Author Topic: SdKfz 251/1 Ausf D - Project CLOSED!  (Read 137240 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Our SdKfz 251/1 Ausf. D - updated with more 3D prototypes!
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2014, 12:33:58 am »
Ok, some comments, I had to register to give them :-)

If you are doing an Ausf. D you don't really need to provide both MG34 and MG42's, by the time the Ausf D was introduced all infantry used the MG42, MG34 was ONLY used on tanks and in armoured cars. Save yourself some space on the sprue, I'd rather have ammo boxes/belts/drums for the MG's than extra MG's.

Agreed, and I'd also like a few accessories like jerrycans.  As I mentioned in another thread, it'd be nice if the MG42s were reasonably robust, even if they're a bit overscale.

Basic halftrack, add 37mm to get the /10 command vehicle, replace with 28mm squeeze bore (not on all so is not essential if you can't fit it on the sprue) and add field bridges to get engineering vehicle. I think the /7 had some different internal layout to accomodate the assault engineers' heavy equipment but I don't think it's necessary.

I think these are very good suggestions.  Those options would provide the most important versions.  The engineer version actually had quite different stowage, but that could be 'overlooked' or greatly simplified.

Remember to give it the right seats in the troop compartment.  They were uncomfortable wooden slat seats, not comfy leather.

Dream17

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2014, 05:40:23 am »
Any chance of a panzerbusche 41 in the pioneer wagon kit??

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2014, 06:57:52 pm »
As the mould for our SdKfz 251/1 Ausf D is almost done, here is our smart design of the Stuka zu Fuss rack system we modeled as an add-on option:

As you can see, there is only 10 plastic parts per side... a total of 21 parts for the complete Stuka zu Fuss mount, yet highly detailed!!

;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Our SdKfz 251/1 Ausf. D - updated with Stuka zu Fuss parts & diagram
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2014, 03:59:01 pm »
The SdKfz 251 Ausf D first test sprues came in today!
Even though not perfect, we have done some trail assembly and close up inspections to further improve the quality of the various sprues.

Here is the assembled Stuka zu Fuss rack as shown on the 3D diagram above:

Here are the tracks and the canvas tops:

Enjoy!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2014, 07:55:55 pm »
It's exciting to see these in plastic, having seen the earlier 3-D images.

The design of of the Wurfrahmen 40 is ingenious.  The two large rectangular tabs on the lower bar of each frame look a bit crude though - presumably these are the brackets for the launch frames.  Can you improve them?

The tracks and running gear are very crisp and nicely cast.  The hubs should be a bit wider, and should have a protruding bolt in the centre (rather than being flat), as per the photos below, but that's a relatively minor detail.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:09:50 pm by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2015, 12:15:56 am »
The design of of the Wurfrahmen 40 is ingenious.  The two large rectangular tabs on the lower bar of each frame look a bit crude though - presumably these are the brackets for the launch frames.  Can you improve them?
This sprue is our first test run (T1) sprues, meaning no touch up, no polish, no fine detail... freshly created mould.  This is to give our studio time to compare the plastic parts with our original design, and to make possible changes BEFORE they move to T2... after T2, basically you cannot make changes without big alternations to the mould.  T3 is for final detail touch ups and minor modifications before commercial production starts!

The tracks and running gear are very crisp and nicely cast.  The hubs should be a bit wider, and should have a protruding bolt in the centre (rather than being flat), as per the photos below, but that's a relatively minor detail.
That protruding bolt is too small to be "drilled" onto the mould, and even if we put it there, you will not be able to see it in the plastic injection phase. Plastic bits might even get stuck in that area of the mould and damage it too!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2015, 02:45:35 pm »
This is our preliminary design of the waterslide decal for our SdKfz 251D series:

Any comments to improve the contents of the decal sheet is much appreciated!

;)

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
Re: Our SdKfz 251/1 Ausf. D - updated with Waterslide Decal Design
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2015, 03:40:30 pm »
Looks ok, but I'm not sure you need tactical markings in black by this time. I thought they would be painted in white only over dunkelgelb. I might be wrong though. But on the subject you have "Rifle Company" and "Armoured engineer company", right? I think Armoured infantry company would be better?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2015, 05:05:47 pm »
Looks ok, but I'm not sure you need tactical markings in black by this time. I thought they would be painted in white only over dunkelgelb. I might be wrong though. But on the subject you have "Rifle Company" and "Armoured engineer company", right? I think Armoured infantry company would be better?

What was the tactical marking for "Armoured Infantry Company"?  We could remove the black ones and add some new white ones too!

;)

VolleyfireAndy

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2015, 06:23:03 pm »
These transfers look excellent. Might I suggest selling them in packs of say 2-3 sheets separately, as I can see a lot of use for these

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2015, 06:41:54 pm »

What was the tactical marking for "Armoured Infantry Company"?  We could remove the black ones and add some new white ones too!

;)

I'm not 100% sure that the black wasn't used, I just can't recall seeing a black one.

Anyway, afaik the symbols are like small pictograms. Basically the one you have now for Infantry is a stylised truck (box with two wheels) meaning motorised infantry -- and the ones you have for armoured engineers above is a stylised halftrack with a symbol on top. The symbol means engineers (I think, it's a bit hard to make out in the picture). To have armoured infantry just remove the symbol on top so you have a stylised halftrack.

Platoon vs Company, the symbol is the same but the company have a fat black line on the "front" -- left hand side.

I'm trying to find a good online reference, but you definitely want the armoured symbol on a Sd.Kfz 251 :-)

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2015, 08:33:23 pm »
Found this online, it has some good examples.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2015, 10:46:33 pm »
I have seen photos of both black and white tactical signs on dark yellow.  I've also seen photos of SdKfz 251s with the Motorized Rifle tactical sign (i.e. the stylised truck), so including these is appropriate (although it seems illogical, given they would be Panzergrenadiers).  The tactical signs were simplified in 1943, and the correct signs for the 1943-45 period (during which the Ausf D was in use) are as per the chart in Laffe's post.  That means the Armoured Engineer signs on the transfer sheet are correct. Armoured Infantry signs would probably make more sense, in which case they should be the same minus the arrow on top, as Laffe said.

It's a nice set of decals.  I assume you decided not to include divisional signs?  They might actually be more useful than the tactical signs, which seem to have been increasingly rare in the late war period - at least on half-tracks.  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 11:45:12 am by Pinky »

Garga

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2015, 02:21:36 am »
I like the decals. Maybe you may add some more German crosses instead of the groups of 3 black numbers. Also it would be helpful if you also produce a set of decals with division signs that may be sold separately in packs of 2/3 so they can be used for all your German vehicles...

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2015, 04:23:30 pm »
I like the decals. Maybe you may add some more German crosses instead of the groups of 3 black numbers. Also it would be helpful if you also produce a set of decals with division signs that may be sold separately in packs of 2/3 so they can be used for all your German vehicles...

The three black numbers are for people who just want some numbers on their vehicles.  We are actually working on some standalone decal sets that are to be sold separately.  Should be available in a few month's time!

;)