Author Topic: Epic Hobby Fails  (Read 5340 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Epic Hobby Fails
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:35:34 am »
I'm sure we've all had our moments when things go a little pear shaped in the  build . How about that special moment when you realize that decals on your tank turret aren't a mirror image  , one is off center and not level  ( seems like every 2nd build these days  ::) ) And then there's the , just a little bit more weathering should make this tank look fantastic , instead of a dusty panzer yellow you end up with a nice brown tank . (  :-[ me too ) . But today's epic fail  is my best one yet . Last night  I mixed up some RTV rubber make a master mold to cast some track pieces and a few bits for my Type 97 Japanese tank . Well somewhere along the way I screwed up on the ratio of catalyst to base . This morning , imagine my surprise to find I have a box of pudding  instead of a rubber mold .                                                                                                                                                                              None of the pieces to be cast where damaged , just coated in a thick gooey , sticks to everything coat of liquid rubber  . It took the best part of 4 hours to clean all the parts using turps , dish soap , bathroom cleaner and Goo Gone in various combinations , as well , my room mate's tooth brush was sacrificed to help scrub  the parts ( why would I use mine ? ) .  I had to keep reminding myself that I enjoy this hobby , because for  a while there I didn't  :D , oh well I think I'll try it again tomorrow , give myself a bit of a break and watch some TV tonight  instead . And finish scrubbing the remaining goo of my hobby bench . So , what's your epic fail or hobby disaster ?

Vanilla pudding / RTV mold
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:39:22 am by ripley »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Hobby Fails
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 03:46:19 pm »
I haven't had an epic fail recently, but it still amazes me how, despite decades of building plastic kits, I make dumbarse mistakes when assembling them.  Maybe it's failing eyesight, but I don't think that's the real reason. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:11:53 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 04:10:12 pm »
Did you put back your roommate's toothbrush?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 08:35:41 am »
Of course I put it back  ;D . No , not really , that would probably poison him , and I have no way to dispose of the  body

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 11:28:57 am »
Convert it into terrain?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 10:57:20 pm »
Terrain ? Yea that might work , I would  need a 6 X 3 table and about 100 pounds of paper mache .   :D

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 11:29:57 pm »

Ripley, I had some similar aggro to you, but at the other end of the casting process - I assume that I simply didn't put enough catalyst in (or it was an old batch of PU resin) - the upshot being that I had a large, complex mold full of viscous, stinking goop that also took hours to clean out. There's also the time I re-decorated the spare room giving some paint a vigourous shake - having managed to leave the top off the dropper bottle...

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 09:30:25 am »
I feel your pain , lol  . And  I've done the shake the bottle trick a few times as well , it usually ends up splattering something on the bench that I have just completed in a totally different color   ::) . And then of course there's the - reach over for a new bottle of paint , catch the up right brush standing in the water jar with my sleeve and end up  drenching my work bench . At least the water cleans up better than the Turps did back  in the old enamel paint  era .

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 04:24:54 pm »
Ah, the liquid poly bottle is the way to fail...

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 04:28:37 pm »
Do Not Try This At Home!

Failure to orientate the spray can nozzle correctly.

Luckily my reflexes are better than my ability to operate a spray can, washing Humbrol spray paint from my face was easier than getting it off my contact lenses (or my eyes).