Author Topic: Rubicon Models Panther Ausf G  (Read 3609 times)

Geoff

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Rubicon Models Panther Ausf G
« on: February 26, 2019, 12:14:45 pm »
This is my first Rubicon Models build, and first model build in 1/56th (28mm) scale. The aim of this build is to put the Panther into a diorama rather than game play, so I did some scratch-building and added some items from Rubicon's German Stowage Kit. The tank is presented as it might have appeared in February or early March, 1945, during the Wehrmacht's last ditch defense of the Rhineland. The tank is painted to represent several months in the field over the winter of 1944-45.

Geoff

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Rubicon Models Panther Ausf G
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 12:21:17 pm »
Sorry, this is my first time posting photos to this site, so don't know how large I can make the images. If you click on the above pics of the Panther you should be able to see larger images. I added wire handles to the hatches in place of the plastic tabs, filed off the molded on tow cleats and tools on the hull sides and added scratch-built cleats and tools. I also added grills to the engine vents and fan housings on the rear deck - made from nylon bridal veil material found at a local sewing shop. The tow cables are made from silver silk twisted thread found at Hobby Lobby and glued to the tow cable ends that come with the stowage kit. I then washed the thread/cables with rust brown paint wash.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 01:09:34 pm »
It looks good, Geoff.  You've captured the look of German armour at that time - scruffy and caked in mud.  I doubt many Panzers survived more than a few weeks in the field, given their lack of spares, fuel shortages and low reliability, but they quickly acquired this appearance.  Thanks for sharing.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 04:02:07 pm »
Very nice work.

I love the tow cable.

So what are you building next?

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 06:22:41 pm »
Looks good. You going to also post pictures of the diorama when its done?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 08:30:36 pm »
Looks great