Author Topic: More WW2 AT-Guns in 1/56th scale  (Read 3661 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
More WW2 AT-Guns in 1/56th scale
« on: December 17, 2017, 01:08:12 am »
The Pak 36 was just released by Rubicon, and soon the Pak 38 and Pak 40 will be available. There is even talk and a few teaser 3D drawings of the famous 88mm Flak 36/37 that may (or may not) be released.

But what about other AT-Guns from other countries? Will there be AT-Guns for American, British, French, Italian, Japanese, Soviet Union, and other military forces?

There are lot of AT-Guns that can be recommended, but some possible good choices that come to mind because of good support (lots of other miniatures available), and also they are not available in plastic are the following:

American 37mm gun M3
American 57mm gun M1
American 3-inch gun M5
British QF 2-Pdr
British QF 6-Pdr
British QF 17-Pdr
Soviet 45mm Model 1937
Soviet ZiS-2 (57mm gun)
Soviet ZiS-3 (76.2mm gun)

QF-6pdr + 57mm gun M1:
The good thing about the British QF 6-Pdr is that it can be marketed as an American or British AT-Gun because the 57mm gun M1 was a very close copy of the British QF 6-Pdr. I'm sure Rubicon can catch two fish with only one hook with this kit. By making the kit with the option to assemble either the British QF 6-Pdr and/or the American 57mm gun M1, this would make it very marketable. And maybe the extra bonus bits to make the American Paratrooper version of the 57mm gun M1. Lots of potential for this kit.

Zis-3:
The interesting thing about the ZiS-3 was that the Germans used many captured Russian 76.2mm AT-Guns until the appearance of of the German Pak 40, so this can be marketed as Soviet or German.

Soviet 45mm AT-Guns:
Some of the early Soviet AT-Guns might be easier to make into a kit than having to start from scratch because the Pak 36 was produced under license by the Soviets in 1931, but they later decided to mount a 45mm gun (45mm Model 1937 AT-Gun) in place of the 37mm. Essentially, it is a Pak 36 with a 45mm gun tube. More experienced modelers should be able to convert a Pak 36, but what about crew figures?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: More WW2 AT-Guns in 1/56th scale
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 04:56:01 am »
Though not strictly an anIt tank weapon, I would add the 25 pounder, used as AT in North Africa.

Oh and airborne six pounder is another variant on the six pounder theme.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 06:18:12 am »
Plastic Soldier Company ( PSC ) makes a 28mm set of 45mm Russian anti tank guns . IRC its a scaled up version of their 1/72 kit , but its not too bad . You get 2 guns with 3 barrels each  to make either  a M1937 ( short barrel ) , a M1942 ( long barrel ) 45mm gun or a 76mm M1943 infantry gun . You also get 2 four man gun crews plus some ammo boxes and loose ammo . The crew need some work , I added  new heads from the BA Russians and some personal weapons / pouches . To the guns I added , sights , cleaning rods , tool boxes on the gun shield , stuff you probably wouldn't add if you were an avid gamer . I would give the kit a 7/10 score just because its all we got right now , I got  2 sets

I'm game for whatever artillery pieces come out in plastic . Hopefully after Rubicon deliver on the 88 they will look at other nations guns
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:29:39 am by ripley »

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 12:50:36 pm »
I would add the American Pack 75mm howitzer used by American/British Airborne and Marine forces, the German 7.5cm Light Infantry Howitzer and the Soviet 122mm M1938. 
I would prefer these in plastic over metal or resin plus I believe plastic figures for the crews would be more in scale and less chunky than their metal counter parts.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 04:44:57 pm »
Well if they’re doing an 88 with prime mover, they might as well do a long Tom with an m4 tractor ;)
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 06:37:19 pm »
Interesting follow-ups from some people - Long Toms, Howitzers, and the sort.

From a gaming point of view, a request for more AT-Guns is much more piratical because of usefulness. At 1/56 scale (28mm), most games played are of the skirmish variety like Bolt Action, Chain of Command, Battleground WW2, Operation Squad, and so on, so equipment like the Long Tom or British 25-Pdr rarely if ever get any table-top time - unless it is an objective or something.

I would think it would be more useful if Rubicon Models started to release the more common AT-Guns first like the US 57mm gun M1 or Soviet ZiS-2/3 instead of something like the US Long Tom. Speaking for myself, I would buy multiple 57mm M1 kits, but not a Long Tom kit or 25-Pdr kit. I'm more of a gamer than a modeler, so something like the 57mm M1 would be much more appealing to me than a Long Tom or Howitzer.

Maybe after Rubicon Models has completed a series of good AT-Guns they might want to explore the idea of trying out things like Long Toms and 25-Pdrs.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 06:54:47 pm »
I love autocorrect, I have visions of gun crews in stripey jumpers and tricorn hats...

The 25 pounder is an on table asset in Bolt Action, and an AT gun for North Africa.