Author Topic: The Panzer IV Digital Library - PzIV Ausf H Painted 190816  (Read 187016 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Panzer IV Digital Library - Ausf F1 3D Drawings 170301
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2017, 02:26:00 am »
The bolted on hull armor was spaced , like on the IV D as well as the Panzer III . It was the hull side and nose armor that was bolted with no spacing .

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The Panzer IV Digital Library - Ausf J Wire-Mesh Test 170315
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2017, 10:02:28 pm »
Here is our Wire Mesh Side Skirt test for the Ausf J...
Still have not decided on how to produce it, awaiting
additional tests to decide!

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2017, 10:33:29 pm »
That would be some plastic moulding ^__^

Photo etch nickel silver or stainless steel?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2017, 10:58:46 pm »
That would be some plastic moulding ^__^
Photo etch nickel silver or stainless steel?

We have not decide yet.  This drawing is for plastic moulding - which we know our mould maker will probably kill us!
Looking into several solutions...  too early to decide.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2017, 11:02:48 pm »
I certainly admire you for trying to make this work.  I personally don't think it's worth it, but kudos if you can manage this in plastic.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:55:52 pm by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2017, 11:17:53 pm »
I certainly admire you for trying to make this work.  I personally don't thin it's worth it, but kudos if you can manage this in plastic.

We are still building up on our digital library.  Towards the end of phase 1 (technical drawings), we will need to gauge what we have done so far and then decide on what to do with the various drawings.  Still too early to say what will go into production.  We know there are some technical limitations, but you don't know the possibilities if you don't try!

;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2017, 11:18:34 pm »
In a good mood today, how about some 3D prototyping?

Enjoy!
;)

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2017, 12:54:22 am »
Nice work on the turret side hatches, a useful addition to the modelling options.
 As to the mesh skirts for the J, as primarily a gamer nowadays, I realise that there's often going to be a degree of compromise necessary to make a model for gaming & this is a prime case in point. I'd imagine any attempt at mesh schurzen would have to be overscale (& I'm absolutely ok with that) & pretty difficult to render effectively in plastic. My own attempts in the past have used the fine steel mesh found in cooking splatter-guards & that in fine plastic (PVC?) sieves (I believe others on the forum have already suggested it) with plasticard frames. They are, of course, compromises - any smaller & it gets difficult to not block the mesh with paint, defeating the object - but I'm glad you're continuing to search for a viable way of producing it, good luck!

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2017, 01:34:45 am »
I know that Pinky has expressed reservations on photo etch, but that might be a solution for the mesh, and perhaps for a nearer scale sheet skirt.

The cunning part would be how to integrate the photo etch and the plastic mouldings.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2017, 01:58:43 am »
I know that Pinky has expressed reservations on photo etch, but that might be a solution for the mesh, and perhaps for a nearer scale sheet skirt.
The cunning part would be how to integrate the photo etch and the plastic mouldings.

There are now multi-layer photo-etching techniques that are not available before.  Production cost is relatively high but results are quite acceptable.  We have devised a simple way to assembly the side skirts, but need to test it out later before putting it to action.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:04:20 am by Rubicon Models »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2017, 03:15:58 am »
Nice work on the turret doors , saves me the trouble   ::) . And  I think you are heading in the right direction in designing the Thoma Skirts , at this scale they are always going to be over scale to look right . . IRC most mesh skirts had a tube / pipe for the top full length support , not a bar like the plate skirts ( see pictures I posted page 8 this thread ) Also your turret side door is shown up side down , the vision slit is located at the bottom , and the pistol port door hinge at the top . I think you used the right side doors not the left for your example . I built a 1/35 scale kit like that once , many years ago  :-

Also the interior vision block is too flat , they stick out quite a bit

And it looks like the turret side doors lost their vision ports on the late J s - note no port

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:01:22 am by ripley »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2017, 08:03:45 am »
Nice work on the turret doors , saves me the trouble   ::) . And  I think you are heading in the right direction in designing the Thoma Skirts , at this scale they are always going to be over scale to look right . . IRC most mesh skirts had a tube / pipe for the top full length support , not a bar like the plate skirts ( see pictures I posted page 8 this thread ) Also your turret side door is shown up side down , the vision slit is located at the bottom , and the pistol port door hinge at the top . I think you used the right side doors not the left for your example . I built a 1/35 scale kit like that once , many years ago  :-

We know.  The bar is for plate skirt because of the weight.  We have not done the pipe version yet... also it sat much higher as the wire-mesh was "hanging" on the pipe.  We also found that out on the side door "after" we took the picture... it was a snapshot, so did not bother to take it again.  Just wanted to show you guys what we are in progress!

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2017, 08:30:54 am »
No worries .  I'm starting to think a J kit is going to be a 3 sprue  kit all by itself with  so many variations in parts .  And we want to model them all !  ::) .

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2017, 09:41:25 am »
Apparently the Panzer IV crews were none too happy with the modifications made to the Ausf J in order to simplify production.  The lack of powered turret traverse, loss of vision ports and mesh Schurzen (which wasn't effective against bazookas) all degraded the tank's effectiveness.  There were also issues with the quality of German armour plate by late 1944, which is why you see knocked out Panzers with large chunks missing from their armour.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:50:43 pm by Pinky »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2017, 10:51:12 am »
I can see removing the vision ports , you couldn't see any thing because of the turret and hull skirting . Plus it probably  saved time in manufacture and  some money as well . Funny they didn't add a Stug type all round vision cupola or some roof mounted periscopes like on the Jagdpanther .  Made them an easy target for enemy troops shooting from cover .