Author Topic: Turret attachment scale model vs. gamer approach  (Read 4848 times)

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Turret attachment scale model vs. gamer approach
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:49:44 pm »
Firstly, have your Panther G & it's a great kit (my only wish is for a set of steel resilient wheels for the very late models) my question is to whether the standard 'bayonet' type method for attaching the turret to the hull is the best way to go for a gaming model.
 Gamers, unlike scale modellers, tend to rotate the turrets on their vehicles - in fact most of the WWII game systems I've seen (Bolt Action, Secrets of the Third Reich etc) have turret rotation & armour facings as part of their mechanic - & herein lies the problem. The standard scale model type attachment tends towards the snug - particularly after some paint is applied. This can easily result in damage to your meticulously applied paintjob or even a turret that is impossible to rotate.
 I would suggest that you consider the method by which resin vehicle manufacturers fit their turrets - an indent in the hull with a corresponding large diameter peg on the turret base - both of which could have a small recess suitable for a magnet (as present in 15mm Flames of War tanks - for subsequent releases.
 Looking forward to more of your excellent kits, (particularly the 251 & Stuka Zu Fuss variants) keep up the good work!

tinfish

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Turret attachment scale model vs. gamer approach
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:49:16 am »
I'd agree with this, rotating the turret only to have it pop off is a bit odd at times :) Although magnets can require the strength of Hercules to move sometimes.
I'm more concerned about plastic Ariel's on a gaming piece, I find they don't last long. I wonder if a viable (not metal) solution would be possible.

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:39:22 pm »
Generally, the ariels that come with kits intended for gaming tend to be somewhat over thickness to compensate for handling, but even then can be quite fragile. Guitar (electric - preferably stainless steel) strings are a good solution to this, coming in more believable scale diameters & most music shops will sell singles, (I'd recommend an 11 gauge  - but thinner is fine) plus they have the benefit of being flexible so the tied-back ariel look is possible, hope this helps.

Garga

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:25:14 pm »
Very good point ballardian

I fully subscribe!

For the ariels just having the base with pre-drilled hole would be much better than the short and straight included... But this is not a difficult variation to do...

Morsleib

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 01:24:56 am »
Broom bristles are a viable alternative and have the advantage of being flexible.. Just don't mention why you are suddenly so keen to do the sweeping.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 08:56:30 am »
I use fiber optic cable as antenna . It paints up nice with both acrylic and enamel paint and takes a fair bit of abuse when I'm playing  with my tanks  :)