Rubicon Models > Showcase & Gallery

Tracks' M4 Medium tank thread

(1/23) > >>

Tracks:
Because of Rubicon Models, I have now massed a small collection of M4 Medium tanks (AKA Sherman tanks). To date, I have in plastic five Rubicon Models plastic Sherman kits and two plastic Sherman kits of another manufacture. I also have two resin Sherman tanks, but compared to the plastic kits, these resin kits are just awful! For plastic, I have a total of seven, but currently only four are competely finished (assembled and painted).

Because I have so many more M4 Medium tanks than any other tank in my miniature gaming collection, why not start a separate thread featuring only Sherman tanks. I have other tanks including three Panzer IVs (only one is Rubicon), so that might become another thread when Rubicon Models starts releasing the new Panzer IVs.

If Rubicon Models does not mind, I hope to also compare their fantastic plastic Sherman kits to other manufactures of plastic Sherman kits, but more on that later. Hopefully this information will be useful to new comers into this hobby.

Tracks:
These two plastic Sherman tanks are the M4A3/M4A3E8 kits (#280042) which include several wonderful options. Note that one of the models has the VVSS suspension while the other has the HVSS suspension. Both have the gaming HMG (part D05) option. These are very nice model kits for gaming! Highly recommended.

I pretty much assembled the kits right out of the box with no major modifications*, changes, or additions. They have also been assembled and painted for the purpose of gaming only, so they are painted to a basic "gaming standard", and not for competition or static display. That being said, please feel free to comment.

*I did make a light modification while assembling these models. The HMGs on both tanks can swivel (turn). They are not fixed in place.

The assembly instructions for this kit are very good, but its an excellent idea to follow the warning in the READ THIS FIRST box on step 2! Why? Well, its not so obvious, but one bogie on each side for the VVSS suspension is different than the others. The flat part has a slight angle (parts A14 and A15). These two parts must go in a specific location and they are not interchangeable with the other bogies. Surprisingly, the instructions does not make note of this, but I noticed it when carefully examining the parts and test fitting. It would be easy for a new modeler or a rushed modeler to miss this little detail. Especially since the other parts (A12, A13, A16, A17) can be press fitted into the location for A14 and A15.

A note about step 2. The angle of the hatch (part D02) is correctly shown for an open hatch. These hatches did not open all the way (180 degrees). Some modelers get this wrong. Also, except for that tab piece, parts A19 and D03 are the same.

ultravanillasmurf:
They look very nice.

Thanks for the heads up about the VVSS parts, I have three (one of each) of the New Rubicon Shermans awaiting building (and another original M4A3). Pinky's point about the transmission cover on the Hybrid is also useful to know (save your part D22 from the 76mm kits).

Pinky:
Lovely painting and weathering, as usual. 

The problem with saving the 'sharp nose' transmission housing from this kit is that all 76mm Shermans seem to have had it, so you shouldn't use the rounded version on this kit.

Btw - for some reason I don't seem to be able to post photos (again!).

ultravanillasmurf:

--- Quote from: Pinky on April 17, 2018, 11:43:38 pm ---Btw - for some reason I don't seem to be able to post photos (again!).

--- End quote ---
Your existing photographs appear to have disappeared.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version