Author Topic: Moulds in the Making... 171207  (Read 3535 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Moulds in the Making... 171207
« on: December 07, 2017, 02:03:21 pm »
For those who might want to have a glimpse of how our plastic sprues are made, here are some pictures of our moulds in the making! 

It takes months to get to this stage... after that, more QC work had to be done to make sure the two parts of the mould are matched seamlessly with all the details matched exactly like the original design.  There are no shortcuts to quality mould making, nothing can be rushed!  Therefore, don't ask why a particular product is not released yet!

Guess what this is?

Enjoy!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Moulds in the Making... 171207
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:46:21 pm »
Wow, that's really impressive.  It's so rare to see this side of the process.  Good to see the T-26 is coming along too!

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:45:48 pm »
Ever since I saw this documentary on injection molding, I have been keen to learn more about how it all works including things not covered in the documentary. Such things like how the actual moulds are made, what are they made of, how the actual details of the object are cut into the moulds, how long do moulds last, and many other aspects of injection molding.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:53:01 am by Tracks »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 04:53:03 pm »
Excellent. I was trying to work out what it was, the aerial confused me as I thought it was the turret walls.

@Tracks: was that the How it's Made programme section on Renedra's figure manufacturing? That would seem a bit quaint to Our Gracious Hosts as they have been using traditional 3D pantograph techniques (usually requiring a 3 up master model) to mill the moulds. Especially quaint when they have used a 3D print as part of the process (but not so if the sculpting is done in the traditional manner).

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 01:14:41 am »
How high quality steel molds are produced with such fine detail has always interested me.

@ultravanillasmurf : No, it was not a "How it's Made" episode. I want to say it was a "Modern Marvels" show, but I just can't remember anymore, and I cannot find it now. It was a pretty good documentary, but a lot of the major details were not covered. This is reasonable since it was more of a general documentary than a detailed training film, so details about how the copper electrodes are made and then used to make the part cavity was largely overlooked.

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 01:16:23 am »

Very cool, it's nice to get a view of this part of the process :)