Author Topic: Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer - Prototype 171228  (Read 48155 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer - Prototype 171228
« on: August 08, 2015, 05:05:54 pm »
A special project that we had been working on... The Hetzer!
How could we have a US tank destroyer without a German counterpart?

Jagdpanzer 38 Tank Destroyer

Background History of the Jagdpanzer 38 Tank Destroyer

The Jagdpanzer 38 (SdKfz 138/2), later known as Hetzer (“baiter”), was a WW2 German light tank destroyer based on a modified Czechoslovakian Panzer 38(t) chassis.

The Jagdpanzer 38 was intended to be more cost-effective than the much more ambitious Jagdpanther and Jagdtiger designs of the same period.  Using a proven chassis, it avoided the mechanical problems of the larger armoured vehicles.

It was better armored than the thinly armoured earlier Panzerjäger Marder and Nashorn with a sloped armour front plate of 60 mm sloped back at 60 degrees from the vertical (equivalent in protection to about 120 mm), carried a reasonably powerful 75mm gun, was mechanically reliable, small and easily concealed.  It was also cheap to build.  The Jagdpanzer 38 succeeded the open-top Marder III (based on the same chassis) in production from April 1944; about 2,584 were built until the end of the war.

The Jagdpanzer 38 fit into the lighter category of German tank destroyers that began with the Panzerjäger I, continued with the Marder series and ended with the Jagdpanzer 38.  The 75 mm PaK 39 L/48 gun of the Jagdpanzer 38 was a modified version of the 75 mm StuK 40 L/48 used in the StuG III and StuG IV assault guns.  With this gun the Jagdpanzer 38 was able to destroy nearly all Allied or Soviet tank types in service at long ranges (except heavy tanks) and its fully enclosed armor protection made it a safer vehicle to crew than the open-topped Marder II or Marder III series.

The Jagdpanzer 38 was one of the most common late-war German tank destroyers.  It was available in relatively large numbers and was generally mechanically reliable.  Like some other late-war German SPGs, the Jagdpanzer 38 mounted a remote-control machine gun mount which could be fired from within the vehicle.  This proved popular with crews, though to reload the gun a crewmember needed to expose himself to enemy fire.

Objective of our 1/56 plastic kit will be as follow:

- a 2 or 3 sprue plastic kit
- able to build either an Early, Mid or Late Hetzer tank destroyer
- with options to build a Flammpanzer as well
- three gun mantlet choices
- two road wheel sets
- multiple rear idler wheel choices

Will post prototypes when available!
Enjoy!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 02:05:25 pm by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: German Armoured Vehicle - RESERVED...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:16:35 pm »
Maybe this one is the Hetzer....

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
Re: German Armoured Vehicle - RESERVED...
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 05:43:04 pm »
Hm....  ;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer - 3D Images Uploaded 150813
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:05:49 pm »
How could we have a US tank destroyer without a German counterpart?
Introducing... The Hetzer!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 02:25:52 pm »
I haven't checked any references, but the drawings certainly look good.  I'm sure I'll buy one, it's just (IMO) one of the less interesting German SP guns.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 02:32:21 pm »
I haven't checked any references, but the drawings certainly look good.  I'm sure I'll buy one, it's just (IMO) one of the less interesting German SP guns.
Game-wise it is quite good... especially the Flammpanzer!

This also give us a platform to build early 38(t) and other variants using existing components from the Hetzer.  Still need to figure out how to deal with the bolts and nuts on the light tanks!  Is quite different from the Crusader in terms of problem-solving.

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:42:46 pm »
Hetzers gonna hetz  8)

This looks like a sweet kit.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 12:11:19 am »
Had a look at some references.  Your drawings seem to be quite accurate.  Lots of nice little details, like the revised driver's vision port, changes in the roadwheels (will you actually provide 2 different sets?), additional commander's hatch, and changes in the exhaust design, culminating in the Flamm-Vernichter on the late version.  Nicely done!

I think the only real issue is the dates you've given for the various versions.  For instance, the roadwheels were modified in August 1944, and the changes to the inner mantlet were on different dates to those shown.  The 'smooth' outer mantlet (without the 2 retaining bolts) wasn't introduced until August 1944.  I can't work out what the mantlet on 'Variant B' is meant to be - I can only identify 3 different mantlets.  The vision port was revised in October 1944, so your mid production version should still have the earlier type.     

The Flammpanzer version was built on the late (December 1944) model of the Hetzer, as per your drawing.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:21:53 am by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 12:33:34 am »
Pinky, the dates of these changes & variations are indeed very confusing.  We have several books on the Hetzer and everyone was providing conflicting dates.  We are using common dates plus some educated guess as to what period these changes were made.  So, the dates are just an indication about the time period.  In fact, many vehicles had wheels predated the required changes, probably because they still have stock or using refurbished components from destroyed Hetzer or 38(t) as the Germans had much less resources to procure sufficient parts to build more tanks!

And YES, we have two sets (early and late) of road wheels with this kit!  And as usual, you did your homework checking on us too!  Nicely done!

;)

moiterei_1984

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 02:11:34 am »
Well, this one will definitely find it's way into my collection. Certainly one of my all time favourites.

Suetonius Paullinus

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 04:14:06 am »
Omg this is awesome!!!
I'm gonna have to buy one for every variant I fear..better start saving my hobby pennies right now.
Such a sweet little tank killer  8)

Looking forward to seeing more of this beauty soon.

Cheers

SP

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:46 am »
Great idea for a  kit . But I don't think you can make everybody happy by trying to give us all the variations of the Hetzer . The book I have shows 2 road wheel types , 2 drive sprockets and 3 different rear idler wheels used through out production . You can also find mixed sets as the German's would start using new parts as soon as they arrived , and would install the remaining old parts as the new ran out . ( just look at some of the oddball features on the late Stugs for example  ). Don't drive yourself crazy , just release an early and a late version . And of course the Flamm  , only 20 built and used in the Ardennes ( Battle of the Bulge ) but I'm sure it will be real popular with the Gamers    ::)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 09:11:32 am »
The dates I mentioned are from Jentz, and he's normally pretty reliable.  But it's a fair point that sources conflict over things like production changes.  I think Ripley's suggestion is a good one - just provide an "early" version and a "late" version, and people can build their own intermediate version by combining parts.

The Flammpanzer version (again, according to Jentz) didn't see action until Operation "Nordwind", with Panzer-Flamm-Kompanie 352 and 353 (10 vehicles each). 

I don't suppose there's any chance of including a Bergepanzer 38 as well?  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:07:10 am by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 11:45:23 am »
The dates I mentioned are from Jentz, and he's normally pretty reliable.  But it's a fair point that sources conflict over things like production changes.  I think Ripley's suggestion is a good one - just provide an "early" version and a "late" version, and people can build their own intermediate version by combining parts.
That's what we have basically done!  Except that we have added one or two(?) "mid" version mantlet and a rear idle wheel to complete the variants.  This little beast is a THREE sprue kit... didn't expect that!  Was planning it to be a 2-spruer!

I don't suppose there's any chance of including a Bergepanzer 38 as well?  :)
Don't push for it!  >:(

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 05:01:23 pm »
I dunno if those two "intermediate" mantlets are really worth including.  The early and late types seem to cover it.  I'd suggest that you include a tow cable instead - it was carried looped around the circular rear access hatch.  And maybe an additional antenna mount for the command version?

Really impressed with the level of research on this one - well done.