Author Topic: The visual appeal of 1:56 (28mm) scale figures.  (Read 24130 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: The visual appeal of 1:56 (28mm) scale figures.
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 01:40:01 am »
On the bases, if you use 25mm round bases, the Warlord lipped bases mean you do not need to remove the Perry integral bases.

Ad

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2020, 04:23:15 pm »
I don`t know what happened too the Wargames Factory 28mm WW2 figures. I know Warlord games have all the rest of their figure ranges but the WW2 stuff have vanished and I do not know if they are available anymore.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2020, 01:04:55 pm »
@Dragonstriker - Thanks, I'll have a closer look at Offensive miniatures. I have never heard or seen these figures before. From a quick look at their site, it looks like they focus on certain figures.

@ultravanillasmurf - I usually leave the bases on, but I have to remove the base/stand if I plan to use the figure in a vehicle. For example, to get one to fit into on of my Rubicon Models M3 Half-Tracks, I had to remove the figure's base/stand.

@Ad - Wargames Factory made 28mm WW2 figures? Well, will you look at that (after a google search)... yes they did. They look good. They even had 28mm WW2 Soviets! Do you have these? What do you think of them? Pictures? Looks like they are going to be hard to get now. Shame because they look good, and not that bulky "heroic size".

Back in the day, I did picked up Wargames Factory 28mm plastic American War of Independence figures. I like the look (not heroic sized at all) and detail of these figures. They also blend in with the Perry Miniatures. I prefer the Wargames Factory AWI figures when it comes to choices, poses, and overall look, but both AWI lines (Wargames Factory and Perry Miniatures) are good.

DaveL

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 01:40:02 am »
I hear tell from a FB post (I’ve been unable to relocate it though) that Enpress WWII minis are a good fit with Rubicon’s. I’m skeptical because their website doersn’t specifically indicate that they’re 1/56 scale.

Does anyone have any experience with the Empress line?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 01:57:36 am »
Empress make nice figures.

The WW2 figures are 28mm scale (by Paul Hicks who sculpted the earlier Warlord figures).

As are the French Indochina...

And the Vietnam War ones.

I will try and take some comparison shots.

In the meantime, here is a comparison shot of a Paul Hicks Warlord BEF and a Perry Eighth Army figure.

On the figure front, only Perry Figures are similar to Rubicon.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 03:46:44 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2020, 09:06:30 am »

I will try and take some comparison shots.

Looking forward to seeing these.

DaveL

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2020, 12:12:49 pm »
I’m interested in a size comparison too. This is an image of some of their German Volksgrenadiers. They look like really nice sculpts, but only if I can work them in with the Rubicon figs.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2020, 07:02:04 am »
Sorry for the delay.

(unfinished) Empress Late War British, Rubicon Zhukov, Empress Early War.

Somewhere I have a Rubicon British infantryman, but I have been unable to find it.

DaveL

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2020, 09:10:39 am »
That looks to be a pretty good match size and weight wise, maybe a little larger on the Empress side, but probably acceptable.  And, those are some fabulous paint jobs. Thanks for the posting!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 09:18:03 am by DaveL »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2020, 10:29:48 am »
This is a useful comparison, thanks for doing this. Do you have other 28mm figures to compare with.
Would like to see how others compare. Something like Rubicon Models, with Wargames Factory, Perry Miniatures, Offensive, Empress, and Warlord of course.

I wish I had a slew of different figures so I can post a sample comparison of the different manufactures, but sadly I do not have these or access to these. We do have a lot of plastic Warlord (Bolt Action) 28mm figure, and we have a few Perry Miniatures (plastic), but we only have a few Rubicon Models figures. The main reason is because it's not easy to get this stuff in Thailand. Especially now with the current situation.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2020, 02:58:34 am »
This is a useful comparison, thanks for doing this. Do you have other 28mm figures to compare with.
Would like to see how others compare. Something like Rubicon Models, with Wargames Factory, Perry Miniatures, Offensive, Empress, and Warlord of course.
I will see what I can do.
I do not have any Offensive WW2 figures (the rioters and hostage rescue are different sizes  to each other). I also do not have any Wargames Factory WW2.

Left to right are Factory with AK47, Empress British, Factory with L85, CD William Killan and finally another Factory figure with an AK47.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:09:04 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2020, 03:19:02 am »
My type standard figure is the sadly discontinued Crooked Dice William Killian (here the time travelling terminator hunter version).
Here he is with Warlord Games Russian and US Army (original) armed with Warlord Games Survivor weapons.

This compares William with Rubicon's Hobart.

Rubicon Studebaker.

New photographs will have to wait until the weekend (no light ).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 03:58:55 am by ultravanillasmurf »

DaveL

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2020, 12:50:09 am »
Steve, of Age of Glory Historical Miniatures, the U.S. distributor of Empress Miniatures, was kind enough to send me a couple of sample figures to compare with my Rubicon figures.

They are very nice, clean figures, but as you can see from the photo (Empress on the left, Rubicon on the right), the Empress figs are a bit larger in proportions when compared to the Rubicon.

I’ll definitely be ordering more Rubicon, but I think I’ll probably be ordering some Empress eventually, but I’ll segregate them in different units so the differences are not so apparent.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:46:59 am by DaveL »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2020, 11:54:53 am »
A nice comparison. Thanks for sharing.
I keep hearing that the Wargames Factory WW2 figures blend in very well with Rubicon Models and Perry Miniatures figures.

I don't have the figures to do it, but it would nice to see a good comparison like what "www.deepfriedhappymice.com" does with 15mm Napoleonic figures. Might be useful for some to see a side by side comparison of figures from Rubicon Models, Wargames Factory, Empress Miniatures, Perry Miniatures, and any other figures that might work well together.

Because of their "heroic" sizes, is it even worth showing any Warlord figures?

Pic from "deepfriedhappymice"

Nadir_E

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2021, 10:16:31 am »
I for one prefer the anatomically correct figures - the "heroic" stuff looks cartoonish to me.  YMMV