Author Topic: SdKfz 251/1 Ausf D - Project CLOSED!  (Read 136170 times)

robbie039

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Reviving a Shelved Project – SdKfz 251/1 Ausf. D - updated with 3D parts
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 11:15:22 pm »
I would like de stuka zu fuss and the radio version

Porkmann

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 07:24:17 am »
The "D" is a winner.  I would love to see a "driling" version.

RedRowan

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 06:08:05 pm »
I would certainly like to see this project continued, really like the idea of having a number of options included in a kit.

Steve

Shark in Exile

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 07:38:42 pm »
How about adding the following variants
Sd.251/17 with 2cm cannon in a half turret which semi replaced the Sd.251/10 version.
Sd.251/21 Drilling version

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 07:59:44 pm »
Some 3D prototypes of the basic SdKfz 251/1 Ausf D - with and without canvas top!

Enjoy!
;)

Keith

• Cadet
    • View Profile
I think its looking great!

There are a couple of details that stand out as potential room for improvement. Might be useful for you?

There should also be a small vision slit for the driver and co-driver.

The tyre walls look flat, whereas there should be some curvature towards the edge (curve from the hub inwards to the edge, if that makes sense).

It would also be great if you can raise the exhaust muffler up a bit. It sits a bit low in the mudguard.

Any chance of a Notek light option along wit the current Bosch type? (I'm being cheeky now)

Other than that it looks really good and I'd certainly take a few. The options are great. I'd love to see the 251/9 at some point  ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:38:24 pm by Keith »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
There should also be a small vision slit for the driver and co-driver.
The tyre walls look flat, whereas there should be some curvature towards the edge (curve from the hub inwards to the edge, if that makes sense).
It would also be great if you can raise the exhaust muffler up a bit. It sits a bit low in the mudguard.
Any chance of a Notek light option along wit the current Bosch type? (I'm being cheeky now)
Other than that it looks really good and I'd certainly take a few. The options are great. I'd love to see the 251/9 at some point  ;)
The side vision slits are not available on all vehicles, will look into this in more detail.

I have to agree with you on the flatness of the tire-wall, will see if we can make some changes to make them look more natural.

Double checked the exhaust muffler, seems to be correct from our available blueprints; might be an angle issue with the photograph.

Will look into adding a Notek light... :)

The SdKfz 251/9  (with 75mm L/24 gun) is something that we are looking into!  No start date, but already had data on hand.

Thanks for all the comments.  It is good to see C&C before we move the project into mold making!

Keith

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Great news!

Final thought (for now). Is there any way that you can suggest the handles that run along the inner edges of the fighting compartment? They'd be too delicate if they were to scale, but there might be a clever way of representing them (perhaps without gaps).

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Final thought (for now). Is there any way that you can suggest the handles that run along the inner edges of the fighting compartment? They'd be too delicate if they were to scale, but there might be a clever way of representing them (perhaps without gaps).
We won't be doing those as they will create production problems for us.  But you can use brass wire or rod to represent them, that's what we use in the old days for prototyping!

Beekiller

• Cadet
    • View Profile
SdKfz 251/1 Ausf. D - updated with 3D prototypes
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 06:31:34 am »
I certainly congratule your effort. Not only on this 251, but on the resto of the line.

I'd suggest you to take into account that some people may buy let's say "251 with lot A" A including the MG version, the PAk37mm version and the 28mm AT gun. Those people may want to just built all the 3 gun options but the may want to present any of them on battlefield. Si I'd suggest they can be attached to the hull using the very same mechanism (pin)

Also I won't reduce number parts. People tend to go in panick when the parts to assemble are fiddly, but if they're easy to assemble, nobody will rant about the part number. Please do not mold the spade to the hull just to reduce part numbers.

Finally i can see you have modelled two paralel bars on the front hood. I think those were used on Stuka zu fuss versions. as a guide where to fire the rockets, but were not present on the rest of the 251 versions.

See ya

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: SdKfz 251/1 Ausf. D - updated with 3D prototypes
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 11:23:59 am »
I'd suggest you to take into account that some people may buy let's say "251 with lot A" A including the MG version, the PAk37mm version and the 28mm AT gun. Those people may want to just built all the 3 gun options but the may want to present any of them on battlefield. Si I'd suggest they can be attached to the hull using the very same mechanism (pin)
When we design the basic 251 chassis, all these considerations are already taken into account.  You will see some of the designs in a later post on the forum!

Also I won't reduce number parts. People tend to go in panick when the parts to assemble are fiddly, but if they're easy to assemble, nobody will rant about the part number. Please do not mold the spade to the hull just to reduce part numbers.
Part numbers are something that we need to take into account, this is due to the limited sprue space.  The result of the layout will affect mould making and the plastic injection process as well.  Of course, we do have our baseline on what parts should be separate and what is not!

Finally i can see you have modelled two paralel bars on the front hood. I think those were used on Stuka zu fuss versions. as a guide where to fire the rockets, but were not present on the rest of the 251 versions.
The technical drawings you've seen here are representation of a number of 251 variants.  The two parallel bars will only be used on the Stuka Zu Fuss version; therefore will be use on the standard 251 sprues.

;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
There are a couple of details that stand out as potential room for improvement. Might be useful for you?
WE DO LISTEN TO C&C SUGGESTIONS!!

Here are some minor changes to the tyre and a new option - Nortek Lights for the 251...

Thanks Keith!
;)

Keith

• Cadet
    • View Profile
That is great guys! Thanks for listening  ;D

Really can't wait to get some of these.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
More SdKfz 251 variant prototypes - SdKfz 251/5 (Assault Engineering Vehicle) and the SdKfz 251/8 (Ambulance):

The parts that make up the ambulance...

Please Note - the side stowage layout on the ambulance version (SdKfz 251/8) is incorrect.  This layout is only available on the Ausf. C version and had been updated on our 3D drawings.
C&C welcome!

;)

Keith

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Lovely - really nice level of detail in the 251/8 in particular. The interior framework is really well done.