Author Topic: Anyone for a sheridan ?  (Read 1938 times)

emmanuel

• Private
    • View Profile
Anyone for a sheridan ?
« on: December 11, 2020, 06:30:39 am »
Hello
I am delighted by the perspective of a vietnam area 28mm kits. So with the future release of the UH1D and the ford MUTT I would be pleased to have a M551 sheridan tank for my rubicon's marines in vietnam :)

In vietnam the Sheridan was much appreciated by the infantry, who were desperate for direct-fire support, and generally served in armored cavalry units along with ACAVs (M113s). Armor units consisted solely of tanks (minus headquarters company) and mechanized infantry units consisted solely of M113s. In this role, the real problem with the Sheridan was its limited ammunition load; normally, only 20 rounds and 8 missiles; although, as the M551s in Vietnam service were not equipped with missiles or their guidance equipment, this increased the basic load of conventional rounds.
among different Combat field modifications, a common field-modification was to mount a large steel shield, known as an "ACAV set" (Armored Cavalry Assault Vehicle), around the commander's 50-cal. (12.7 mm) gun, allowing it to be fired with some level of protection.
An other standard modification made during the mid-70s was the addition of the "Cereal Bowl" commander's cupola.
Post-Vietnam War service
The Army began to phase out the Sheridan in 1978, although at the time there was no real replacement. Nevertheless, the 82d Airborne Division was able to keep them until 1996.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:59:12 am by emmanuel »

emmanuel

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone for a sheridan ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 04:04:14 am »
some more images as a tribute to this cold war tank