Author Topic: Jagdpanzer Beutepanzer SU-75/L70 (r)  (Read 3951 times)

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
Jagdpanzer Beutepanzer SU-75/L70 (r)
« on: December 30, 2018, 07:06:31 pm »
Converted fictional Rubicon SU-122.
This unfortunately has not been very popular amongst those I've shown it to so far and has received more negativity than the last Beutepanzer.
So I'll probably not do any more and stick to generic stuff as it's quite depressing after all the work. But being called unimaginative isn't fun really.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Jagdpanzer Beutepanzer SU-75/L70 (r)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:41:43 pm »
I think this is the best one you've done so far . It's a plausible up- gun for this vehicle . I think the problem is people are confused about what your trying to show with your build . Here's some random thoughts  : The paint scheme is nothing color wise like any German scheme , late 44 or even the "46 style what if " paint . Beute vehicles should have large , I say again LARGE German national markings , while the guys in your tank platoon know your driving a captured vehicle , your Air Force , and your Anti tank gunners , don't know that .  They were taught to recognize the shape of enemy planes and vehicles way before the vehicle markings could be seen . Your a dead man walking

The American helmet and packs look out of place on an Eastern front vehicle , and it would be an eastern front vehicle  as that's where they could find / get spare parts to keep it running . So maybe a Russian DP 1928 light machine gun up on the roof ( the one with the pan cake looking ammo drum ) .
When adding kit to the vehicle it a good idea to base it on reality , so no spare T-34 wheels . Spare sproket and transmission ( !  ) were seen early war (40/41) but no spare wheels . When the T-34 got shot up , the Russians just replaced the whole tank , they made so many of them (54.000 ) .Now one unit did replace damaged road wheels with Panther road wheels , there are a couple of pictures out there that have been proven to be true by historical experts , how they figured out this would work , no one knows , just that they did it

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:00:24 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 02:41:31 am »
As I said on Lead Adventures, it is a nice piece of kit. Please keep on building.

Ripley does make a few good points, but I disagree with the comment about the spare wheel. It might be true of a Russian vehicle, but this is a German vehicle. They would want spares with them as they would not have spare vehicles to replace any that lost a wheel.

I look forward to seeing a T34 with a complete set of Panther wheels (and as I mentioned on LAF with a KWK42/70).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:43:22 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 06:55:21 am »
The Germans didn't seem to carry any spare T-34 wheels in the hundreds of pictures I've seen of Buete -34s , although I would think the Germans would have a lot better recovery and repair units than the Russians , so spare wheels at a repair depot I could see . I wonder how much a pair of these wheels weight ? Maybe the weight was a factor in not carrying spares ( never seen single wheels carried on vehicles either )

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 09:52:06 pm »
I couldn't fit any large markings on due to space. And I'm not a huge fan of them really.

The paint scheme is just something random. I was getting very bored doing Chestnut. Green and Brown.
So I just made something up.

American packs and helmets are just trophies because a friend does Americans.
Plus I have no other Stowage.
I don't really model for particular fronts as it's a gaming piece. Not a scale model.

I don't own any panther wheels as i have no panthers.
Just seemed logical to nick wheels off wrecked 34's

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 05:16:25 pm »
I don't own any panther wheels as i have no panthers.
Just seemed logical to nick wheels off wrecked 34's
Ah, my Hercules Sherman VC project required a lot of the German Stowage sets (plus I use a lot of German jerry cans where the W^D logo is not visible ^__^.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:07:29 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:14:59 pm »
@Ripley: you make good point about the absence of spare wheels on German T34s.

If they were where the external fuel tanks were located, they could be viewed as being a counterweight to the L70 gun (similar to the spare track on the late model Stugs).

Counter-wise, the l/70 conversion might produce a vulnerability that placing the spare wheel there might mitigate.