Rubicon Models > General Discussions

British Shermans

<< < (2/6) > >>

ultravanillasmurf:
On the British use of pintle mount machine guns, I have seen reference to them being ordered to be removed, because of complaints from pilots that they were being engaged by friendly tanks[looking for reference]. With the Luftwaffe being busy elsewhere it was thought that loss of AA capabilities was better than potential friendly AA fire incidents (which I think is included in the Bolt Action rules).

I have seen no mention of supporting British infantry making use of tank pintle mount weapons - though the recent Osprey Elite (209) Victory NW Europe book does mention their use by US infantry.

I have still to add the mount from the Allied Stowage set to my M5A1, after removing the gun itself (from a photograph in the British Tanks in Normandy book - no pintle mounts elsewhere).

ultravanillasmurf:
On the track links, I remember reading that two three link racks were part of the set up for D-Day tanks, again I will need to find the reference.

A three link rack in the next stowage set would be nice. I covered the mess I made with other stowage.

ultravanillasmurf:

--- Quote from: Pinky on February 01, 2018, 10:11:02 pm ---Appliqué armour was a feature of later Sherman IIIs.  Maybe Rubicon were looking at earlier types in use in the Mediterranean, before appliqué armour was introduced..  I'm not sure about the comment about "large hatch" M4s; aside from 105mm variants, late M4s were the composite or "hybrid" version, which did have appliqué armour.

--- End quote ---
Maybe they mean large hatch M4A2s rather than later small hatch M4A2s.

A quick look through three books (Comrade Emcha, British Tanks in Normandy and the Dennis Oliver Sherman Tanks) shows most small hatch/75mm Sherman III tanks have obvious appliqué and Comrade Emcha shows large hatch/76mm without obvious appliqué.

Swamprat33:
Thar reasoning by Rubicon seems odd anyway as you get both hulls in the kit.
Anyway, not really an issue as it only takes 10 mins to measure, cut and glue on anyway.

Cheers
Tim

ripley:
The Concord book British Sherman Tanks shows no applique plates on Sherman III  in Italy . Hm , there must be a date as to when it became an official add on to the hull . I have seen some pictures of depot added plates of 3 or 4 small pieces instead of the normal production  one , probably all one offs , with the REME guys using what they had .  And  once the a  the sponson shell racks moved  to under the turret floor ,the so called wet stowage , you didn't see side armor added

T-16 with 50

UC with 50

UC with 30

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version