Author Topic: Focusing on the more useful kits – wake up and smell the molded plastic!  (Read 29538 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Yes it would be good to get more field & AT guns . I really like the 28mm PSC Russian AT gun kit , and  I'm wondering why they haven't up scaled any of their other kits ? I've built a few of the 20mm kits for a buddy and they're great . Also the Zvedza 1/72 kits are very nice , lots of detail for such small and relatively inexpensive , again why haven't they up scaled to 28mm ? 

thunderplunk

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Yeah, with how common a ZiS-3 is in Soviet Bolt Action armies, a plastic version in 28mm would seem to be a pretty reliable seller. I've liked the PSC AT guns too – they're a little low on detail in some parts, but honestly no worse than I'd expect the Warlord metal kit is, and likely much easier to assemble.

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Yep! I am actually pretty excited for the Resin 128mm gun that the Germans are getting too, though I'm not quite sure that I'll be getting it, it looks pretty incredible. I've already got x2 Flak 88's and x2 Pak 43's, so I have a great love for fixed artillery guns to begin with. Pragmatic in game, though I'd not say the really light AT variants are practical as they have very limited use, which is why I didn't grab the PSC Soviet AT gun set. I might one day, but... they're door-knockers. Firing that at something even like a Panzer 4 isn't gonna yield good results I think, lol.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
The great thing about plastic kits is that you can add what's lacking and with a little thought and modelling know how , can remove what's incorrect . Aside from no sights  , some breach details , no stowage boxes on the rear of the shield ,   cleaning rods , and those fiddley bits on the trail legs that always get broken ,  the PSC 45mm guns are pretty good . If you use them with the crew , most of the most of the missing bits of gun carriage can't be seen anyway . I added most of the missing parts to the guns I built with out crew . The 76mm Infantry gun version needs to most work because the gun shield is different , but there are ways to fudge that and make it look the part .
Good reference books are your friend , this one by Wings & Wheels Publications is excellent , covering both versions of the Russian 45mm , the 76mm Infantry gun , the 57mm ZIS-2 and 76mm ZIS-3

They also have a couple of other books covering both Russian & German Field Artillery , as well as lots of tank and soft skin vehicle books .

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Yeah, with how common a ZiS-3 is in Soviet Bolt Action armies, a plastic version in 28mm would seem to be a pretty reliable seller. I've liked the PSC AT guns too – they're a little low on detail in some parts, but honestly no worse than I'd expect the Warlord metal kit is, and likely much easier to assemble.

@thunderplunk: I can't agree with you more. I'm just waiting for someone to make a good plastic ZiS-3 AT-Gun so I can replace all my metal ones.

I also have the PSC AT guns, and I like them over the metal AT guns. Both in detail and for other reasons. In fact, I picked up two boxes even though I only needed one to replace the metal ones I had.

@The_Big_Red_Bear: I know what you mean about the big guns. I have both the Rubicon Models 88 kit and the Italeri 88 kit. The only time I have used one of mine in a game was for an objective, so if did not take part in the game - other than just being an objective marker. On the other hand, my PaK36s, PaK38s, and Pak40s get used frequently when needed. All of mine are Rubicon Models now.

@ripley: Thanks for the book suggestion. even though I already have "Soviet Field Artillery in World War II: Including Use by the German Wehrmacht" by Michael Foedrowitz (Schiffer book), I will have to look into adding your recommendation because I know the WWP books are pretty good, and can be useful at times.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Because of this...

The list at the start of this thread is getting an extra bonus because Rubicon Models made some fantastic changes to their upcoming Panzer II kit so that the kit will have the option to be built with an angled or a rounded front hull for the Ausf.A/B/C.

Even better because with the Panzer II Ausf.F option, the more experienced model makers might be able to take a RM Panzer II kit plus a RM PaK40 kit plus some Evergreen plastic, and maybe easily scratch build an SdKfz.131 Marder II (not to be confused with the SdKfz 132 Marder II).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
I don't know it would be easy to kit bash a Marder II , but it would be a lot of fun trying . Actually I'm hoping Rubicon rethink how they layout their sprues , right now it's all willy nilly with various parts for turret , hull and wheels together on one sprue . I think all lower hull parts ( track , sprockets , wheels ) should be on one sprue , upper hull , tools , stowage , on the 2nd sprue , and then the third , depending on the size of the vehicle , turret and crew parts . Then if they decide to release , for example  a Marder II , they already have the lower hull sprue sorted.  If the panzer IV was designed this way , you would only need to design upper hulls and associated bits to make a Stug IV , Jdg Panzer IV , Brumbar , etc , as the lower hull and wheel sets would be a common sprue .The Warlord 38(t) and Marder III kits I just built were designed like that and  Dragon has used this approach for years in 1/35 scale . What do you guys think ?

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Good suggestions ripley, but Rubicon Models expressed an interest in wanting to keep this a two sprue kit. Things might change, so who knows until the kit is in the final stages.

If the cost for making each sprue wasn't so high, I think Rubicon Models would focus more on future parts usage and less on just present usage to keep the sprue count down. I am no expert (far from it), but I do know that it's a careful balance between sprue count (especially cost) and kit diversity and expandability. That is if the latter is even a priority. Rubicon Models is always expressing that they are learning something new with each new project.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
It's true that in this scale it might not work for smaller vehicles . The 38(t) kit has a Rubicon sized sprue for the track & lower body , but the upper hull , turret & crew sprue was about the size of a plastic weapons sprue from Warlord .  I'm just  thinking it would have worked with the vehicles based on a late G-H panzer IV hull , and the M3 - M4 ( not A4 ) & Priest , all based on the same hull with variations in wheel design .

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Focusing on the more useful kits – wake up and smell the molded plastic!
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2020, 12:54:11 pm »
I just had to update the lists (see first page of this thread).
The good news for us gamers (and modellers) is that soon the "Focusing on the more useful kits" lists will get much shorter!  :)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2021, 12:14:30 pm »
Because of this...

I had to update the list at the very start of this thread.
This might be the last update.  :-X

Some of us are still hoping for:
M3 Medium (Lee) – best if it can be a Lee & Grant kit. Two birds with one stone.
57mm Gun M1 / QF 6-pounder (American/British) AT-Gun – best if it can be a combo kit. Two birds with one stone. Similar to what RM did with their Jeep kit.
Also some Soviet AT-Guns and an SU-76 wouldn't be a bad addition as well.

johan

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2021, 02:30:15 pm »
Tracks, the 57mm/6pdr gun is also in the pipeline.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2021, 10:06:21 am »
Tracks, the 57mm/6pdr gun is also in the pipeline.

Really? Don't tease my friend  :)

That's great to hear, and the good thing about this AT-Gun is that it can probably be marketed as an American or British AT-Gun because the American 57mm gun M1 was a very close copy of the British QF 6-Pdr. I'm sure Rubicon Models can easily take advantage of this by making the kit with the option to assemble either the British QF 6-Pdr or the American 57mm gun M1. Also, maybe with extra bonus bits to make the American Paratrooper version of the 57mm gun M1. This would make it very marketable. Lots of potential for this little kit.

As for the crew, Rubicon Models can do the same thing that they did with their Jeep kits. That is, have a different sprue for the crew.

johan

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2021, 02:52:26 pm »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2021, 09:05:41 am »
I wonder if RM will make an American version (The 57mm M1) with crew.
I hope they don't miss out on that this AT-Gun can probably be marketed as an American or British AT-Gun