Author Topic: The Panzer IV Digital Library - PzIV Ausf H Painted 190816  (Read 186954 times)

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: The Panzer IV Digital Library - Ausf D Turret 170131
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2017, 04:39:49 pm »
I agree. This looks first class.

I can't help noticing this turret looks very similar to the Ausf C. I think with an alternate gun mantlet and side hatches (I think the vision ports weren't as deep) it could be built in this version as well. An expert will probably point out I'm wrong.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2017, 05:09:27 pm »
There were some quite prominent bolts on the cupola, although maybe these were omitted for moulding reasons.

You are correct, those bolts had to be omitted to eliminate moulding issues to save production cost.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2017, 05:17:25 pm »
Looking good.

chrismanu87

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2017, 10:07:05 pm »
It looks sooo good! I can't wait to see the Ausf.j ::)

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2017, 11:07:47 pm »
Creating these digital libraries will undoubtedly be hugely useful & I hope that they're eventually extended to the whole range.
 I'd be curious as to how Rubicon might handle the Ausf J's mesh schurzen, (if indeed they decide to) as I'd have thought it'd be a bit fine at this scale for easy plastic molding & while easier in PE, it'd probably be rather fragile for a wargaming model.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2017, 11:47:40 pm »
I'd be curious as to how Rubicon might handle the Ausf J's mesh schurzen, (if indeed they decide to) as I'd have thought it'd be a bit fine at this scale for easy plastic molding & while easier in PE, it'd probably be rather fragile for a wargaming model.

TBH, we are still having a big debate over at the studio on the Ausf J mesh schurzen... we now have 2 to 3 possible solutions, one not so realistic but practical, while the other one is realistic but very expensive to produce!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2017, 11:56:24 pm »
Is the mesh Schurzen really worth including?  It's very rarely seen in photos (although admittedly the Germans weren't taking as many photos by the time it appeared).  If it's not done properly then it's likely to look a bit rubbish.  If you were thinking about options to include in a late model Panzer IV kit (presumably covering the Ausf G, H and J), then you could consider including a turret for one of the anti-aircraft versions.  Just a thought...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:19:57 am by Pinky »

chrismanu87

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2017, 12:21:44 am »
maybe they can make it with only turret's schurzen it will not be so bad

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2017, 12:24:32 am »
Is the mesh Schurzen really worth including?  It's very rarely seen in photos (although admittedly the Germans weren't taking as many photos by the time it appeared).  If it's not done properly then it's likely to look a bit rubbish.

That's exactly part of the debate, lol.  We are still looking into it, we still have not reached the Ausf J.  Is a long way...

If you were thinking about options to include in a late model Panzer IV kit (presumably covering the Ausf G, H and J), then you could consider including a turret for one of the anti-aircraft versions.  Just a thought...

That was already in the plan!  ;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2017, 12:51:37 am »
That was already in the plan!  ;)

I suspected as much, as you the same thing so successfully with the Crusader.  A late Panzer IV with the option of building a Wirbelwind would be quite a kit!

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2017, 05:00:18 am »
IRC shurzen in true 1/48 scale looks like coffee filter material if you make it exact . You would have to make the holes bigger than 1/56 so the eye could actually see it ,  not to mention the problems you might have plugging the holes up when painting . That being said I have some plastic window screen that looks the part ( although not to scale  :-[ ) which I intend to use on the scratch J I'm working on

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2017, 05:13:34 am »
Would a plastic frame with a photo-etch mesh work as a first approximation, and a photo-etch frame for nearer scale?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2017, 06:03:16 am »
The supports on the hull were the same as the H . It was the bar on the actual panels the changed , instead of a C channel or a L shaped bar it was a pipe , so round plastic rod would work . IRC there was a thread on missing lynx about it  a few months ago .discussing how big it would be in 1/35 scale . ( IRC about 3mm diameter ). Plus the thread talked about using an IKEA frying pan slash guard for the mesh. So is pretty small in 1/35

Now that I'm home from work I can post some photos . The mesh looks  real small , maybe 1cm square ? That won't fly in 1/56 scale , have to be over sized . Also note the extended hull sides to incorporate the tow rings on the J in the top picture
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:37:47 am by ripley »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2017, 09:42:46 am »
I seem to recall that Nitto (anyone remember them?) provided 'mesh' Schurzen with their 1/76 scale Panzer IV.  Basically a criss-cross texture on solid plastic.  It didn't work. 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The Panzer IV Digital Library - Ausf F1 170201
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2017, 10:37:18 am »
We will worry about the "mesh" Schurzen when we come to it... now with an update on the Panzer IV hull in general.

Here is an almost finished Ausf F1 for preview...
NOTE: The turret mount MG was a mistake, forgot to remove it from the render!

Enjoy!
;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:39:12 pm by Rubicon Models »