Author Topic: Digital Sculpts - German Officer in Heer Uniform 200730  (Read 264263 times)

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Sculpts - German Infantryman 180215
« Reply #405 on: February 16, 2018, 12:54:51 am »
I don’t like metal figures, however I’ll comprimise for US infantry in this scale!
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 16, 2018, 01:15:19 am »
Any idea when we can see unpainted/unbased ones?
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 16, 2018, 04:14:17 am »
So are the production ones going to be in metal or are these just samples?
These are pewter and are production samples.  Will be the same as the commercially available ones!

I am probably in the minority here because I prefer plastic figures, so I will have to pass on these pewter (metal) figures. What a shame because they look like they would blend in well with Perry figs. That is, they are more anatomically correct.

I will not bore everyone about my views (the pros and cons) of metal and plastic figures. This would be a very long post if I did. However, I will say this. Out of sixty Blitzkrieg plastic Germans (2x box sets) I just assembled last week, no two figures are the same.* With plastic. there is a great range of variety and customization. This is just impossible to do with metal figs. You get stuck with whatever the sculptor made - including the bad/silly poses.

*unless it was a nice pose I really liked, then I doubled or tripled it.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 16, 2018, 08:39:27 am »
I agree with Tracks , plastic over metal / resin figures any day . That being said , a gun or tank crew where you would only have one , metal would be ok . I have a nice Empress Minatures metal  Russian  machine gun and crew , but I wouldn't want 2 or 3 of the same set Plastics on the other hand , I can build how I want . These are a couple of mg crews from the BA early war plastic Germans

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:44:15 am by ripley »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 16, 2018, 02:48:11 pm »
Making good plastic figures need experience, particularly with multi-pose ones; otherwise, they will look terrible.  Making quality metal figures will give us the experience in many aspects of sculpting and production... In the end, will enable us to produce a high standard plastic figure set for each nation.  At least, that is the plan... ;)

In the meantime, we will continue to release PLASTIC figures in blister packs in parallel with our metal figure releases.  With metal figures, we are able to UPGRADE their sculpt details and poses when we do recasts, that's an advantage over their plastic counterparts.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:58:19 pm by Rubicon Models »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #410 on: February 16, 2018, 06:01:30 pm »
Making good plastic figures need experience, particularly with multi-pose ones; otherwise, they will look terrible.
Very true, even with experience they can look uninspiring:http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Freeborn

Making quality metal figures will give us the experience in many aspects of sculpting and production... In the end, will enable us to produce a high standard plastic figure set for each nation.  At least, that is the plan... ;)
That is a laudable objective.

For World War Two figures, I am looking at plastics, partly (as mentioned above) because of their multipose nature (and cost) but also because some of the metals leave a lot to be desired (moulds past their use by date etc.).

For Weird War Two,  I am looking at metals. Partly this is due to equipment (such as Assault Brens http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/westwind-sotr-paras-starter-set-squad.html) and partly due to style (even though some of them suffer moulding issues).

Saying that, I am looking at Empress Volksgrenadier for Weird War and Mutton Chop British for early war (hopefully they will match up with the Warlord ones:http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/british-expeditionary-force-1940-part.html).

The Perry's have the advantage of a theatre to themselves, Our Gracious Hosts will either need to match their competitors either in breadth of range or compatibility of design. Releasing metals would seem to move the pointer towards the latter.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 16, 2018, 08:59:34 pm »
@Rubicon Models
Just wanted to share something with you (and others). I modified one of the plastic crew figures from one of your excellent model kits to create this all new standing figure (currently unpainted) you see below. It is not finished yet because I have to do a little clean up here and there (mold line on helmet for example), but this is a custom plastic figure. I used parts A15, A13, and A11 from the CCKW-353 kit (280037) and the part 2D from the SdKfz 250 expansion kit (280048) to create this new and unique figure. Of course I had to modify part A11, but that was very easy. Because all the bits are plastic, this custom figure was very easy to create. Power to the plastic ;)

@ripley
Good example of what you can do with plastic figure box sets. I like what you did with that one MG team where you have the gunner loading his MG34. I too had made something very similar to this from the Blitzkrieg box set.

@everyone
Do not be shy to explore and use your imagination. You can also use bits from other plastic box sets to create even more of a variety in your 28mm WW2 collection of figures. You might already know this, but just in case I will mention this anyway. You can mix and match from different plastic box kits. Did you know that the arms from the Fallschirmjäger plastic box set and the arms from the US Airborne plastic box set can be mixed? Not all of them, but you can use some because the closed cuffs pretty much look the same. This also applies to other plastic box sets as well. British, American, and Soviet arms. I always keep the extra bits for this reason. And its not just the WW2 figures. I have been able to modify many 28mm plastic Dark Ages figures from different box sets. And there is a long list of 28mm plastic figure conversions from Napoleonic gamers. Power to the plastic ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:02:01 pm by Tracks »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 17, 2018, 01:26:39 am »
Tha'ts a great idea for a Gallery thread ,tracks . Power to the Plastic !

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Sculpts - Figure Casting 180316
« Reply #413 on: March 16, 2018, 06:01:45 pm »
The metal army of Rubicon gathering up strength at the packing line ready for the landing on our UK/US webstore!

Enjoy!
;)

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Sculpts - Figure Casting 180316
« Reply #414 on: March 16, 2018, 07:55:28 pm »
That's very interesting.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Sculpts - US Forward Observers 180318
« Reply #415 on: March 18, 2018, 01:44:48 pm »
Was going through the pile of 3D prototype records and found this... US Forward Observers!
Will include these in our upcoming figure blister releases (probably second wave). First wave releases are upon us!

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #416 on: March 18, 2018, 04:21:02 pm »
They look good, no idea on the uniform.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 18, 2018, 04:45:55 pm »
The only thing I would say is that the sleeve shirt of the guys laying down seem to defy gravity somewhat.

Otherwise they’re really nice and I look forward (pun intended) to including these in myUS army when I redo the whole thing with your models.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #418 on: March 18, 2018, 05:24:00 pm »
The only thing I would say is that the sleeve shirt of the guys laying down seem to defy gravity somewhat.
I see what you mean, the sleeve might be made of 2cm foam, that is why it stands up that way ^_^.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 18, 2018, 06:14:59 pm »
Looks like the hands plug into the arms, which would explain why it needs to be done that way.