Author Topic: Panzer III, SturmHetzer, Firefly, Easy 8  (Read 4283 times)

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
Panzer III, SturmHetzer, Firefly, Easy 8
« on: August 08, 2018, 05:28:02 am »
Panzer III and 105mm SturmHetzer were my first Rubicon kits. I really want to redo them from scratch with crew. Saddened to see the Panzer III now gone with the Panzer IV.

I felt like with the firefly I was getting back into my groove.
The green is bright...but I like it.
The machine gun was left on for use with the 105mm turret.

The Easy 8 has the unfortunate link to being received on the exact same day a beloved friend committed suicide.
I named it after her and put the most effort I could into it.

I hope my next purchases to be a Stug and T34/85. Though with the 222/223 now out I might get that.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Panzer III, SturmHetzer, Firefly, Easy 8
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:49:39 am »
Nice variety of tanks . Really like the Firefly . Its not a bad thing that the Pzr III and IV are gone . The Pzr III should only have 3 raised hatches across the rear deck , it has 4 . Plus the road wheels are the wrong pattern ( they look like they are from that 70s era Brit APC that re-enactors  use to make their fake IIIs and Stugs) plus the rubber part was way too thin  . The Panzer IV also had a few , but I don't remember what they were . The good news is Rubicon is totally re doing them , IRC 2 versions of the III  and 3 versions of the IV . Check the Work In Progress forums for more details

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:56:23 am »
I don't personally mind mistakes really. It's just representations on a table.

But for now it just makes it impossible to get a panzer IV due to warlords being out of stock for a year now.
And the Warlord panzer 3 tracks are rubbish.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 09:44:21 am »
I build mine more as scale models . Pity the BA IV is out of stock . Actually with a little TLC the III tracks fit together pretty good . Just takes a bit of practice . How long you been building models ? Here's a few of mine , left to right - Rubicon Tiger I , BA Pzr III early N , late N , and late Tiger

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:06:16 pm »
Nice job.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 10:51:16 pm »
But for now it just makes it impossible to get a panzer IV due to warlords being out of stock for a year now.
And the Warlord panzer 3 tracks are rubbish.

Good work jamesvalentine, and don't worry too much about Rubicon's PzIII and PzIV kits. They are going to release new and improved versions of these tanks sometime in the future.

As for the Italeri (Warlord/Bolt Action) PzIII, I can tell you from personal experience after having assembled four of these kits that the track parts will go together perfectly if using a little care/skill with simple fitting/adjustment/trimming. The one aspect that many do not like about the Italeri PzIII kit are the road wheels, and prefer the Rubicon's PzIII kit for its representation of the road wheels.

Is that helmet on the back of Panzerjäger 38(t) from one of the Bolt Action German plastic infantry sets? You know what is interesting, from that angle it almost looks like the US Army ACH type of head gear.

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 03:43:05 am »
Actually with a little TLC the III tracks fit together pretty good .
How long you been building models ? Here's a few of mine , left to right - Rubicon Tiger I , BA Pzr III early N , late N , and late Tiger

Meh. I don't mind cutting the long tabs off and fiddling the tracks. I just don't see why I should XD.
If only Tamiya had done warlords stuff...

And so far I've been wargaming and model making since I was 6yrs old. So 24yrs now.

And looking good. I really must pick up a Tiger.  Just not easy on my budget nowadays.
Nice job.
Cheers.
Good work jamesvalentine, and don't worry too much about Rubicon's PzIII and PzIV kits. They are going to release new and improved versions of these tanks sometime in the future.

Is that helmet on the back of Panzerjäger 38(t) from one of the Bolt Action German plastic infantry sets? You know what is interesting, from that angle it almost looks like the US Army ACH type of head gear.
I am looking forwards to rubicons new Panzer IV. I really need a couple since its the main german tank.

And yeah it's from the Warlord SS kit. I don't really know much about US helmets to comment on similarity. Though you're not the first to comment on it.