Author Topic: King Tiger - Assembly Video 201106  (Read 67640 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: King Tiger - Proposed Features 190402
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2019, 04:50:04 am »
Further to the exhaust shrouds, it might have been te illustration in the Guideline book on camouflage on British and Canadian vehicles, which oddly has a number of German photographs and illustrations as well (including the panther with the bath on the rear deck). That has the prototype turret I think.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 04:57:26 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2019, 05:01:16 am »
Bovs JTiger has the Porsche type suspension , IRC only the first 8 or 9 JTigers got it . Ferdinand  Porsche sure liked to jump the gun and get stuff into production before he had the contracts in his hands , and by this time since they seemed to be losing  the war  the Germans were desperate enough to find a use for them

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2019, 07:02:50 am »
Here's some pictures I've found . #1 Porsche turret , Tiger I style exhaust with sheet metal covers

#2 Porsche turret , Tiger II curved exhaust , sheet metal covers

#3 the weird exhaust set up tank that ended up in Switzerland (  or Sweden ) and then they blew it up

Here's 2 parts of a build timeline for Tiger II that I got off the Missing Lynx site , a few years ago . The author compiled all  info by going through Jens & Doyle Tiger books  with a fine tooth comb .

It is referenced now and again on the site so I think its a good guide for changes in the Tiger builds . I'll also add the turret and paint timeline from the same author. Use at your own discression

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:06:39 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2019, 03:13:06 pm »
Excellent.

Thanks.

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2019, 10:30:30 pm »
2) Zimmerit was applied on in different ways. Molded on zim is all the same!
3) Not all vehicles would get zimmerit, but if molded on, well, you do not get that option.
I think you'll find that any Rivet counter will tell you all Zimmerit was applied exactly the same way to perfect standards. There was never any deviation ever. No exceptions.
And all tanks that would get zimmerit would have it.
No exceptions.

It's all in the ladybird book of "how to be a rivet counter and get everything wrong".

;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2019, 12:28:46 am »
Thanks for reminding me James.

Plate A1 in the Osprey NVG book has the prototype turret with the shielded exhaust and I guess the deep wading equipment (a raised structure on the engine deck to take the snorkel?).

There appears to be no plates or photographs in the Images of War book, and the large plate in the Guidelines book which currently eludes me (so I cannot give the page number).

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2019, 10:55:24 pm »
Camouflage & Markings, Armour in Theatre Normandy Campaign Part 1 British and Canadian forces volume 2.
Page 46, Guideline publications.
Plate with prototype turrret and exhausts in shields.

I bet you have forgotten the question....

[edit] stupid keyboard
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 08:18:30 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: King Tiger - Some progress... 190503
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2019, 12:46:24 pm »
Slowly getting there...

Enjoy!
;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: King Tiger - Some progress... 190503
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2019, 08:14:18 pm »
Looking good . Just remember , if your going to add internal goodies to your kits , just be sure all the vehicle hatches or panels that were removeable by mechanics  can be displayed in an open position . Trumpeter went all out in 1/35 with a ( semi ) complete interior Maus , and molded the engine compartment doors closed !  Because of that a lot of 1/35 guys who were really excited about the release  didn't buy one . What's the point , full interior , no way to see it

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: King Tiger - Final Project Details Released 190617
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2019, 04:45:28 pm »
We had been trying to keep the King Tiger project hidden from public eyes and not to disclose any information more than needed.

This year being our 5th anniversary, we would like to officially announce full details about this project...  this is the most ambitious project to-date - a 1/56 scale all-plastic King Tiger with interior details.

Phase 1 will be a late production King Tiger without Zimmerit, followed by another release with both early and late production turrets with Zimmerit. Additional supporting accessories will also be released as the project progress.

Thank you all again for the support over the years.

Enjoy!
;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2019, 09:08:07 pm »
Fantastic !

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2019, 09:46:20 pm »
 That is potentially a superb model - into scale model territory :) Even if (like me) you don't require the level of detail to extend to  the interior (for gaming at any rate), the parts themselves will provide an excellent source of details for scenery pieces - field repair depots & the like :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:48:49 pm by Ballardian »

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2019, 01:39:08 am »
My goodness. That’s going to be impressive  :o

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2019, 03:02:05 am »
My only concern would be the cost of such a detailed kit. I am a gamer, not a model builder. I have no need for any of the interior components. Being able to have a hatch open so I can place a commander is all I would need. If the cost of the kit increases substantially because of all the extra sprues, it just means that when I eventually get around to becoming a late war gamer, I would go for someone else's cheaper kit.

So I hope the details don't drive the price of the kit through the roof.

In fact, ideally (for me) the interior is a separate kit, so those who want it can pay for it, and those of us who don't need it can get the cheaper kit we want.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2019, 04:37:32 am »
Awesome.

Though I do agree with Ballardian and EWGs concerns.