compared to some of their other kits like the Pak40 and kubelwagen?

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 02:35:14 pm »
I sell lots of fences and other scenery bits to be fair.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 04:58:02 pm »
Tracks makes a good point, but my experience of availability is slightly different.

The 4D model shop in Leman street only offers three types.
http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Landscaping/Palm-Trees?orderby=1

Pegasus does two sets of 1/72 palm trees and a set of banana trees.

In the way back when there was an article in Continental Modeller (Slartibartfast's magazine of choice) about modelling palm trees, and the writer considered the Great Womble's third/fourth edition alien trees as a possibility.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 07:51:20 pm »
There's lots listed on Ebay  . You can get a 100 plastic trees , from 2 inches to 6 inches in height  for about $10 US . A little paint , a wash , and they look passible on a game table . To do a Far East land battle right , you need to pretty much cover your table in jungle . And while scale model palms look awesome , to cost to cover the same area of a bag of cheap plastics would be out the reach of most modelers IMO . IRC Pegasus has 5 trees in a box for $16 ? I would rather spend what little hobby money I have on vehicle kits and  go cheap on scenery , which I would paint , kit bash and detail to my own standard . Now if I was building a diorama , then yes I would use scale tree kits , but I would probably only need a couple of boxes , that won't break the bank

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 03:46:36 pm »
Quote from: ripley
I would rather spend what little hobby money I have on vehicle kits and  go cheap on scenery

ripley is not alone here, and I would have to say that the bulk of the gaming community has this philosophy.

But getting back to palm trees, the ones I picked up from a thrift shop a long time ago were marked "Small" and "Large" (approximately 3.5" and 5" in height). For about $2 and $3, you get a bag of palm trees. I can't remember how many you get per bag, but it was either five or six trees. The palm trees are made from two colors of plastic (trunk = brown, palms = green), and with a little touching up can be made to look more than presentable for any miniature gaming table.

If none can be found in your area, there are several YouTube vids that show how to make them.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 04:59:02 pm »
 Maybe the studio can get Rico Chia to do a tutorial.
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=700.0